Start by marking “Give Us This Day” as Want to Read:
Give Us This Day

Give Us This Day (The Swann Saga #3)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  533 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The glorious final novel in the beloved classic God Is an Englishman saga "A heroic finale to the author's cavalcade of middle-class life." -W. B. Hill, Best Sellers Sweeping Adam Swann and three generations of his family into the tide of events that followed Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, this stirring novel confronts them, and England, with the social upheaval ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks (first published January 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Give Us This Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give Us This Day

G.C. Neff
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, this was the last of the trilogy. I remember well the ending, one of the finest closures to a book that I have ever read. But the characters are as alive in my mind as they were when I was enjoying the books word for word. Not a disappointment among any of the novels in this trilogy.
Donna
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Character-driven glimpse into the rise of the industrial age. Great protagonist. Wonderful insight concerning the creation of an industry. None of what I've said does this series credit. It's absorbing, fascinating historical fictionl
Pam Kirst
I did not realize until deep into the book that this was the last book in a trilogy. I missed having background information, but this book was still a fascinating lens to look at the years leading up to WWI in Britain. Especially fascinating was the way suffragists were treated. Talk about vitriol!

And a quote from p. 581..."It struck him then...that hardly anyone practicing politics had the ability, or even the wish, to think things through..." Sigh. Some things don't change...
Jan
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Third book in the series of The Swann Family" and God is an Englishman.

This book takes us to the start of WWI. The story of the family continues, how the children and grandchildren grow up, and take their places in the world. Their trials and tribulations, the story of a family in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Unfortunately, the reader is left with a real rotten ending, it just finishes, leaving the reader extremely disappointed, in not knowing what will become of the family, the Empire
Peter Cobb
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad to finish this wonderful trilogy but it was also time to bring the family saga to a close. Wonderful sense of family and social evolution set in the onslaught of the industrial revolution with all of its accompanying displacement of ideas and mores. Delderfield does his historical homework meticulously, occasionally numbingly so, but through it all the grandeur of the characters and the sweep of the story carried me captivatingly onward. It is romanticized fiction - and sometimes the romance ...more
Virginia
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so thoroughly enjoyed these three books. I expected one to stand out from the others but found that not to be the case. These characters were so well drawn, so thorough in their depictions that I felt I really understood them and why the did what they did. I am left to wonder why it took me ever so long to finally get around to reading them. There are a wide variety of secondary characters, from fellow workers to in-laws and he takes the care to develop them just as thoughtfully as his 'stars' ...more
Diana Quincy
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I found this final book in the "God is an Englishman" saga to be a bit slower than its predecessors. Delderfield also throws in a number of deaths near the end of the book that almost feel forced. We only really feel the fallout from one of them. The author also doesn't seem particularly interested in his female characters and deals with them in a mostly cursory manner. Patriarch Adam Swann is smart and progressive, yet the wife he chooses is not particularly intelligent and his relationship wit ...more
Michael Plas
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some have said that this is the weakest book of the trilogy,as I agree with that assessment. I differ though in how much this weakness is. The whole series is so strong that this book's weekends only appears when compared to its predecessors. I think part of the problem comes from the attempt to tie down every loose end. I suppose it can't be helped, but it could have been done better; parts of the book dragged.
Denise
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last installment of the Swann Saga Trilogy. I enjoyed this as much as the others. Queen Victoria dies, the Women’s' Suffragette movement is born and England enters the age of the automobile which of course impacts the Swann transportation network. The "Great War" is looming but very few see the frightening potential to change Europe and Great Britain forever. Wonderful characters, stories and details across three generations and all the turmoil of these times.
Michael Kennard
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend loaned me God is an English Man along with parts 2 and 3 of the Swann saga some twenty five or so years ago. They gathered dust, got moved around, got looked at but not read until around a year ago. I needed a quality read so I dusted them off and found a comfortable chair and started reading. What a wonderful reading experience, not quite up there with A Horseman Riding By but close.
Ruth
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
c1973. Timeless. This is the 3rd book in the Swan Family saga. Delderfield (12 February 1912 - 24 June 1972) was a great novelist with a genuine love of his country and proud of its history. He so easily interweaves the lives of the Swan family with the social and economic changes that were happening at the time the story was set.
J V Woods
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a marathon.

I must admit to being a little bored by the time I got to the end of this novel. My comments on the second novel still stand. I felt there was too much retrospective which bulked the story out. A good history lesson though for the Victorian era through to the First World War. At school I was only taught as far as Charles the second in history.
Harriett Bulger
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the three books in a row....I'm sad that the story finally came to a conclusion. I wanted another book!

The saga ends with the start of World War I....and lets the reader draw their own conclusions of
how the Swan clan weathered this historic time in history. I'm sure that if you enjoy historical novels these books will be worth your time.
Denise
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this final installment of the Swann saga very much. I found the story moved very well and liked the tie in to actual historical events. All in all, this was an excellent trilogy and I will miss reading about this family.
Margareth8537
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite sad to end this series but it is a suitable point. This was the end of a way of life for so many families
Joanne
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keep
Epic of the Swann family. Moves from horses to trucks through the lives of all the family. Would make a good TV series. It is a little too descriptive (lacks plot) but still entertaining.
Angela Gill
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my very favorite trilogies!
Catherine Adde
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything by Delderfield: great historical fiction.
Ian Billick
The series really ran out of energy in this book. It's worth reading if you really liked the first two books, but it is the weakest of the trilogy.
Pat
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Final entry in this excellent trilogy. I found myself less "attached" to the Swann family offspring than the parents; but definitely a favorite series.
Ann Watkins
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I love saga books, especially those about England. This book was excellent.
Craig
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Not as good as GIAE - see why in that review.
Kristina
An interesting story, but totally frivilous. Good beach read, except it is a bit long.
Brian
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story kind of dropped off in the third book, I think the family got too big to follow closely enough for the characters to have the depth the older generations had.
Linda C. Sheehey
May 24, 2009
Anna
Jan 06, 2017
  • Ride With Me
  • The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3)
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
  • Dynasty of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • Foxfire
  • Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1)
  • The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)
  • Katie Mulholland
  • China Court: The Hours of a Country House
  • Love Among the Ruins
  • Fortune's Lady
Ronald Frederick Delderfield was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social history from the Edwardian era to the
More about R.F. Delderfield...

The Swann Saga (3 books)
  • God Is an Englishman (Swann Saga, #1)
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)