Start by marking “Peek-a-Boo” as Want to Read:
Peek-a-Boo

Peek-a-Boo

This work follows a baby through the day. A series of holes peeping through to the next page leads the young child on to the next stage of the day, giving a hint of what is to come.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published September 1st 1997 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published October 19th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Peek-a-Boo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peek-a-Boo

Start your review of Peek-a-Boo
Lorna
A beautiful book for little ones, with piles of 1940s detail to discuss in the pictures. A word of warning, though: because I'm a bit dense, it took me a few goes to realise that the baby's father was not in fact in the Home Guard or the like, but actually on his last day of leave from the War (you see him gradually getting dressed in his army uniform over the course of the book). I now have a bit of trouble getting through the last pages without becoming teary...
Kathryn
This is such a fun little book! I love the "peek through" pages where you get a glimpse of what is going on with the baby's family in another part of their house/yard. Super cute illustrations are full of detail but not too "busy" for little ones.
Best_books
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Known to my kids and I as 'Peepo' this is one of our favourites (and there are many contenders in this genre!). Beautiful rhyming story about what a baby can see from various places - his cot, high hair, bath etc. The verse is beautifully written and easy to read and the illustrations so fascinatingly detailed you will find something else to catch your eye every time you open a page. This is an absolute must in any baby's collection!
Sylvester
5* art
5* story/poem/concept

The perfect marriage of writing and illustrating. Absolutely love the details, which are so true to life (the baby watches the tassels on his Grandma's shawl waving in the breeze).

You were right, Overbylass. We love it.
Claire Holloway
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of what a baby (around 10 months old) sees and does during the day. I really enjoyed this book and there are lots of opportunities for inference in this book. Children can look through the hole in the centre of the page and try to figure out what else the baby can see and what else is happening in the scene, for example what his dad is doing. This book could also be used with older children, perhaps in year 2 to year 4, to discuss the images (When were they set? What ...more
Stephen Barry
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peepo is a picture book told from the perspective of a baby boy. He seems to be at the age of around 9/10 months old. Just around the age where he is able to sit up himself and is beginning to notice different and fascinating things around him. Things that perhaps the older children and adults are not noticing as they are so busy doing different things. For example,

"He sees a bonfire smoking,
pigeons in the sky,
His mother cleaning windows,
A dog going by".

So while his Mother is concentrating
Stacy
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A darling little rhyming book about a day in the life of a baby and his family. I believe the family is English since some of the words are not in common usage here. I read it to my granddaughter and she loved it as well. Truly lived up to its reviews.
Oanh
While the rhyming in this book is lovely, and the pictures are sweet, the story and characters are very gender stereotyped. Mum has curlers in her hair; Grandma irons etc. Baby is too impatient to sit through the full verse and the pages get turned rather quickly, so I edit out the gender-restrictive parts.
Nicole Gray
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This book is about a baby and what he sees through out his day. There is a cut out on every page that children could look through. The pictures and text seemed super busy to me and there was just a lot going on in this book. Not sure it would hold a young ones interest for to long but I could see lots of possibilities for looking further into the pictures.
A
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Peek-A-Boo

Published 1997, copyright 1981, Viking, The Penguin Group, isbn 0670871923

A delightful and interactive peek-a-boo book for babies and young children. The book also hides a deeper message about family love in wartime England.

While the Booklist review on the back of this book recommends it as a first book for babies, it is interesting enough on different levels that it can grow with your child until he or she is an early reader. The most obvious interactive feature that would appeal to
Nazia Ahmed
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom
This story is set a few decades ago. As an adult, I enjoyed looking at the contrast in modern and post-World War settings in the family home in Britain. I love the way this book shows family unity. Most young children will be able to relate to a character, or relate a family member to a character the book has portrayed.

Peepo is a fabulous picture book, which is told through the perspective of a baby boy (approx age of baby is 10 months). The baby is watching what is going on around him. The
Tahmin Nessa
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet and Allan Ahlberg's story Peepo is based on the perspective of a baby boy. Throughout the day and the story, the baby is watching what is going on around him, for example his dad sleeping, mum cooking, grandma putting out clothes and so on.

This book contains a hole in the middle of the page so the audience can only see a small part of what the boy is seeing until we turn the page. Therefore this is great for story time amongst the Early Years and Key Stage One as it promotes children to
Rachael_rebecca
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book for Early Years Foundation Stage, giving teacher's the opportunity to introduce the early Historical concept of old and new. Reading this with a class and pointing to the old furniture, clothes and food and asking 'Do we think these are items from this time, or the past?'. I used this book with my year 1 phonics/reading group last year and they loved it. One child even managed to guess that the picture of Winston Churchill hanging on the wall was 'an important man ...more
Amal
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Peepo is a book about a baby who is very observant of his surroundings, he picks out specific details of what he sees and encounters in his daily life. The book has some interesting illustrations, it also has a circle cut out on every other page of the book were the baby peeks through. If you look carefully at the illustrations of this book, you can pick the WWII theme, which gives the book a time and setting.

Upper KS2 children may use this book during their topic lessons on WWII, they may want
Hassan Ali
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Book Review 5 - Peek-a-Boo – Janet and Alan Ahlberg.

