Start by marking “Echo Kill (Frank Quinn, 5)” as Want to Read:
Echo Kill (Frank Quinn, 5)

Echo Kill (Frank Quinn #5)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  668 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
He mutilates his victims. Slices their throats. And carves an X into their flesh. Five years ago, he claimed the lives of six women. Then the killings abruptly stopped - no one knows why. Ex-homicide detective Frank Quinn remembers. Which is why he's shocked to see one of the dead women in his office. Actually, she's the identical twin of the last victim, and she wants Qui ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published September 28th 2010 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Echo Kill, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Barbara ★
I really liked this book until the end which was lame as hell and very disappointing. The plot just fizzled out and I wanted to scream. And if this is supposed to be the Frank Quinn series, why the hell is he in the background? The other characters take the lead and he kinda just directs the show. Quinn's supposed to be this super detective but there was zero evidence of it in this novel. He made cute little lists that didn't tell him a damn thing.
Lori
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, review
Frank Quinn and his partners are back in the newly formed Quinn & Associates Investigations. Pearl Kasner was done working as a security guard at a bank and Larry Fedderman (Feds) wasn’t all that interested in catching fish in Florida anymore. So the three of them have settled back into the life they know and love – detecting. Chrissie Keller, having come into a large sum of money, comes to see Frank to hire him. Five years ago her twin sister Tiffany, along with four other young ladies, was ...more
Eric_W
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quinn has more or less retired from the police department and is now running his own detective agency. He is approached by Chrissie who claims to have won a considerable sum of money and wants to hire his agency to find the killer, know as the “Carver,” of her twin sister, Tiffany. Quinn is then hired by the police department as consultants on the case which has been reopened after the discovery of another murdered women whose M.O. resembles that of the Carver. (I won’t describe exactly what the ...more
Ed
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old fan of the author's books
Recommended to Ed by: police procedural fans esp. of NYC setting
John Lutz writes about serial killers, but he uses fresh approaches and twisty plots that often surprise me. His prose style is a well-blended and seamless one. Somehow he captures the right mannerism or description that befits the scene or character. I also usually shy away from NYC settings, but he paints his with different strokes. The romantic and professional interplay between Pearl and Frank Quinn, the protagonist, is a strength of the narrative. Great stuff.
NancyG
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like dark, scary thrillers with retired homicide cops chasing psychotic, sadistic killers, this is right up your alley. I know it was right up my alley. I've somehow missed a couple of Lutz's books so I'm off to the library to get my hands on the ones I've missed. These books are not for everyone but if you like the genre, Lutz is tops.
Debbie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
i have read 2 in this series - not that impressed. The main character, Frank Quinn, a former cop/detective and his team of former cops -now private investigators. Quinn is supposed to be a super cop but in the two I read he is in the background and just there - I didn't get his importance and the rest of his team..especially the woman - boring and trite.
Larry
I usually enjoy John Lutz's books, but this one was ... tedious, somehow. I couldn't care about the characters, felt no suspense. It just missed the mark for me.
Carolyn
I get the feeling Lutz has some issues with women.
Brett Wallach
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THE WORST. Every character a caricature. And in NYC in the 21st century, every character is white??? And if you get to the ending of this steaming pile of shit, you have to ask yourself how fucking stupid all these brilliant detectives were for over 400 pages. Or how fucking stupid Lutz is to have written this crap. Seriously.
Mcrib
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the book - lots of characters but they are portrayed well, interact in interesting ways, and the pace isn't dull. There is a lot of mystery in how this is all going to tie together. •Spoiler*. One thing I didn't like while reading the book was that the main characters in charge of the case weren't particularly doing anything brilliant or heroic to advance the case - they were just reacting to events around them. Somehow they get caught up in the middle of things but the antagon ...more
Wynn
All thriller fans...A must read!, November 4, 2010

This is the 5th and the best thriller featuring ex NYPD police captain Frank Quinn, his now former lover Pearl and his former police partner, Larry Fedderman. Once again all three are on a task force to find a serial killer known as "the carver". This book is so well written I could not stop listening. (Another excellent narration from Scott Brick) Lutz fills the book with twists, turns and dramatic suspense on every page without any confusion.
Yas
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3/5 for me.

Pros:

- Love the pace, the juggling between the crime-related chapters and the personal lives of Frank Quinn associates. It was smooth and just about the right amount of time spent.

- The characters aren't half-bad.

- I was content with the ending. at first, I wasn't but then when I thought about it harder i was more or less satisfied with it.

- Lots of welcome mis-directions in the story.

Cons:

- Frank quin and co didn't participate into actually solving the case.
they were simply used to
Sally
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After an absence of five years, the mysterious serial killer known as the Carver has resurfaced. PI Frank Quinn is hired by the twin sister of the last Carver victim to bring her sister's killer to justice and Quinn is eager to nab this killer that mutilates his victims, carving an x on their body and cutting their throats.

Quinn is also nursing wounds from he and his co-worker, Pearl's breakup, and those wounds deepen when Pearl becomes involved with another man who seems to have a bit of a rep
laura m
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: john lutz fans
I am totally unsure whether to rate as 3 or 4 as I didn't totally grasp the ending. I have been trying to find other's opinions on it but there aren't any spoilers to be found.
otherwise, until last 5-10 pages it was a great read. I again have a feeling it ended too soon and so many information and facts squeezed in those last pages, I wasn't sure if I was even reading correctly.
I will have to re-read these last pages but I am unsure whether it will help, I hope I'll stumble upon a discussion reg
Katy
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
John Lutz does not write cozies. He writes rather too well of psychopathic serial killers.

