Start by marking “This Day in the Life: Diaries from Women Across America” as Want to Read:
This Day in the Life: Diaries from Women Across America

This Day in the Life: Diaries from Women Across America

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  203 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Did You Ever Want to Read a Friend’s Diary?

In suburban neighborhoods and on family farms, in uptown lofts and homeless shelters, women across America chronicled their lives on the same day—June 29, 2004. This Day in the Life shares more than thirty complete diaries and hundreds of additional candid moments.

Full of intimate details and laugh-out-loud truths, and drawing on
Published December 27th 2005 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about This Day in the Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Day in the Life

Stephanie A.
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Essentially a compilation of short blogs in book form, but many of them from people who would probably never blog. Got tedious at times (especially the third-person bios and military-personnel-in-Iraq diaries), and there were some women I could not stand, but a great concept and probably best read in short bursts. I'm always wondering what other people are doing at the same time as me, and this satisfied my curiosity dozens of times over. In fact, I think I'm going to do this myself, for fun, on ...more
Katherine
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: women
Good! Hundreds of women participated in a project to write down what happened to them on the same day around the world: June 29, 2004. From a nonagenarian nun to a carefree California hippie girl to a worn-out mom of toddlers to an Army officer stationed in Iraq, these stories capture funny, sad, depressing, hopeful, wry, REAL experiences. A great read if you're feeling nosy or isolated or just need something to dip into since the sections are quite short.
Marisa Thalberg
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So proud to have been a part of this groundbreaking compilation of diaries maintained by a cross-section of American women, all on the same day. The threads that connect us are as interesting as all of our varied differences. Intimidate, detailed and real.
Dawn Meyers
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
INteresting book consisting of a diary of 24 hours in their daily life, kept by a widely varied number of women. I love insights into lives so very different from my own
Liza
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
this was really good. it is a collection of day diaries from women all over America, even some American women in other countries. It's a look in to the lives of housewives, lawyers, police officers, firefighters, strippers, women in ever kind of profession, lifestyle or situation all on the same day. It was really interesting how many mentioned the red sox games (the day in the book was June 29, 2004), America giving Iraq back in the hands of Iraq and other important events at that time. I think ...more
Courtney
I love the idea of having women write/blog about their typical day. I found the second volume of this project, The Water Cooler Diaries much more enjoyable than this volume. There isn't much variety in the jobs in this book, which was published a couple of years after 9/11. Because of that, there's a focus on women fighting the war in Iraq. Of course I believe it's an important job and it's great that they had a way to share what their days were like, but I would have preferred a more diverse se ...more
Janice
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I'm sure this diverse group of contributors are bright, creative, talented women, and I applaud them for putting their names and occupations on their entries, however, I would have preferred the take away to be uplifting and celebratory, rather, I found many coming across as lack luster or whiney. The short quips were easier to take than the longer hourly diary entries. Perhaps this just was not my cup of tea.
Beth
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Am really enjoying this book. Found it in the travel section(?) of my library, but it's basically one-day diary entries of 30 or so women (chosen from many) and it just gives you a snippet of their life. Writers range from a 23-year-old recent college grad to a soldier in Iraq to a nun to a 65-year-old woman taking care of her disabled husband. It's amazing to see how these women are so different from each other (and myself) and yet how we are are all so alike with the same joys and worries.
Susan
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book. Looks at a cross section of the population--all women--who have kept a 1 day diary as a snapshot of their lives and feelings. Truly does represent all types of women from all types of backgrounds. They have a variety of jobs and their feelings on issues will resonate with almost everyone.

Would definately recommend this to my adult female readers.
Christine
Aug 26, 2007 rated it liked it
I read the first book by these same authors, with the same premise (women keeping a diary on the same day but each with their own spin, their own perspective) and loved it. I found this book to be a bit less fresh than the first one.
Ricki
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was different from any book I have read before. Each chapter was a day diary of a different American woman. What I liked better, though, were the shorter chapters that either included just a few hours from the day or one paragraph. Despite the format, it was slow reading.
Nancy Hansen
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I certainly give Joni Cole, B.K. Rakhra, and Rebecca Joffrey (Editors), credit for such a creative and interesting book. It is not a book to read cover to cover in one sitting. It is a book to pick up here and there. Maybe read it between other books?
Haley
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Grabbed this off of a women's display at the downtown library on a whim. It was interesting to see all the different perspectives on the one day, although I would have preferred it be a more significant day.
Melissa
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This fascinating book is all women's diary entries from the same day and year. It is a little peek into the live of some amazing women from all across the country. It makes me wish I was better and writing down the things that happen to me and they way I feel about those things...
Laurie
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book!! I loved the concept and enjoyed all the perspectives from women on that day. I can picture myself...eight months pregnant, no longer working, hanging out with 7 year old Eric at the pool. :^)
Raelene
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism
I loved loved loved this book. It was a book about women's lives, their struggles, their hopes, their dreams, and it was only one day. This book is about the everyday heroes. FEMALE heroes. I liked it. It did a decent job of getting women from all different backgrounds too.
Laurel
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a fun easy to read book. It was nice to read the everyday lives of other women and realize that I'm not as crazy as I think I am.
Turtlefrog
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
I thought the concept of the book was unique. Some of the diary entry's were very interesting while others lagged it. Over all this book was ok.
Jenn
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Unique concept. It was fun to read so many different perspectives on the same day.
Cindy
Jun 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Just read this book from the library. Interesting snap shot in the lives of women across the US.
Sara
May 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Too sappy. Many positive stories, but didn't seem realistic. It seemed all the women had great attitudes when we know that is probably not true!
Marie
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, women
Had no idea how much I was going to enjoy this book--a day in the life of 35 or more different women.
Rachel
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting at first with a nice variety of women but it eventually gets bogged down by the inclusion of so many and so much minutia.
Maria
Jul 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own
very interesting reading--peeking into diaries of American women all over the country, in all walks of life.
Michelle Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nice volume with short entries by women all over America and expats around the world.
Pragya
Dec 31, 2011 added it
Inspiring, funny, heart-breaking, happy... This book is a compendium of all the possible kinds of emotions a woman can feel...... Go read it & feel proud to be a woman :)
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Could have been better, but I was a contributor and some of my friends are quoted, which is fun!
Amy
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
493 American women kept a diary of their day on June 29, 2004, a regular Tuesday. Interesting to peek in the lives of so many. Neat concept.
Kameelah
Dec 10, 2007 marked it as to-read
I have not read this yet, but already I think it would be really cool to do a Muslimah version.
Kathleen
  • A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger Than Basketball
  • Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids
  • Breeding in Captivity: One Woman's Unusual Path to Motherhood
  • Telling Lies for Fun  Profit
Joni B. Cole is the author of the new release Good Naked: Reflections on How to Write More, Write Better, and Be Happier ("Joyful, tough-minded, and heartening, these pages offer encouragement to anyone from beginners to experienced writers. Good Naked is one of the best books for writers I’ve read in a very long time."—Cynthia Huntington, National Book Award Finalist, poetry). Joni's acclaimed fi ...more
More about Joni B. Cole