Start by marking “Tiger Can't Sleep” as Want to Read:
Tiger Can't Sleep

Tiger Can't Sleep

In this delightful bedtime story, a little boy tries to go to sleep but is kept awake by the adorable, noisemaking tiger in his closet. After much pleading, the little boy soon discovers how to deal with a noisy tiger. Full color.
Published January 19th 2006 by Viking Juvenile (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tiger Can't Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiger Can't Sleep

Katelyn
I love these books. A boy who is trying to go to sleep scolds his tiger for being so noisy. Kids will identify with the tiger, trying unsuccessfully to settle down, while parents will recognize themselves in the little boy's pleas. My 3 year old and I highly enjoy this book.
Nicole Harding
This is a great take on the bedtime fear of something in the closet. There is a friendly tiger in the closet who keeps making noise preventing the child from falling asleep. Finally the child takes away the potato chips, the band instruments, the tap shoes, etc. The tiger then starts boo hoo-ing. Why? Because he is scared of the dark and lonely and asks to sleep with the child. The child agrees, but you know what happens next? The tiger starts snoring. OF COURSE! Lots of fun.
So fun! A little boy can't fall asleep because the tiger in his closet is making too much noise. Eventually, the two of them come to a solution but there are plenty of laughs along the way. Every little kid who has ever had trouble falling asleep will relate to this book - a great group read aloud!
Christine Marie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun to read! I'm a teacher and the children ask for it a lot! It is great for teaching onomatopoeia. My first graders know what it means just because of this book. A fun story, great way to use different voices...Just an overall good book!!
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute take on the monster in my closet theme; this boy has a noisy tiger in his closet. Sweet story, I like the illustrations, I think this would be a fun book for story time, except that it's a bit long. Would work well for slightly older kids (5+ maybe?).
Susan
Absolutely darling book about a tiger in a boy's closet who keeps the boy awake. Really fun ending, cute pics and lends itself well to sound effects, esp. using a mike. Kids can participate as the tiger by saying, "Oops! Tiger is sorry. Tiger will be quiet."
Lauren
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story was ok & fairly predictable. The art was only ok. So frustrating since I was looking forward to the book. :(
Kristi
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites! My son loved this book as a toddler!
Brady
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute book about a little boy who can't sleep, because a silly tiger is making so much noise in his closet.
Joy Keil
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: clara
Trying to avoid reading books that might make my little one develop a fear of something...so this one wasn't for us.
Jillian Anderson
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This one always makes my students laugh! Perfect to pair with a nonfiction text about Tigers!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little boy is trying to fall asleep, but a noisy tiger keeps making all sorts of different noises inside his closet. This would be fun to use in a storytime about sounds, or bedtime.
Leslie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This will be fun to share at Pajama Storytime. A very lively tiger lives in a boy's closet and all his fun antics keep the boy awake!
Cosette
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good right before bed. I particularly enjoyed the one minute of silence. And the next. And the next.
Kristina
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary:
A young boy tries to fall asleep while contending with an overactive tiger fooling around in the closet.

Evaluation:
Great use of onomatopoeia throughout the book (bang, crunch, ker-thump).

Teacher Recommendation:
Mentor text about onomatopoeia. Just for fun read aloud.
Ashley Fischer
This illustrator seemed to use ink pen with water colors to fill in for color. The illustrator also used lines to direct your attention through the picture in a particular way. Horizontal lines moved the reader’s eyes sideways through the picture and the vertical lines helped moved the reader’s eyes up and down on the page. Another thing the illustrator used to portray a specific idea was value in the pictures. When the bedroom light was off the picture was darker and when the light was on the p ...more
Queen
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Just read this tonight to my girls. A picture book has to really get me to giggle for me to take note. Although there are many I meant to take note of, but my brain has too many holes these days.

Loved this concept. Little boy trying his darnedest to go to sleep - but the tiger in his closet is too busy eating chips, doing cartwheels, playing instruments...basically driving the kid nuts.

Love the perspective and loved the adorable dialogue.
Melanie
A little boy is ready for bed but can't sleep because there's a tiger in his closet eating chips! Then the tiger is bouncing a ball, doing cartwheels and playing band instruments. Finally the little boy has had enough and demands that the tiger stop making noise. But the tiger then tells him that he's afraid of the dark closet. So the boy invites him to bed with him and the ecstatic tiger leaps through the air.
Kristy Schwertfeger
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is about a little boy who is trying to go to sleep one night, when he realizes there is a tiger in his closet. This tiger is making an awful amount of noise. The tiger is not scary or mean, just noisy! The boy spends a lot of time trying to get the tiger to be quiet. But soon the little boy realizes why tiger is so noisy, he cant sleep because he is afraid. This is a very cute book and students will also find it funny.
Erin Buhr
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if it's the silly tiger or the exasperated kid or the fun onomatopoeia or the laugh out loud ending, but my kids love this book. A little boy is trying to get to sleep but there is a tiger in his closet making all kinds of noise. He tries to calm the tiger down and remove the distractions, but in the end the only person that successfully falls asleep is the tiger. A silly bedtime story that my twins request again and again.
Marilea Blair
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-4050-12
I really enjoyed this story. It was about a young boy that couldn't sleep because there was a tiger in his closet. The tiger can't sleep because he was afraid of the dark. What luck? Having a tiger in your closet and he's afraid of the dark? I think this story is funny and it is one that children would like to read on their own.
Brianna
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a good book! Not one of my favorites but its about a Tiger that can't sleep because he's scared of the dark. I like how the author wrote this book because it's usually the child who is afraid of the dark,but they are showing a big tiger thats supposed to be scary himself, but instead of the child being afraid the tiger is afraid.
Jolynne
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When I first read this I thought the author must have a son who does everything my son does to avoid bedtime-IDENTICAL. And the clever part is that it is the tiger doing the naughty "NO BEDTIME" routine so the little boy is having to feel exactly what us parents feel when we JUST want to get some sleep!
Meg McGregor
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I must have read a different book than the one reviewed here. I have read review after review raving about the book.

Well, it certainly isn't my cup of tea,as they say.

I loved the tiger but I felt the boy was mean and spiteful.

I did not like the way the Boy kept yelling at the Tiger and putting him down.

Just my opinion.
Tricia
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a great readaloud for older preschool or early elementary...while a little boy is doing his best to fall alseep the tiger in his closet is up to no good, making ruckus. Children will giggle and guffaw at the tiger's antics.
T Crockett
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is great for all the reasons that Fore's other Tiger book is great. Sound effects, a nice range of emotion, and a really funny tiger. I got this out of the library for the 3 & 5 year old but it disappeared into the 9 year old's room for a week. It's a crowd pleaser.
Naomi
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I agree with another reviewer that I must have read a totally different book. I didn't think that it stood out as much as others. Tiger does all sorts of noisy things to keep boy awake. It just didn't catch my attention.
Chenoa Brown
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: experiences, fiction
If the tiger can't sleep, no one else can sleep! The little boy in the story repeatedly asks the tiger to quiet down. The boy finds out that the tiger is afraid of the dark. Book is a great read for students who can relate.
Good read for Pre-K
Katie Pszczola
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is great for teaching onomonopias! Words that are sound words! Bounce, bam, ker-thump! This cute book would help students better understand onomonopias because there are so many in the book! Would be very fun book for a read aloud in a kindergarten class.
Rebecca
A boy has a hard time sleeping with the noisy tiger in the closet. He tries to help the tiger go to sleep but there is only one way. It is worth a peaceful nights sleep. I recommend this book for kindergarten to 2nd grades.
« previous 1 3 next »