Start by marking “De Aeneas van Virgilius” as Want to Read:

Virgil

Read Book* *Different edition

De Aeneas van Virgilius

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  96,732 ratings  ·  2,275 reviews
The Aeneid is an epic poem written by Virgil in the 1st century BC. It's hero is Aeneas, a Trojan who travels from Troy to Italy to eventually found Rome. Some argue that The Aeneid is Virgil's answer to Homer's Odyssey and Iliad, combining two genres of the day - travel and war - into one poem. Take that, Homer!

No civilization is without a bit of revisionist history: so i
Nook, 0 pages
Published by [ter] Boekdrukkerij vanP.E. Bri (first published -19)

To ask other readers questions about De Aeneas van Virgilius, please sign up.
Don Dido suffers more because Aeneas is demonstrating the Roman virtue of severitas, which is a fulfillment in its own right.
Cassandra Not very often. He's mostly just a 2D character whose actions are only chosen because they are the most pietas. Virgil rarely shows Aeneas' actual…moreNot very often. He's mostly just a 2D character whose actions are only chosen because they are the most pietas. Virgil rarely shows Aeneas' actual thoughts and feelings - basically the only thing Aeneas does for himself is to be with Dido, and even then you barely get to see what Aeneas thinks about the whole thing.
One moment when he shows human feeling: Book 1, giving a rousing speech to his men saying stuff like 'we have long been no strangers to affliction' despite that he was 'sick at heart, for the cares which he bore were heavy indeed'.(less)

·  96,732 ratings  ·  2,275 reviews

Lisa
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What god can help me tell so dread a story?
Who could describe that carnage in a song - “

Well, the answer of course is Virgil, a poet of the era of Augustus’ Rome. Why does he write it? Many literary critics have condemned the Aeneid for being state propaganda. Of course it is. Openly, proudly so! Many others have condemned it for connecting strongly to other epic poems of the Ancient world, most notably of course Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey. Of course it does. Openly, proudly so!

The Aeneid is a
Ahmad Sharabiani
Æneis = Aeneid, Virgil
The Aeneid is a Latin epic poem, written by Virgil between 29 and 19 BC, that tells the legendary story of Aeneas, a Trojan who travelled to Italy, where he became the ancestor of the Romans. The first six of the poem's twelve books tell the story of Aeneas's wanderings from Troy to Italy, and the poem's second half tells of the Trojans' ultimately victorious war upon the Latins, under whose name Aeneas and his Trojan followers are destined to be subsumed.
عنوان: انه اید؛ اث
Meredith Holley
I’m a huge fan of propaganda, but I think I may not be a fan of fan fic. I was going into this with the hope that it would be fun, extreme, Latin propaganda, but The Aeneid is really more Trojan War fan fic, IMO. It’s the Phantom Menace to The Iliad’s Empire Strikes Back. It is seriously lame. I think Akira Kurosawa could have made a pretty decent movie of it because he likes to have people frenzy. There’s a lot of frenzying here. The dudes are all chest pound, blooooood, and the chicks are all ...more
Fernando
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"La fortuna favorece a los valientes."

La Eneida, este poema épico inmortal surgido de la genialidad de Publio Virgilio Marón, es considerado uno de las obras clásicas fundacionales de la literatura universal que lo relaciona directamente con los aedos griegos, especialmente Homero, pero que en como continuación histórica con la guerra de Troya tiene también conexiones con algunas de las tragedias de Esquilo y Sófocles.
Virgilio, este poeta incomparable, comparte dos detalles muy interesantes con
Fergus
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THEY CAN CONQUER WHO BELIEVE THEY CAN -
THEY CAN, BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY CAN!

Now, isn’t that a nifty quick analysis of how faith works? That’s Virgil talking!

Faith in oneself... or Faith in a Higher Being?

Let’s take a closer look...

Virgil left off writing this masterpiece a mere twenty years before the Star appeared over ancient Bethlehem.

And, of course, the Aeneid gave the worldly Romans hope for a brighter future at the same time, when their history was beginning its slow decline into moral c
Libby
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classics scholars, folks who want bragging rights
There are plenty of reviews here telling you why you should or shouldn't read book X. This review of Virgil's "Aeneid," the largely-completed first century BC nationalist epic poem that recounts the Trojan War and Aeneas's role in the eventual founding of Rome, will tell you instead why you should read a copy of "Aeneid" from a university library. Simply put: student annotations.

Nearly every book in a university catalog has been checked out at one time or another by a student reading it as prim
Foad
انه ايد و مختارنامه!

مختارنامه رو ديديد؟ ديديد چقدر جنگ هاش تصنعیه؟ پر از حركات خشك و نمايشى، انگار نه انگار كه اون جا جنگه و دو نفر دارن با خشم و وحشت به قصد كشت تيغ تيز روانه ى سينه و گلوى هم مى كنن. نه وحشتى، نه عرقى، نه به نفس نفس افتادنى، نه تيرى كه توى گوشت گير مى كنه و بيرون نمياد، نه لخته خون كف كرده ى جارى از گلويى...

