Start by marking “1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-To-Make Healthy Meals for Everyone” as Want to Read:

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This new edition of the vegetarian kitchen bible reflects current food trends and styles of cooking. Catering to the needs of today's busy cooks, from committed vegetarians to "flexitarians" to those simply looking for inventive ideas for peak-of-season produce, the recipes are easier and faster to prepare, with fewer ingredients and more concise cooking methods. The recip ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Not Avail (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes

Steven Peterson
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I'm not a vegetarian. Second, though, I understand the need for a good diet. And that means an awareness of vegetarian dishes. I have used a number of veggie dishes over time, so I was interested in this book. It is pretty satisfying!

The volume begins by saying (Page v): "Eating vegetarian is possibly one of America's fastest growing food trends." The book is intended not just for vegetarians, but for those who (Page v) ". . .are a 'sometimes vegetarian' who is interested in incorporatin
Susan
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, cooking
I bought this book when I first started eating a vegetarian diet. It is great for those starting out, more experienced in vegetarian cooking, or just dabbling.

There is a range of recipes to fit every palette and most are easy to prepare with readily obtainable ingredients.

I have a few favourites that I return to, but I also look up 'what can I do with this vegetable that needs eating in my fridge'? I also often open the book at random and make the dish that I find. Of dozens (maybe hundreds) o
Lisa
Aug 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I checked this book out from the library and I found a few recipes that were worth copying and keeping. I am not a vegetarian, but I cook meatless meals most days of the week. This book has quite a few recipes requiring meat substitutes.

The soup section is excellent. I've tried a few of the vegetable soups and the recipes were easy to follow and tasted wonderful. I can't wait to try the tomato and leek soup, the indian lentil, and the cabbage ragout.

I can definitely see these recipes being some
sdw
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks, mostly cause it has so many different recipes (different ingredients, different flavors, different variations). It is also the cookbook that I have had the longest. I bought it used at Powells books. I enjoy the one sentence descriptions of each recipe which range from "A Taste of New Orleans" to "Idaho or sweet potatoes, winter squash, or Brussels sprouts would be flavorful additions to this colorful vegetable side dish" Several of my staple reci ...more
Lauri
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vegetarians and people looking to cut back on their meat and/or fat consumption
This was my FAVORITE cookbook until 1000 Vegan Recipes and Vegan Planet came along. Every recipe I've tried in this book is ridiculously delicious...and I've tried a LOT of them. Many of the recipes are vegan and most of the rest of them are veganizeable. It's perfect for everyday cooking, lots & lots & lots of recipes, no photos. This book contains the most comprehensive listing of vegetarian soups that I've ever seen -- and that is really important for getting through the rainy season ...more
Terri
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
A handful of the 1001 recipes in this book are really simple and you almost wonder why the author bothered to print them. At the same time, the book offers tons of ideas--you never have to make the same thing twice if you don't want to. I think of this as an everyday cookbook. There are a number of recipes in the book that we've made many times, but I don't think there are too many that we'd make for company.
Rachel
I'm glad to have this book, but only rated it as "okay" because many of the recipes seem to require a bit too much for my tastes, such as unusual, numerous, or pre-prepared (like stock) ingredients, or an amount of time I generally don't have for preparing meals. This is not a good book for beginning vegetarians or for preparing quick, everyday meals, but it's a nice reference to have around with a fair bit of variety in the recipes.
Chris
Apr 03, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of those vegetarian cookbooks that is aimed at people who don't really want to be vegetarian; half the recipies seem apologetic or involve fake-meat. I'm all for fake-meat, but I like a veggie cookbook that's about veggies. I think I used this book once when we first got it six years ago.
Heather
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent excellent gateway book for vegetarians. My famous brown sugar banana bread recipe was stolen from this book. Great pizza ideas, I've been cooking out of this for about 10 years and my grandmother before that. Get it!
Jessica
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I "veganized" the curry bean soup the other night and was really pleased by the result. I'm giving the book 3 stars for now b/c I haven't tried any of the other recipes and most of them have dairy or eggs ... but I'd be open to suggestions for other recipes to try, if anyone has suggestions.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Quinoa Cookbook: Everyday Superfood Recipes for a Gluten-Free Diet
  • Baking Basics and Beyond: Learn These Simple Techniques and Bake Like a Pro
  • 132+ Delicious Salads, Dressings and Dips (Gabrielle's FUSS-FREE Healthy Veg Recipes)
  • 100 Easy Recipes in Jars
  • 5 Ingredients 15 Minutes Prep Time Slow Cooker Cookbook
  • Easy Vegetarian Recipes
  • Soup and Bread Cookbook: Building Community One Pot at a Time
  • Top 30 Easy Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Women: Set It and Forget It (First Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook for Busy Women Vol. 2)
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • This Can't Be Tofu!: 75 Recipes to Cook Something You Never Thought You Would--and Love Every Bite
  • 30 Perfect Popcorn Recipes : How to Make Sweet & Savory Gourmet Popcorn at Home (The Green Gourmet)
  • Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes
  • Quick-Fix Vegetarian: Healthy Home-Cooked Meals in 30 Minutes or Less (Quick-Fix Cooking)
  • Chili Recipes (Circle of Friends Cookbook Vol. 2)
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day
  • 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes
  • Country Baking Quick Breads and Muffins (Delicious Recipes)