Start by marking “A Murder on the Appian Way (Roma Sub Rosa, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Murder on the Appian Way (Roma Sub Rosa, #5)

A Murder on the Appian Way (Roma Sub Rosa #5)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,944 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
In a Rome torn by riots and pulled apart by rival factions, Gordianus the Finder must uncover the truth about the murder of Publius Clodius, a populist politician whose assassination threatens to destroy the Republic. The fifth in the highly praised "Roma sub Rosa" series set in ancient Rome.
Published 1998 by Robinson (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Murder on the Appian Way, please sign up.
Mark Probably so, but you will miss a lot of information on Gordianus and how he acquired his family and servants. I recommend reading this from book 1 on.

Sara Jesus
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O melhor livro que li da saga de Gordiano, o Descobridor. Possui todo. Drama, suspense, mistério, romance e claro mortes.

Gostei principalmente de Eco (filho adoptivo de Gordiano ) acompanhá-lo na resolução do caso. Públio Clódio é assassinado na Via Ápia. Segundo os testemunhos foi uma emboscada de Milo. Milo confessa o contrário. Quem será o verdadeiro culpado ou culpada?

As intervenções de Cícero, César, Clódia, Bestusa, Diana e Pompeu enriqueceram o enredo. Também gosto muito de Meto, apesa
Jamie Collins
These books become even more fascinating as the time line approaches the period of Roman period of history I'm most familiar with. This is a fine mystery, without too much of Cicero's rhetoric to bog down the action, and I admit to experiencing a small thrill when Gordianus first encounters Mark Antony.

If you're annoyed when a novelist contrives for his protagonist to interact with famous historical figures then this series isn't for you. In this book alone Gordianus meets with Caesar, Pompey, M
Tita
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2015
Classificação: 4,5 Estrelas

Uma vez mais, gostei de voltar à Roma Antiga e rever Gordiano e todas as outras personagens que o rodeiam.
Desta vez temos o assassinato de Públio Clódio que ocorreu, nada mais nada menos, na Via Ápia. Milo, o rival de Públio, é apontado como suspeito. Assim, Gordiano acaba por ser contactado por diversas personalidades, entre as quais, Pompeu, para investigar o verdadeiro culpado.
Até ao momento, este livro foi um dos meus preferidos. Gostei bastante como Saylor equili
Inês Beato
Mais uma grande aventura de Gordiano, o Descobridor! Steven Saylor transportou-me novamente para a Roma Antiga e apresentou mais caso repleto de mistério e personagens cativantes. Neste até Pompeu e Júlio César são chamados “ao barulho”. Foi igualmente interessante assistir à queda de Cícero e os seus malfadados discursos.
Optei por ler este volume da série na versão original em inglês e devo dizer que todos os que optei por este caminho foram sempre mais interessantes do que aqueles em que esco
Ashling
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Viva Gordiano!
Kathy Davie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, mystery
Fifth in the Roma Sub Rosa historical mystery series set in ancient Rome and revolving around Gordianus the Finder, senior.

My Take
I definitely should not have read John Maddox Roberts' King's Gambit , I when I started this series. It's got me all confused with the different Milos! I kept expecting Saylor's Milo to be the same person as Roberts', which is silly, but, well, there ya go…

The drama swirls around power. Wanting it, having it, getting it back. Gaining power over another. But the under
Moshe Mikanovsky
The research and details are as always superb, but this one was so long... I would have loved it to be way shorter and concise. Still, enjoying this series a lot!
Dennis Fischman
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Excellent historical drama, intriguing twists and turns in the Gordianus family (Gordianus igitur!), and oh yes, a murder mystery that comes together as a flawless whole.
Bruce
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans and Romaphiles
Shelves: fiction
Hey, a Saylor book I liked, how about that? In this one, fictional detective Gordianus gets mixed up in uncovering the details behind populist demagogue Publius Clodius' murder in 52 BC (the "year of no consuls"). As I understand it, there are those who see the murder as the Republic's Rubicon, the beginning of a story whose midpoint comes with Julius Caesar's assassination, crests at the Battle of Actium, and is completed when Augustus takes power. In this context, events follow inevitably from ...more
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Steven Saylor is on my list of authors to purchase whenever he publishes a new novel. My husband and I first discovered him through the short stories he published in Ellery Queen and hurried to buy his first novel, Roman Blood when it was first published. We have rarely been disappointed in any of Saylor's offerings.

This novel, Murder on the Appian Way combines the best aspects of Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series. His "detective"--Gordianus the Finder--is a Roman citizen who has worked for many of
Ensiform
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
When politician and friend of the people Publius Clodius is murdered on the Appian Way, his enemy Titus Milo is accused. While Cicero goes to Milo’s defense, Gordianus and Eco are hired by Pompey to look into the matter, even as the streets of Rome descend into anarchy, rival gangs clashing by night and the Senate House burned to the ground.

This book may be the best yet in the Rome Sub Rosa series. Gordianus, obsessed with the truth and with protecting his family, is a fine, all too human charac
John Carter McKnight
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two prominent politicians with their entourages meet on the road to Rome. One ends up dead. His supporters riot, burning the Senate House to the ground and causing the suspension of elections. What happened on the Appian Way?

