Start by marking “More Parts” as Want to Read:
More Parts

More Parts

(Parts #2)

Through zany, brightly colored illustrations and rhyming verse, Arnold explores common figures of speech that amaze and frighten a young boy. "I'll bet that broke your heart," "give him a hand," "Hold your tongue," and "jumps out of his skin" are only a few of the sayings that worry the protagonist.
Published October 13th 2003 by Puffin Books (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about More Parts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Parts

Kathy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
So funny - Love the way this boy thinks. My 5 year old is at the perfect age to read this book to.
Nyssa
Two perks for the price of subbing for one 2nd grade class!

We actually read this one first (they had already read Parts sometime before). It was almost as cute as the first one, which I opted to reread to them since it was new to me. Comparing the two, I felt that this story was much more farfetched than its predecessor.
Natalie Greaves
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this series. It a neat way of explaining expressions to children. Also they help children understand different sayings and what is meant by them. I would definitely use this story in my classroom.
C
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked it, but it didn't work so well as a read-aloud. My literal-minded five-year-old was shocked and unamused at the thought of a boy losing his body parts. We won't be reading this one again for a few years.
Hannah
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a very amusing book because it was about a child who didn't understand any idioms, so he took everything very literally. This would be a fun way to begin talking about metaphors in writing and would lead to a good discussion about how we use idioms in our everyday language. I think students would be very entertained by this book and would want to learn more idioms.
Sarah Cho
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picure-books
Very funny book. This book is relatable to almost anyone, adults, young chilren. The book has a boy who is confused about some of the phrases his parents use. Such as, "That must've broken your heart". This he takes literal and wrecks his mind trying to think about what his heart is actually doing. It is a silly book and I would highly reccomend reading it to your classroom.
Anthony
How is an ordinary five year old kid going to keep his body parts all in place, when people keep saying strange things, like "give me a hand", "hold you tongue", and other sayings that requires the body and its parts. This funny tale brings to visual life in the mind of a five year old the use of figures of speech.
Kristen Lunsford
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how this book was a rhyming book. As an adult, this book kept me wondering what was going to scare him next and what he was going to do. The over exaggerate pictures made the illustration even more interesting. I enjoyed this book a lot and would recommend.
SaraKat
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humorous exploration of idiomatic expressions involving body parts. Funny illustrations of common expressions that might confuse children are included and offer a great opportunity for parents to discuss their meanings since the book doesn't explain the expressions for the reader.
Hailey Forbes
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: contemporary realistic
Reading Level: lower elementary

This book was quite humorous. The boy in the story took everything literally such as “give me a hand” and thought that meant to literally give up his hand. It was a fun story.
Alison Guo
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The boy is funny. Because when people say to take of from your body he tries to glue himself together and when he goes in his room his parents find him and they say why do you look like this? And the boy says people say to take off parts of your body.
Anna
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second part to Parts, also very hilarious as rhe first one. Very funny and soo cute the pictures are so funny and the words used makes it funny for both children and adults. This little guy wants to make sure he is not falling apart. Or will.break parts of his body off if he is not careful
Janeill Gregg
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book

I thought this book was a fun way to talk about idioms with children. The main character in this book takes everything very literally and goes crazy about the silly things people say that they don't really mean in a literal sense.
N
This is a super cute book about a little boy who thinks all sorts of idioms like "break my heart" and "crack me up" are literal and he gets scared and tries to find ways to protect himself from this crazy world.
Shiloah
We love these books! Poor little anxious guy.
Randal Burd
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is another good resource for teaching idioms.
Kara Campfield
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-books
A young boy goes through a day in trying to be as safe as he can be. During his day he comes to different adventures that lead him to almost falling apart.
1. Safety
2. Parts of Body
3. The Brain
Leslie Basky
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another super silly, as the adventure continues!! Idioms and humorous
Kelly
Just as good as the first book.
Shantay Evans
Shelves: funny, science
Just as cute as Parts. An excellent play on words. Really makes you think about the things that we say that could be misunderstood.
Hannah
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting! Could be used in a lesson about hyperboles or idioms. Cool illustrations. Could be good for an interactive read aloud.
Yamile Méndez
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-18
Super funny and a great way to teach different expressions to kids.
Yinxue Zhang
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hold your breath.
Natasha Richards
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the book. its very silly and shows how children take sayings and let their imagination run wild
Marta Pereira
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny
lots of language puns and body idioms

"give a hand"
"cracked"
"scream lungs out"
Marissa Estrada
Shelves: in-class-books
This book is adorable. Children can relate to this book because sometimes as little people you just don't understand what grown ups are talking about. I loved this book!
Melissa Morgal
Fun and silly read aloud book. Good to read to students to help them realize that some things are said with the intent that that are not to be taken literally- Screaming her lungs out, etc.
Good vocabulary and nice illustrations.
Ronyell
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“More Parts” is the sequel to Tedd Arnold’s famous “Parts” book and it continues the story of how the little boy from the previous “Parts” book tries to understand some of the idioms about body parts that everyone around him is saying. This book is just as funny and cute as the first book and it will certainly be a favorite among children for many years.

Tedd Arnold’s writing and illustrations are both cute and hilarious as this book details about how a boy worries about his body falling apart a
Megan Cureton
More Parts was a second book for the books Parts. I really enjoyed this book about a young boy that takes figurative language literally. My favorite parts of this book was when his dad said, "Give dad a hand." The boy thought that his dad really meant for him to give him one of his hands and he went wondering about how awful it would be for him to take one of his hands. Another one of my favorite parts in the story would be when they told him they had a joke that would crack him up and that he b ...more
Haley Hardwick
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I thought this book was hilarious!! It is so funny to see this little boy frightened of certain phrases such as "He nearly jumped out of his skin," "it broke his heart," and my personal favorite "Give me a hand." This story is hilariously written and the illustrations add to the madness and confusion this little boy is feeling.

Purpose: Read aloud grades 1-3
-enjoyment: the story is very funny, and the students can maybe relate to how the boy feels about some of these idioms.
  • There's a Frog in My Throat!: 440 Animal Sayings a Little Bird Told Me
  • The Plot Chickens
  • My Little Sister Ate One Hare
  • Edward and the Pirates
  • Alice The Fairy
  • The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage Without Apostrophes!
  • The Butt Book
  • Crickwing
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • Ready for Anything!
  • The Library Dragon
  • Punk Farm
  • How Are You Peeling?
  • My Great-Aunt Arizona
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,