فكر مى كنم بخشى اين ها به خاطر اينه كه عوامل اثر نه خودشون در جنگى حضور داشتن تا واقعيتش رو ببينن (طبيعتاً) و نه تخيل قدرتمندى داشتن كه بتونن جنون آشوبناك يه جنگ رو پيش خودش
James
Book Review
3 out of 5 stars to The Aeneid, a classic work written in 17 BC by Virgil.

In The Aeneid, Virgil creates two vastly different archetypal heroes named Turnus and Aeneas. Aeneas is a Trojan prince who has hopes of finding a new Troy in the land of Latium, but he runs into an angered Turnus, a Rutulian prince that does not welcome Aeneas. Both men are equally strong, equally determined, and have equal and rightful claim to the land. However, Virgil creates this distinct difference a
Madeline
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"I sing of warfare and a man at war.
From the sea-coast of Troy in early days
He came to Italy by destiny,
To our Lavinian western shore,
A fugitive, this captain, buffeted
Cruelly on land as on the sea
By blows from powers of the air - behind them
Baleful Juno in her sleepless rage.
And cruel losses were his lot in war,
Till he could found a city and bring home
His gods to Latium, land of the Latin race,
The Alban lords, and the high walls of Rome.
Tell me the cause now, O Muse, how galled
In her divine pri
Elise (TheBookishActress)
some funny reviews as to my opinions on this

1) this is filled with purple prose and instalove, complete with a hot sexy bad boy for the main character

2) hello my name is Aeneas Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way. I have long ebony black hair and some people say I look like Aphrodite (AN: if u don’t know who she is get da hell out of here!) I was sailing through the ever-mindful anger of the savage Juno. It was raining so there was no sun, which I was very happy about. A lot of gods stared at me. I put
Charlotte May
Read as part of my A Levels.
Thoroughly enjoyed the first half of The Aeneid (mainly because its the half influenced by The Odyssey and so more mythological and fantastical) less enthralled by the second half (more influenced by The Iliad - with war and politics.)
Will go back for a reread at some point I imagine.
Trevor
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I’ve been meaning to read the Aeneid for years. The Armorial Bearings of the City of Melbourne have the motto: Vires Acquirit Eundo which is taken from book four of the Aeneid. It translates as, “It gathers strength as it goes”. Melbourne’s first judge gave the young town the motto – but I’ve often wondered if those he gave it to had any idea that the reference is to sexual rumours spreading about Dido and Aeneas. Rumour being the swiftest of the Gods.

Anyway, there is a pop star who is called Di
Robert
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Aeneid, it isn't you... it's me!

I tried to like you, Aeneid, I really did. And we had some good times, didn't we? But I have to admit that I think I was still a bit hung up on Iliad, and I was trying to make you something you aren't. That isn't fair to you, and it isn't fair to me.

You've got such nice language in you. Such poetry! I'm sure that someone will come along soon who can appreciate you for what you are. You deserve it. Really. You're a wonderful story; you're just not for me.

I fina

Variants from the Oxford Classical Text
Notes on the Translation
Pronouncing Glossary
Alex
The Romans took over from the Greeks as the dominant Mediterranean power after Alexander of Macedon died in 323 BCE, and then turned into an empire when Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BCE, which is a nice way to say that he staged a military coup and installed himself as dictator. It ran along merrily for 800 years until around 500 AD, when it was finally overrun by a series of people with awesome names like Visigoths and Attila the Hun.

Rome was actually founded even earlier than that, though
Jillian
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mythology
Once upon a 2050ish years ago, there was a Roman chap named Vergil who wrote poetry. And holy crappuccino, could he write poetry. Anyway, his chum Caesar Augustus says to him, "Verg, old pal, old bean! Write me some jolly old propaganda linking us Romans, inferiority complex-afflicted as we are, to the Greeks so we can get on with conquering the world and quit feeling so much like a master race of insecure teenagers, there's an absolutely spiffing chap. Oh, and feel free to completely copycat Ho ...more
João Fernandes
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, war
description

"Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo!"
If I cannot sway the heavens, I will wake the powers of hell"

(Before I actually start reviewing The Aeneid, I'd like to thank Mr. Bernard Knox not only for his very helpful introductions in the Penguin Deluxe Editions of the three big classic epics, but for sharing his heartfelt story as an U.S. Army captain and his encounter with the Sortes Virgilianae of The Aeneid in the last weeks of World War II in Italy.)

Imperator Caesar Divi Filius

The Aenei
Parthiban Sekar
The reason that I picked up this Latin epic book (Yes, what I read did not seem to be a poem, at least to me, but just a splendid translation) is the countless inter-textual references to this mythology book in the books I previously read. And I was not even half-satisfied to find none of them in this translation, in that sense. But, coming to this translation:

"Can there be so much anger in the hearts of the heavenly gods?"

