Start by marking “The Medusa Amulet” as Want to Read:
The Medusa Amulet

The Medusa Amulet

In this new spine-tingling thriller by Robert Masello, the critically acclaimed and bestselling author of Blood and Ice, a brilliant but skeptical young scholar named David Franco embarks on a quest to recover a legendary artifact: a beautifully carved amulet that was created by Benvenuto Cellini, the master artisan of Renaissance Italy.

What begins as a simple investigati
Published April 26th 2011 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Medusa Amulet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Medusa Amulet

✨Susan✨
I was not sure I was going to make it through this one, but by about the 7th chapter it really hit its stride and then it was off to the races. It slips back and forth between the past and present. A very prominent jeweler who made jewelry for kings and queens created a very special amulet for himself that he used in his secret connections to the occult. It could supposedly give everlasting life if used correctly. When a present day archeologists is approached by a beautiful woman who will pay h ...more
May 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
First, I won this as a First-Reads giveaway and appreciated the opportunity to get an early look! Reading makes up about 90% of my job, but every script or novel I pick up is still exciting; books that arrive in the mail at random are an extra delight.

There is a tremendous idea in this book, and the core of the story itself is clever and interesting. Truly, an excellent beginning.

That said, the writing leaves something to be desired. So much of the book is dependent the reader investing in the m
Carol
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I found it overall to be interesting reading...history, adventure, mysticism...even a little romance... but sometimes it was a real challenge as it went on and on. If it hadn't been that I was reading it as a group read I honestly may have skipped parts of it. It will be essential that the reader be able to suspend their disbelief as well as historical reality.
Chad
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Literally Hitler.
Books
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2017
It took me a few chapters to get into the story, but by Chapter 7 I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. I was fully immersed in this adventure.

Robert Masello did his research quite well and while reading this book, I couldn’t help but feel as if I’m reading a Dan Brown novel. It had all the elements and intrigue of a Dan Brown novel. My favorite was the chapters on the characters in the past. I was particularly impressed by his rendering of Marie Antoinette’s execution.

There are a few good twis
Sara
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I won this first-reads copy so a big thanks to Goodreads for that!

I took a while to read this book because there was so much information to absorb and I didn't want to miss out on anything, hence my review being so late.

To start, I will say that I loved the history in this book. The historical references to Rome and Florance simply fascinated me as does anything pertaining to Italy. The fact that there was a medieval, renaissance undercurrent kept me reading! I also liked the settings in France
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I Love Kirkus Reviews. They're generally the bad guy of the review world so if they like something, odds are it'll be good. They loved this and I only thought it was okay.

A librarian at the prestigious Newberry Library in Chicago is asked by a wealthy patron to locate an item created by an idol of his, Benvenuto Cellini, an Italian Renaissance artist and sculpter. In return, she will pay his expenses to Italy and assist him in prolonging his sick (with cancer) sister's life.

Here begins his whi
David
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good. Really liked the twists. Can't wait for the movie.
T.W. Fendley
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining adventure story blending alternative history, art and a bit of romance ... gets off to an unsettling start.
Ashley Brown
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Colosseum, the fountain, the wine, the food, the drink, the passion...there's something about Italy and Rome that you can't help but love. It was actually by coincidence that I had this book in my 'to-read' list as I went for a weekend break to Rome, but it added so, so much to the reading experience as some of the book is based around the area.

This piece of work stands up there as an example of how to write an engaging, well-researched and yet easy to read novel. I'm use to reading slightly
LindaJ^
The Medusa Amulet was created by Benvenuto Cellini, a Florentine artist of some renown in the 1500's. In this book, David Franco, a young curator at a Chicago Museum, is engaged by a rich donor to find it. The amulet has the ability, under the right conditions, to make a person immortal. The donor promises David $1,000,000 and that his cancer-striken sister will live a long life if he finds and secures the amulet for him.

The book bounces between the current day and the past. In the past, Cellin
Mike Shoop
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Twisty adventure thriller concerning a carved amulet of Medusa on a silver mirror that contains a powerful magic. Two storylines, one following the creator-artist Cellini and his lover Caterina through centuries, and a contemporary story featuring a librarian and a tour guide on the quest to find the artifact, move at a fast pace with suspense that never lets up. Everyone, it seems, wants the mirror, which through time falls into the hands of such disparate characters as Catherine de Medici, Mar ...more
Sean Klingler
From the title and description, I did not pick up on the fantasy/sci-fi aspect to this book. At first, I would have thought it was going to be a Robert Langdon look-alike. It's not. It is interesting though, and I did look up a few things that came up as I went along. For instance, I did not really know who Marie Tussaud was.

The narrator was good and I could hear him at all times. He was another good choice for this story.

If you were looking strictly for historical fiction, don't go here. If you
Joy
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC MYSTERY OF MISSING HISTORICAL ARTIFACT

I’m new to Robert Masello; however, if the “Medusa Amulet” is typical of his writing, then I’m going to read everything that he publishes. It’s the “DaVinci Code” without the religious overtones. His writing is engaging, with an intellectual flare. The story has enough adventure and excitement to keep it fun, without all of the overwhelming testosterone boredom of so many serial “heroes” featured these days.
eric veltri
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent Novel

The pace of the story telling and development of the characters made me feel as if all was believable. I usually prefer science fiction to fantasy however if the storyline is smooth and believable, characters are well developed and likeable, and the author does his homework and teaches me things I never would have researched on my own, as Masello has done here than I'm a happy camper.
Robin Donahey
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Left me wanting more..

