Start by marking “More Parts” as Want to Read:
More Parts

More Parts

(Parts #2)

Through zany, brightly colored illustrations and rhyming verse, Arnold explores common figures of speech that amaze and frighten a young boy. "I'll bet that broke your heart," "give him a hand," "Hold your tongue," and "jumps out of his skin" are only a few of the sayings that worry the protagonist.
Published October 13th 2003 by Puffin Books (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about More Parts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Parts

Start your review of More Parts
Kathy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
So funny - Love the way this boy thinks. My 5 year old is at the perfect age to read this book to.
Nyssa
Two perks for the price of subbing for one 2nd grade class!

We actually read this one first (they had already read Parts sometime before). It was almost as cute as the first one, which I opted to reread to them since it was new to me. Comparing the two, I felt that this story was much more farfetched than its predecessor.
Natalie Greaves
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this series. It a neat way of explaining expressions to children. Also they help children understand different sayings and what is meant by them. I would definitely use this story in my classroom.
C
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked it, but it didn't work so well as a read-aloud. My literal-minded five-year-old was shocked and unamused at the thought of a boy losing his body parts. We won't be reading this one again for a few years.
Grace Holmes
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny, engaging poetry book of a silly story of a boy who learns figures of speech. I would use this book for 1st or 2nd graders to teach about figures of speech and poetry. I loved how the book had a nice rhythm to it for a read-aloud and the illustrations were highly exaggerated and colorful.

An idea to use this book in the classroom would be to engaged students to write a funny poem about themselves. After, the students would create a colorful craft portrait of themselves to glue th
Sarah Cho
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picure-books
Very funny book. This book is relatable to almost anyone, adults, young chilren. The book has a boy who is confused about some of the phrases his parents use. Such as, "That must've broken your heart". This he takes literal and wrecks his mind trying to think about what his heart is actually doing. It is a silly book and I would highly reccomend reading it to your classroom.
Hannah
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a very amusing book because it was about a child who didn't understand any idioms, so he took everything very literally. This would be a fun way to begin talking about metaphors in writing and would lead to a good discussion about how we use idioms in our everyday language. I think students would be very entertained by this book and would want to learn more idioms.
Anthony
How is an ordinary five year old kid going to keep his body parts all in place, when people keep saying strange things, like "give me a hand", "hold you tongue", and other sayings that requires the body and its parts. This funny tale brings to visual life in the mind of a five year old the use of figures of speech.
Stephen
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Date read: 10/29/2020
Date of review: 10/29/2020
Genre: Realistic fiction, humor
Grade Range: 2-3
Like its predecessor, this book is full of funny rhymes and insights about the sorts of things that cause us to worry when we're kids. It really gets you thinking about how words can mean different things in different contexts.
Kristen Lunsford
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how this book was a rhyming book. As an adult, this book kept me wondering what was going to scare him next and what he was going to do. The over exaggerate pictures made the illustration even more interesting. I enjoyed this book a lot and would recommend.
Anna
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second part to Parts, also very hilarious as rhe first one. Very funny and soo cute the pictures are so funny and the words used makes it funny for both children and adults. This little guy wants to make sure he is not falling apart. Or will.break parts of his body off if he is not careful
Hailey Forbes
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: contemporary realistic
Reading Level: lower elementary

This book was quite humorous. The boy in the story took everything literally such as “give me a hand” and thought that meant to literally give up his hand. I️t was a fun story.
SaraKat
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humorous exploration of idiomatic expressions involving body parts. Funny illustrations of common expressions that might confuse children are included and offer a great opportunity for parents to discuss their meanings since the book doesn't explain the expressions for the reader.
N
This is a super cute book about a little boy who thinks all sorts of idioms like "break my heart" and "crack me up" are literal and he gets scared and tries to find ways to protect himself from this crazy world.
Janeill Banks
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book

I thought this book was a fun way to talk about idioms with children. The main character in this book takes everything very literally and goes crazy about the silly things people say that they don't really mean in a literal sense.
Alison Guo
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The boy is funny. Because when people say to take of from your body he tries to glue himself together and when he goes in his room his parents find him and they say why do you look like this? And the boy says people say to take off parts of your body.
Jennifer Ruvalcaba
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Grade Level: Preschool-3
When learning about idioms, this book is great because both the text and the illustration come together to show the idiom. When reading the text, the illustration show what you are literally reading. That would help children see what an idiom is and what it can mean.
Heather
I would use this book to help a child understand figurative language, like "Would you give me a hand"? A child may take this literally and get confused and scared since they may take this literally like the boy in the story.
Melissa Namba
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun follow up book to the crazy way we use words and how they might sound when taken literally. The illustrations are super fun. Kids will enjoy this although you should probably shoot for the older toddlers, the one's with some attention span.
Paul
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
the date you completed reading the book: 10-29-20
a star rating (1 to 5): 5
the date:10-29-20
the genre: fiction
appropriate grade range: K-2
a written book review:
It is a nice follow-up to Parts. Fun to hear these sayings through the ears of a young child.
Randal Jr.
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is another good resource for teaching idioms.
Kelly
Just as good as the first book.
Hannah
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting! Could be used in a lesson about hyperboles or idioms. Cool illustrations. Could be good for an interactive read aloud.
Natasha Richards
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the book. its very silly and shows how children take sayings and let their imagination run wild
Shantay Evans
Shelves: funny, science
Just as cute as Parts. An excellent play on words. Really makes you think about the things that we say that could be misunderstood.
Marissa Estrada
Shelves: in-class-books
This book is adorable. Children can relate to this book because sometimes as little people you just don't understand what grown ups are talking about. I loved this book!
Yamile Méndez
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-18
Super funny and a great way to teach different expressions to kids.
Kara Campfield
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-books
A young boy goes through a day in trying to be as safe as he can be. During his day he comes to different adventures that lead him to almost falling apart.
1. Safety
2. Parts of Body
3. The Brain
Marta Pereira
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny
lots of language puns and body idioms

"give a hand"
Hold your breath.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• My Teacher Likes to Say
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
  • Cirkusmysteriet (LasseMajas detektivbyrå, #3)
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • I Just Want to Say Good Night
  • The Tiny Seed
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
  • Ninja Red Riding Hood
  • What Do You Do With a Chance?
  • Ox-Cart Man
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,