All children from nursery to key stage one will be able to happily read this book or have it read to them by a parent/guardian. The book starts off by showing a picture of a toddler in her crib and has rhyming lines to set the tone of the book and create a jolly mood for the reader. The toddler or baby looks out from his cot, chair, pushchair etc. There are holes cut out in the book to show beautiful watercolour images and the text provides
Amy
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All toddlers, their mummies and daddies
This has been a firm favourite since my oldest child was a baby and we own a well loved copy.

The book is from the perspective of a little baby boy and will appeal to babies due to the asthetics of the book, with the cut out hole to the next page - perfect for chubby little hands to hold, through to older children and adults, as when you turn the page the fantastic illustrations depict WW2 scenes of family life.

The book is written in gentle rhyme which we all know by heart and Janet Ahlberg's
Libby
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this up at the library last week because I like the Ahlbergs (I loved The Jolly Postman as a kid, and discovered Each Peach Pear Plum just before having my own kids) and thought my youngest would enjoy it. She did (as did the other two), but what made the book most interesting for me was the 1950's era illustrations, reminding me of the show Call the Midwife, which I've recently become hooked on. I checked the copyright (1981), so this was definitely done in a purposefully historical ...more
Chloe
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book for younger years/year 1.
As ever with the Ahlbergs the story is witty and the illustrations and format of the book are not simple or boring.
My nieces who have a 6-month-old brother LOVE it as they imagine him as the baby in the book and try to guess what he is seeing and describe it to me.
Simple to read aloud and follows a pattern that is easy to follow for more novice readers.
Highly recommend especically if you've read and enjoyed another Ahlberg book.
Leslie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A classic peek-a-boo book.
Melanie
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My children adore this book.A joy to read from start to finish.
Sue Winson
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
23-month old little-AJ and Mummy fell into love with this book the very first time we read it. There is a cut-out hole at each alternative page, showing us what the little baby (perhaps 10 months old?) sees while looking around his surroundings at different times of a day. We have so much fun pointing at the objects, and spotting random items lying around here and there at the very realistically messy household with three kids.

There are so much goings-on in each picture. Everyone around is
Destiney Dickson
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Literature Requirement: Baby Book
Number of pages: 32
Age level: 2 and up
Genre: poetry/fiction
Copyright: Jane and Allan Ahleberg
Book Format: Board Book
This board book is about a little baby boy and everything he sees and experiences during a day. Throughout the book, one page will say where he is and then ask "what does he see?" The right page has a cut out circle that shows a glimpse of what it is. Underneath the cut out circle it says "peek-a-boo!" and when the page is turned there is a
Sue
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: little-miss
I loved this book when my children were young. I can't imagine how many times I must have read it to them. I used to be able to read it with my eyes closed as I knew it so well! The illustrations are nostalgic 1940/50s domestic scenes and the rhymes are delightful. There is a window in each page so that the child can look through to see what's coming up next.

It's sturdily made and the illustrations and text are beautiful and clear.

I had been planning to get a copy of this for my granddaughter
Maureen
It took me awhile to really appreciate this book at it's beautiful illustrations. Eventually it became a favourite for all of us and an opportunity to talk about how the illustrations fit in to history and the events happening at that time.
I've got it in board book format but given the discussions it could lead to, it might work better in picture book format, except the peep through pages would be more likely to get ripped.
Rachel
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read this classic to my baby daughter twice as part of our new nightly routine. At 9 (nearly 10) weeks old, she doesn’t understand yet (she was hardly awake!) but in time I hope to enjoy this book even more with her. It’s rhyme is catchy and it has so much detail in the artwork that it could easily become a game to find different images in it.
It’s charming and nostalgic for me and my hubby.
Looking forward to many more readings in future!
Kaitlyn Davin
This book was nice, it had the story repeating and babies are able to take a glimpse into their day. I did like how the pages changed formats from the little circle with full white around it to the entire page being colored. The illustrations were really good and always something to look at. Not my favorite book.
Krisz
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book with good and easy rhymes and good, detailed pictures.
The idea of peeping is also a good one: slows down the reader to think what the baby would actually see! My little one likes to talk about what see sees regardless of verse, so it is a good way to build vocabulary!
(I liked to connect with the pictures too, that tell of a different childhood.)
Ailsa Graham
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Peepo" by Janet and Allan Ahlberg was a hardcover story of a baby's day and the things he saw throughout the day. The book was interactive as every other page included a hole to show the right page of the next page and an insight of what the baby saw. The illustrations were cartoon and colorful and the story was rhythmic and repetitive which provided for a easier understanding of the story.
Nicola
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Peepo is such a beautiful and classic story! Miss 2 loves it and as she's grown older comments on more details in the pictures including the little toys in the page corners. I loved it when I was younger as well and am glad that I can share it again with her.
Here's a day in the life of a baby- what does he see? Scenes of his family in daily life from morning till evening.

I want to say that the time period for these illustrations in the 1940s or 1950s. They definitely have a retro feel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Room on the Broom
  • The Gruffalo's Child
  • Aliens Love Underpants
  • Not Now, Bernard
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years