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The characters were well developed and the storyline intriguing! The writing was excellent and although I found myself using my dictionary frequently, it was refreshing to read such an exciting e-book from an obviously intelligent writer.
I am definitely going to read more of his books!
And, I would like to see more of Olivia and David,their characters would make a great series of historical adventure novels.
Nick Duretta
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This 'Da Vinci Code' clone is completely preposterous (how many books include Marie Antoinette and Adolf Hitler as principal characters?) but, if you buy into its ludicrous premise, it chugs right along, delivering the expected amount of action. Of course, apart from the historical figures, the main players--art historian David Franco and his lover/assistant Olivia--are as one-dimensional as they come, but this thriller is too steeped in history to be considered mindless.
Eadie
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, audio-2018
This book was an excellent mixture of history, suspense and the supernatural with a small bit of romance thrown in. The characters were all well-drawn and fascinating. The exciting plot made the book hard to put down. I will be looking forward to reading more books by Masello and would recommend this book to those who love mystery/suspense with history and adventure.
Kylie Barton
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took a while for me to get into this book but once I did it was thoroughly enjoyable. It was hard to get used to the time periods changing every chapter but once I got into the swing it added to the fun. The story has everything from mystery and conspiracy, to witchcraft and history. Thoroughly enjoyable read, if, a bit verbose in parts!
Timothy J Summers
Great storytelling!

For me 5 stars is an easy rating. I throughly enjoy the Mr. Masello tells his stories. I like the way historical figures are used as characters. I will and have recommended this book and others by Mr. Masello to friends and family. Thank you for the riveting stories.
Michele
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love authors who take the present and mix it with the past. In this story you have a magical work of art created by the artist Cellini that not only travels through many hands, but many pieces of history. I thought it was well written, and not something I could speed read through for fear of missing something. In the end good always trumps evil.
Grahamgill
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was excited to red this book after having enjoyed Masello`s Romanov Cross. While the Medusa was a very interesting and well created story mixing history and present I found it moved slower than the earlier work. There are many interesting twists and historic hypotheses guaranteed to make you stop and ponder. A very good to pick up if you enjoy historical fiction and I several more of his works on my list to reads. ...more
Heather
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A totally fun read reminiscent of the Dan Brown style. Loved the fantasy elements mixed with history throughout different periods. Some of the historical periods explored were some of my favourites, which made it even more enjoyable. Honestly didn't know what to expect going in and was very pleasantly surprised.
Michael Landfair
Firenze and the Medusa Amulet

I have always loved the story of the Medusa. Masello mixes that story with immortal life In the form of an amulet made by the master Benevenuta Carrillo in the 1500s. It was old home week visiting Firenze again and re visiting the statue of Perseus. Great story. We get to know David Franco and Olivia, and I’m sure we will meet them again.
ragulau5
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an icy winter’s day in southwest Michigan, Grace Abbot wakes up as the survivor of a car crash. But she’s left with a traumatic brain injury and a terrifying reality: she can’t remember anything.

Left in the care of her sister, Grace returns to the family’s secluded old farmhouse to recover—but within an hour of her return, the police arrive. Grace’s boyfriend has been m
Jonathan Yeh
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just mesmerizing

Glad I found this Robert Masello history fiction. Now I would have more supplies of interesting readings. Medieval time had been my new love in history. Reading a novel makes getting deeper knowledge more really.
Susan Campbell
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eery

While not the most well-written book this still tells a fascinating story of the search for eternal. Mixed with the legend of the Medusa, the story is fast-paced as David discovers that living forever has serious consequences.
Jaime
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
For folks who like Dan Brown, this book is like that but with good writing. Adds in points of view from characters back in history. Very enjoyable. A few twists that one could see coming, but from around the bend, not a mile away.
Msjodi777
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2018
An interesting book... a bit hard to follow with all the moving around in time, but still very well done when you get used to it. Made all the more enjoyable with the narration of David Collacci. <><
john grissom
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a story!

I have read all of Mr. Masello's books, but this is the best one in my opinion. Gripping, exciting, un-put-downable!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Babylonian Codex (Jax Alexander Mystery #3)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Marks of Cain
  • The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • Midnight Angels
  • The Devil Will Come
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
  • The Mask of Atreus
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • The Mask of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton, #3)
  • The Illumination
  • Brother Astronomer: Adventures of a Vatican Scientist
  • The Genesis Key
  • Equinox
  • The Moses Legacy
Robert Masello is an award-winning journalist, TV writer, and the bestselling author of many novels and nonfiction books. His most recent thriller, entitled THE EINSTEIN PROPHECY (47 North), hit the # 1 spot in the Amazon Kindle store. Previous books include BLOOD AND ICE, THE MEDUSA AMULET, and THE ROMANOV CROSS, all published by Bantam/Random House.
He is also the author of two popular studies
“If these self-anointed leaders did not keep the people aroused with calls to preserve the Revolution, or to defend it from one imaginary foe after another, then the people might shake themselves awake from the trance they were in and begin to question the very men who had drenched their streets in blood and make France pariah among the civilized nations of the world.” 1 likes