As with most of the Roma Sub Rosa books, Saylor uses an actual Roman courtroom trial as the climax of a narrative. Here he takes on an unsolved mystery sometimes called "the murder of Archduke Ferdinand of the fall of the Roman Republic." Populist firebrand Clodius died on t
Susanne
Saylor kennt sich gut aus im antiken Rom und er kennt seinen Stoff. Seine lebendige Darstellung des römischen Alltags und der römischen Politik bringen mich dazu, immer wieder zum nächsten Band zu greifen! Die Geschichte um Clodius' Ermordung und Milos' Prozess in diesem 5. Band der Reihe erhält eine interessante neue Wendung, die bekannten und liebenswerten Protagonisten entwickeln sich glaubwürdig weiter. Aber der Stil ist unbeholfen. Ausufernde Erklärungen, Dialoge und Reden machen den Krimi ...more
MaryBeth
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very exciting addition to the series. Marc Anthony is moving in and Cicero is being pushed out of the Roman spotlight. There was even mention of a young Cleopatra. I can't wait to read the next book.
Alex
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I can't stop reading these books. They're like crack.
Kyo
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-classics
Yaaassh! Really liked this one; loved the politics and the mystery and it was just great :D!
Vicki Kondelik
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Murder on the Appian Way is the fifth book in Steven Saylor’s mystery series featuring ancient Roman detective Gordianus the Finder. It is inspired by actual events that took place in 52 BCE. The plot focuses on two rival politicians, Clodius and Milo. Clodius is an aristocrat turned rabble-rouser and has set himself up as the champion of the common people. Milo, on the other hand, is of humble origins but has gained the support of the aristocrats. Naturally, the two of them hate each other, a ...more
Judi Moore
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was ‘givers’. Indeed, I cannot even remember who gave it to me. It has had a hard life, which it began in Poole library. Lord knows where it has been since then to get so tatty, but I shall put it on the shelf of treasured fiction and search out more by Mr Saylor.

This is book #5 in Saylor’s ‘Gordianus the Finder’ series. There are maybe nine in all, perhaps more. This one came out 20 years ago.

It is beautifully researched, entwining what is known about the events described with fiction
Andrew Bennett
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm very impressed with this whole series, but I feel this is the best one yet. I don't know if its because we're getting deeper into the most exciting time of human history, or if the characters are just growing on me that much.

The Roman history from this period reads like a novel anyway, add Saylor's masterful touch a making it a detective novel with a well-crafted cast and you have a great book

Would it get a 5 if I hadn't read the other 4 up to this point? Probably not, but everyone should b
Sara G
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gordianus the Finder is, as always, at the center of events in Rome in this book. This one revolves around Clodius's murder, Milo's trial, and all the instability in Rome at the time. Gordianus is hired by both Fulvia (Clodius's widow) and Pompey Magnus to look into the events surrounding the death, but of course nothing is that simple in the declining Roman Republic. This is one of my favorite book series right now.
Lsnook
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saylor's extensive research into Ancient Rome is obvious, if a little unsophisticated in it's presentation at times. That said, 'A Murder on the Appian Way' presents an engaging version of events. I would definitely recommend this to anyone studying the 'Pro Milone'.
Little Red Readinghood
It maybe because I listened to this book but it felt long and tedious. I stuck it out to the end because the mystery was interesting and the history details new to me. Perhaps it is better to read the book.
Sue Law
Another solid Gordianus the finder mystery. Saylor's writing is good, but constrained by his practice of setting his character in the forefront of historical events investigating real happenings.
Cyd
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent as usual. Very enjoyable ancient-Roman brain candy.
Dean
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any of Steven Saylor's books are going to be great and this one is no different
Marc
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still an interesting read if you know the result of the Milo trial (e.g. because the Pro Milone happened to be part of your high-school Latin exam).
Matt
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: History addicts
I was enjoying this book far more than I wanted to, given the fact that ultimately it was a murder mystery that failed to satisfy in any fashion. Fortunately, the story let go of me before I got to the end.

The reason I was enjoying this book so much is that I'm a sucker for history, and even such well picked over carrion as the final days of the Roman Republic managed to be pretty gripping and interesting for me in the author's hand.

But at the same time, one of my pet peeves in historical fictio
Ted
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great glimpse into living in Roman times.
Gretchen
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-rome
Four and a half stars. Goodreads if you need help deciding on a New Year's resolution, might I suggest a half star option? I'm not sure if I've brought up my desire for a half star rating lately. Anyway.......

Previously I had said The Venus Throw was my favorite novel featuring Gordianus the Finder and crew. I only said that because I had not yet read A Murder on the Appian Way. As Rome is barreling toward the most critical point in the history of the Empire, Saylor does a magnificent job emergi
Neil
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story with so much detail that you are transported back into Rome at the time of Pompey, Cicero, Milo etc. Really well written and with the characters continuing to grow this makes for excellent reading. I'm glad I'm following the stories in sequence as you see how he thinks and the way his family evolve around him and it makes for a brilliant series.
  • SPQR XI: Under Vesuvius (SPQR, #11)
  • Scandal Takes a Holiday (Marcus Didius Falco, #16)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
Steven Saylor is the author of the long running Roma Sub Rosa series featuring Gordianus the Finder, as well as the New York Times bestselling novel, Roma and its follow-up, Empire. He has appeared as an on-air expert on Roman history and life on The History Channel.

Saylor was born in Texas and graduated with high honors from The University of Texas at Austin, where he studied history and class
More about Steven Saylor

Roma Sub Rosa (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Roman Blood (Roma Sub Rosa, #1)
  • Arms of Nemesis (Roma Sub Rosa, #2)
  • Catilina's Riddle (Roma Sub Rosa, #3)
  • The Venus Throw (Roma Sub Rosa, #4)
  • The House of the Vestals (Roma Sub Rosa, #6)
  • Rubicon (Roma Sub Rosa, #7)
  • Last Seen in Massilia (Roma Sub Rosa, #8)
  • A Mist of Prophecies (Roma Sub Rosa, #9)
  • The Judgment of Caesar (Roma Sub Rosa, #10)
  • A Gladiator Dies Only Once (Roma Sub Rosa, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Invisible
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Hush
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series)
    $14.99 $3.99
  • The Historian
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Hellfire Club
    $13.99 $4.99
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99