The above line just summarizes the whole story of prophetic wanderings an
Ivana Books Are Magic
When I think of Aeneid, I think of one Summer not too long and one bright fifteen-year-old I taught it to. By that time, I've read Aeneid a number of times and I had a very high opinion about it yet it was that experience of teaching it to somebody that made me see it in a whole new light. I felt like I was reading it for the first time, but still I could remember all those parts that originally moved me the most and it was interesting to observe my emotional reactions to it anew. For clearly, i ...more
Sud666
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
The Aeneid is an epic tale of the journey of Aeneas, survivor of Troy's fall, and his journey to found the Roman peoples. The story is one you should read yourself and like the Greek Illiad and Oddessy (from which Virgil borrows heavily-as any Roman writer would have done at the time- 19 BCE). It is a story full of gods and goddesses, war, lust and anger. One of the great classic stories. It is one everyone should take a moment and read at least once. I highly recommend reading it in the origina ...more
Jill
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok but this was so much better than the Iliad or the Odyssey... Aeneas is the only main hero from an epic I didn't despise with every fiber of my being (except Hector I adored Hector)
Dan Weaver
A gifted poet's account of playing Mario Brothers to level 7.
Expect a lot of "then Aeneas was told he needed to fetch a golden bough. But he could only obtain the bough if he completed such-and-such. So he did. Then he went to the underground world and gave the bough to the boatman, and the boatman therefore let him cross the river..." but with lyric flourish. It's maybe not Mario, but some side-scrolling platformer, definitely.

If I understand correctly, Virgil wrote it by order of Caesar August
Joy
Disclaimer: I rushed/skimmed through this for a Greek Mythology course.

It was interesting to read an epic that centered around Roman history and mythology rather than Greek.

Will probably reread at some point. Recommended for lovers of classics and mythology. 3.25
Nikki
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, greek-roman
I'm not sure if this is the translation I read back when I did Classics at GCSE and A Level. It seems familiar, but of course, the story would be and two different close translations might still be similar. Anyway, with my course on Tragic Love in the Trojan War, I've had the urge to reread The Aeneid all term.

I can't imagine the loss to the world that it would have been if Vergil's wishes had been carried out when it came to the burning of the manuscript. Parts of The Aeneid are just beautiful
Steven Walle
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved this poem. This is argueabely the best poem ever written. This poem was composed by Virgil a poet from 29 BCE. I enjoyed this translation very much. I recommend this book to all.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Nelson Zagalo
Quanto mais Poemas Épicos leio mais me convenço da nossa irrealidade, ou da nossa capacidade para criar, literalmente, a realidade em que vivemos. Estes poemas são a base cultural de toda a sociedade Ocidental, nascidos da oralidade, sobreviventes pelo registo em texto, formadores de grande parte da história antiga que hoje conhecemos, ou da nossa Mitologia. Temos deuses que agem como humanos, e temos humanos que seriam especiais por serem filhos desses deuses, temos espaços e eventos imaginados ...more
poncho
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
The Aeneid continues the story of what happened after the Greeks had taken Troy; it tells the story of Aeneas, a Trojan hero who had lost all hope after witnessing his city and his king devastated by what we know as The Trojan Horse, very well crafted by Ulysses and his people — which reminds me of this part in The Odyssey in which a nymph (I think) tells Ulysses how skilful he is when it comes to deceiving; it tells the story of an exile who after a divine promise of a new nation regains his st ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
When in high school I read the Iliad and Odyssey. After completing them I had to run down Virgil's Aeneid. If you've ever read these books the word pictures of this epic story (Greek myth and then Roman) will I believe be somewhat burned into your mind. I doubt you'll ever have clearer ones. Though written centuries ago the epic tales of mythological gods, goddesses, and heroes will stay with you. For me also the "shift" from Greek characters to Roman (especially in the case of the mythological ...more
Zenki the Hermit
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RECOMMENDED TO:

☐ History junkies
☐ Fans of fan fiction
☐ People who've read Dante's Inferno
☐ People who'd like to witness Virgil rip off The Iliad and Odyssey
☐ Mortals who want to see the Greek/Roman gods being their typical, meddling selves
☐ Masochists who want to read this book rather than watch a YouTube summary
Jane
Having read Broch's The Death of Virgil earlier this year, I felt I should read The Aeneid, especially as I never studied Latin III, where we would have read it in the original. I'm glad I read it now for the first time, as I don't think I would have appreciated its richness, creativity, and psychological insight years ago. The story is quickly told: Aeneas flees Troy after the Trojan War and he and his companions seek a new land to settle, in Italy. Juno opposes them, so they are forced on a lo ...more
Goodreads Librari...: New cover 4 24 Aug 20, 2018 03:00PM
  • Odes and Epodes
  • Metamorphoses
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • The Oresteia: Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers, The Eumenides
  • Jason and the Golden Fleece (The Argonautica)
  • Civil War
  • On Duties
  • Homeric Hymns
  • The Thebaid: Seven Against Thebes
  • The Frogs and Other Plays
Publius Vergilius Maro (October 15, 70 BCE – September 21, 19 BCE), usually called Virgil or Vergil /ˈvɜrdʒəl/ in English, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He is known for three major works of Latin literature, the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid. A number of minor poems, collected in the Appendix Vergiliana, are sometimes attributed to him.

Virgil is trad
Fléctere si néqueo súperos Acheronta movebo - If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell.” 522 likes
“The descent into Hell is easy” 197 likes