Start by marking “Reboot Your Life: Energize Your Career and Life by Taking a Break” as Want to Read:
Reboot Your Life: Energize Your Career and Life by Taking a Break

Reboot Your Life: Energize Your Career and Life by Taking a Break

More Americans are choosing to take time off from work to relax or re-examine their priorities, so they can return to work energized. Some companies offer formal sabbatical programs, but how can the average person take time off to evaluate their direction, explore their passions, and make time for the things that are really important?Whether you're disillusioned with your ...more
Published April 2nd 2011 by Beaufort Books

Start your review of Reboot Your Life: Energize Your Career and Life by Taking a Break
Vicky
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really useful, systemic way of approaching a life transition and taking a break from working. Great tools and questions to help you explore, as well as help set new goals. Wish I had a full year but it made sure I didn't waste my four month-break.
Michael
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reboot Your Life is a great book on how think about sabbaticals. The authors deal will all aspects very thoroughly, from goal setting to implementing, from thinking about what to do during your time off to how many months you will need to accomplish your sabbatical goals, from dealing with naysayers to managing reentry into the labor force. Moreover, the book addresses the many misconceptions you might have about sabbaticals. I especially liked the extensive appendix that gives readers a great ...more
Heather Sinclair
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about why and how to take a sabbatical, and not just from work but from your crazy, busy, full-of-responsibility-life. I'm kind of already *on* a sabbatical so maybe my perspective isn't the greatest, but I enjoyed this book nonetheless.
Rather that just vague wishy-washy "find yourself" stuff, this is more like an instruction book (hello! there are exercises at the end of each chapter!), and it's just the kind of practical book a busy professional can digest quickly and easily.
The
Joann Hangad
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very helpful! Though I've found this book later on my career break it still give me more tips and advice on how I could take advantage of my career break. The exercises is very illuminating on my journey as well! 😊
Pía López Copetti
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: career
Easy read, something to boost your inspiration on taking a new path. The exercises are quite good, although I'd prefer some insight on how to take a "workplace sabbatical" without actually leaving your current job.
Monique
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for thinking about how taking a career break.
Rosa
Are you due for a break, a meaningful, and restful one? If so, the best time is this time, and you can reboot your life all in one fell swoop.

[Note: This review is written for the context of Talking Story , my blog companion to Managing with Aloha .]

Sabbaticals have broken free of the academic world, and theyre good for everyone, helping us keep better perspective of whether we live to work, or work to live. If you need a bit more convincing, the authors of this book have done a great job at
Tom Plaskon
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book about taking longer periods of time away from work for the purpose of recharging and/or changing your career path. It has a lot of practical advice around communication with your spouse, family and employer, as well as, how to become financial prepared to take a sabbatical. For me, the most interesting part of the book were chapters 5-7 which discuss the common stages that people go through when on sabbatical. These chapters I found fascinating. The strength of this ...more
Leigh Boyer
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Whether you have decided voluntarily to leave the job market or your company has decided for you, this book provides direction for people not used to being "unemployed." It takes a positive approach to this time period and even encourages periodic "sabbaticals" in order to revitalize and reinvigorate your spirit. This book came to me at exactly the time that I needed it the most.
Dan S
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Reboot is comprised of brief anecdotes with lots of useful advice and resources sprinkled in. The authors provide helpful, positive guidance on ways to reflect about uses and purposes of gap experiences.
Kate
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, filled with good common sense advice and perspective. Very helpful in reframing my year and a half off as a "radical sabbatical" instead of just being unemployed.
Maria
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's only a 4 because I think it gives valuable advice. There is a lot of fluff otherwise.
Darcy
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas both for taking a sabbatical (aka "reboot break") and for making working days/months/years more enjoyable and sustainable.
Shannon
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Always good to reset your thinking a bit.
Heidi
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: npo-management
Outlines sabbatical steps for the neophyte
So Yeon
Nov 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Pause: Harnessing the Life-Changing Power of Giving Yourself a Break
  • Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
  • The Big Trip: Your Ultimate Guide to Gap Years and Overseas Adventures (Lonely Planet. the Big Trip)
  • Together is Better: A Little Book of Inspiration
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • The Tao of Pooh
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • That's Not How We Do It Here!: A Story about How Organizations Rise and Fall--and Can Rise Again
  • Idiot Brain: What Your Head Is Really Up To
  • Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart
  • Radical Sabbatical
  • Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less
  • Primates of Park Avenue
Catherine Allen is an innovator and expert in financial services and technology and has held assistant professorships at several universities. Today, she owns and manages The Santa Fe Group. She lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.