Start by marking “Nadya” as Want to Read:

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Growing up on the edge of the Missouri wilderness in the 1830s, Nadya knew she was not like other girls. But when she became a woman and the Change came, she discovered just how different she was. For Nadya was a shapechanger, a werewolf like her mother and father before her...
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Playaway (first published January 11th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Nadya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nadya

KOMET
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this novel the reader sees Nadya living in a world of fear, loathing and intolerance for what is deemed unseemly and inexplicable, learning to live and thrive, both as a Woman and as a Wolf. In the process, she finds acceptance in a new life she is able to establish for herself out on the frontier.

The author provides vivid descriptions of the experiences Nadya faced in making the trek westward in the 1840s. You feel yourself being carried across an arid landscape on a rickety wagon and on th
Zaz
A long journey in the wild US west, with some moments spent as a wolf, others as a strong female heroine, but overall with flat characters.

The book showed in a detailed way the perilous conditions that the colons suffered during their conquest of America. The hate for the Native Americans and the wildness was also well presented with the various selfish and very annoying secondary characters who threatened more or less the main character or the wolves (however it was fine to kill the rest of the
Elizabeth
by Pat Murphy

Don’t actually remember reading this the first time but before recycling, reading again to review. My talk is that it is a sort of rambling tale with plenty of detail about life on the prairie. It would probably appeal to some but I obviously forgot it after the first reading.

Told in third person past tense by a omniscient narrator POV, Nadia is seen from the outside. The tone is cool and distant and her life is described. First growing up, becoming a crack shot, romance with
Kathryn
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RJ
This is a wonderful story! I haven't seen many reviews on this book, perhaps it is one of those unnoticed pearls you happen upon. This is not your run-of-the-mill werewolf yarn. I found it to be a very interesting, adventurous, and romantic tale mixed with history, fantasy and lore. Based on a shape-shifter girl who lost her parents when young, then traveled west across the America to California in the 1840's. You travel with her as she encounters hardships, danger, Indians, trappers, and a pair ...more
Kate
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I only discover Pat Murphy right before I left the US? I am continually impressed by her writing. Each book is very different from all the others. This one was no exception. A beautiful book about being different and belonging. Nadya herself is an amazing, flexible character, and I was continually fascinated with her life and inner struggle.
Amy
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always on the lookout for werewolf books. While this one was entertaining, there were a lot of issues in it that bugged me. I thought Nadya's personality kept changing throughout the book. Her relationship with Elizabeth was the most disappointing part. There was like.... no emotion.
kvon
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I like her other books, I just couldn't get into this one. It's going on the shelf.

Themes include tolerance: racial, religious, sexual, and lycanthropic. Set in the Wild West.
Levi Amichai
I went looking for non-disappointing werewolf novels because I couldn't remember many. I don't remember much about this---I should reread it.
Deirdre
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely entertaining - Werewolves, American History, Lesbians, what more could you want;-)
Machelle
This was a book that had such great potential and could have been expounded upon greatly. Some parts were long and drawn out and others left you wanting for more to fill in the characters.
Khaybee
  • Taming The Wolff
  • Reapers, Inc. - Brigit's Cross
  • Doll's Eyes
  • The Salbine Sisters
  • Lunatic Fringe (Tales of the Pack, #1)
  • Power Girl, Volume 4: Old Friends
  • Adijan and Her Genie
  • State by State with the State: An Uninformed, Poorly Researched Guide to the US
  • Rebel's Quest (Supreme Constellations, #2)
  • The Convent of the Pure (The Blood of Angels series, #1)
  • Secret Identities: The Asian American Superhero Anthology
  • Young Justice: Sins of Youth
  • The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts
  • Your & My Secret, Vol. 2
  • Digger, Volume Two
  • Howard Who?
  • West of the Moon (Troll, #1-3)