What puts his books above mere sensation his his strong, smart regular characters. I have read the books totally out of order and still have become involved in the relationships and foibles of the main characters; Quinn, Pearl, Feds and the other regulars.

This book is more convoluted than most of his and a bit less satisfying for that. I does keep you guessing to the end with it's twists and turns.

Those w
Bill Shuey
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is another in the series of Quinn books that has him attempting to catch a serial killer. The usual characters make their appearance in this book: Pearl, Fedderman and a new female criminal psychologist.

This book has several look-backs and the normal number of expected twists to the plot. Without giving to much away, this story has an not so necessarily unexpected ending, (depending on much the reader pays attention to the details) but a unique ending which leaves the possibility of a squea
Jill Manske
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how much I like John Lutz and his writing. Mr. X is a complex tale of gruesome serial murders, child abuse/sexual abuse, and very dysfunctional families. You're never quite sure where Lutz is going to take you next and how Quinn is going to put all the clues together. The book is full of political intrigue and how it interfaces with and sometimes interferes with police work and solving crimes. The ending was a real shocker. If you like fast-paced thrillers, you'll like this book.
Sheri S.
This mystery/thriller was good, but wasn't a fantastic read for me. I liked the characters and the premise of the story, but I felt the plot was strung out too long; it could've been shorter in length! Some of the book was predictable, some of it was a surprise and I really didn't care for the twist in the end! Overall, not a terrible book, but I actually enjoyed it the most because of the fact that it was my first e-book (I am completely in love with my new Sony e-reader!!)!
Kay
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Frank Quinn and his team reappear in this latest thriller from Lutz. Since he has another Quinn book coming out this year, I have to assume he's decided to stick with one character than those assorted retired policemen that all had the same characteristics but different names in his earlier books. His plots were always good but I did tire of the similar main character.

This book has lots of action and some twists and turns that keeps you guessing along the way.
Brian McCusker
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. not too much gore and quite a twist to this tale. Lots of background builds to an interesting conclusion.
serial killer, kills a number of women, goes into hiding, then 5 years later starts again. Ex-cop and his team of Private detectives investigate and assist police and find the suspect, or do they?

Not brilliant, but better than others
Vince Panone
I enjoyed the book most of the way through. The twists and turns were exciting, and kept me reading. The resolution of the story, however, left me disappointed. I like complex stories, and twists, this one just left me cold. I don't feel the twists were explained in a believable way, and that the sharp detectives would miss what was under their nose the whole time.
Sae-chan
I enjoyed reading the book, and I think it was presented quite interestingly. One thing didn't sit well with me, though. The writer didn't offer any psychological analysis, when the story was clearly something to do with it. If a writer decided to write a murder story like this, I think it is not supposed to be a whodunit kind of story. Too bad.

Bill
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Lutz continues his brilliant Frank Quinn series with a thriller that has the reader guessing why the Carver, after five years of inactivity, has started killing again and whether Quinn's partner, Pearl, will become his latest victim. I had a difficult time finding a place to stop as the action just keeps flowing from chapter to chapter. Mister X is a satisfying read.
Alex Arth
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer has been quiet for 5 years. The twin sister of one of the victims hires a detective agency to find her sister's killer. The murders suddenly begin again. As the detectives work on the case, there are numerous plot twists and a smattering of humor that keep the reader involved. It was a very enjoyable book.
Jenn
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seem to be reading quite a few cliffhangers lately. However, Lutz has written a winner once again! His characters are so well loved in this series. I can't wait for his next one, and it should be out some time this year.
Mario
Mar 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if it is the writing or the reader (audiobook) that turned me off, but I found this book to be uninteresting. The dialog was awkward and while there were high points, over all i was pretty bored.
Jean Christofferson
The storyline is imaginative and the characters are interesting, but there are too much going on and the plot gets difficult to follow near the end. Could have been better if a few of the characters were eliminated. Why did we need the storyline about Pearl getting engaged to Yancy? We didn't.
Clare
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up by chance in my library. It was a really good story but the characters did start to grate on but I managed to carry on reading as the story was worth it. I have managed to get hold of the 2nd book in the story.
dawn
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read another John Lutz book and I liked it better but he is definitley an author that I know I will enjoy his books but I always seem to forget about him. As usual, this was dark but I love the dymanic between the 3 leads. The plot was entertaining so I would always rec a Lutz book.
Simon
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
After reading Pulse book 7 in the series I gave it a 2 star rating and vowed not to read another, well I did but I feel only marginally better at 3 star, just felt disjointed between the crimes and the characters in the story. I am determined to not read another... mmmm
unsure what exactly happened at the end? 1 5 Sep 10, 2014 09:52AM
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • Bone Thief
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • The Good Rat
  • Little Girl Lost (John Blank #1)
  • Tough Luck
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Graphic Revolve)
  • The Long Glasgow Kiss (Lennox, #2)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • The Last Victim
  • Crazy
  • The Whispers (The Whispers, #1)
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • The Rules of Silence

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Frank Quinn (10 books)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2)
  • Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Serial (Frank Quinn, #6)
  • Pulse (Frank Quinn, #7)
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
  • Frenzy (Frank Quinn, #9)
  • Slaughter (Frank Quinn, #10)