Start by marking “Roses Love Garlic: Companion Planting and Other Secrets of Flowers” as Want to Read:
Roses Love Garlic: Companion Planting and Other Secrets of Flowers

Roses Love Garlic: Companion Planting and Other Secrets of Flowers

From deterring insect pests with hot peppers to encouraging strawberries by bordering them with chrysanthemums, Louise Riotte shows you how to use the natural qualities of common plants to increase your garden’s productivity. Roses Love Garlic profiles hundreds of plants, features sample garden designs, and includes recipes for using your harvest to make herbal cosmetics, ...more
Published January 2nd 1998 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Roses Love Garlic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roses Love Garlic

Michelle
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plants
Once there was a partly shaded rosebush at the entrance to myLaguna Beach home-I rented, so I couldn't remove the rosebush to a sunnier spot, and the coastal fog rolled in and over this rose bush. It was being eaten alive by aphids. I planted organic garlic bulbs in it's dirt after reading Roses Love Garlic...>/i> , and the new rose leaves grew in full and healthy and the aphids disappeared. I even remember it flowering, and it turned out to be a red rose.
Andrea
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved Carrots Love Tomatoes so much that perhaps my hopes were too high for this book. Although there is some useful information, most of the flowers and plants in the book aren't things a majority of people would plant or even have access to. For example a patchouli plant. My biggest takeaway from this book sadly, is that most bulbs are toxic, so don't eat them. Lol ok, I wasn't planning on it.
Lesli
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great reference. This works sort of like a dictionary. There are entries for various plants with short blurbs about what or what not to plant together. Riotte also covers a variety of topics like pests and planning. Definitely worth the read and the space on your shelf if you are hoping to make the most of your flower garden.
Slee
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Looking for a lot of information about plants and whom they'd like to be planted with? This is the book you're looking for.
Let's face it, some plants just need to not be planted by others, and it's always good to know who they are.
Erika
I need to look at this one earlier next year. I also need to save some more money to do anything I want to do from this book. Lots of good things coming, but this year I'm focusing more on the herbs and veggies.
Josiah
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book contains clear and helpful information on dozens of vegetables, herbs, and flowers in an easy-to-find index and chapter system. I highly recommend it!

Writing: B
I'd order two
Bob
Aug 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A good easy reading introduction to companion planting, I use it infrequently when planning my next seasons planting.
Christina
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
lots of great info
Data
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of interesting factoids, but I fail to follow the organization.
kyle
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good reference for gardeners!
Jen Healey
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a lot of work has gone into this book! An absolute treasure trove of practical knowledge and guidance from a woman who obviously knows her onions (and their benefits). Recommended.
Noelle
Jan 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
a few good pointers, but not as indepth as Riotte's first book "Tomatoes Love Carrots"...still good to have as a reference book.
Meg
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good reference tool. I'll be using this when I plan my garden
Bloomfield Eastern Greene County Public Library
Wolfryder
Jul 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Resource for Every Gardener
  • Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control: A Complete Problem-Solving Guide to Keeping Your Garden and Yard Healthy Without Chemicals
  • The Beginner's Guide to Preserving Food at Home: Easy Techniques for the Freshest Flavors in Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Relishes, Salsas, Sauces, and Frozen and Dried Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • The Garden Primer
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving, 2nd Edition
  • The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping: Home Landscaping with Food-Bearing Plants and Resource-Saving Techniques
  • Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades: The Complete Guide to Natural Gardening
  • The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting  Pruning Techniques
  • Sunflower Houses: Inspiration From the Garden--A Book for Children and Their Grown-Ups
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Down the Garden Path
Beloved Storey author and life-long gardener Louise Riotte passed away in 1998 at the age of 89. She wrote 12 books on gardening, companion planting, and garden lore, among them the ever-popular Carrots Love Tomatoes, which has sold approximately 515,000 copies. Her father taught her to believe in and practice astrology, while her mother was a practicing herbalist. Together they inevitably influen ...more