Start by marking “Fantastic: The Life of Arnold Schwarzenegger” as Want to Read:
Fantastic: The Life of Arnold Schwarzenegger

Fantastic: The Life of Arnold Schwarzenegger

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
He has been known as the Austrian Oak, Mr. Universe, and the Terminator. Now he answers to "Governor." From humble beginnings in a small Austrian village, Arnold Schwarzenegger pumped himself into the greatest bodybuilder in history, the biggest movie star in the world, and a political force to be reckoned with--all with raw ambition and driving self-confidence. In Fantast ...more
Published May 30th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic

Ice
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: auto-biography
What can one say about the outsized, often outrageous Arnold Schwarzenegger--tank driver, bodybuilding champion, action-movie megastar, and now governor of California--that he has not already boasted about himself? Let me tell you (as Arnold--on a first-name basis with everyone--might say), he is one of the most successful acts in the history of promotion.

However, veteran celebrity biographer Leamer has a lot to say here that Arnold might not necessarily approve of, from his savvy in thriving i
LuAnn Frimmel
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This only take you through 2004 so we miss the scandal with the housekeeper, and the fact that California is bankrupt now. His story is fascinating though. I listened to the audio book and the reader did a great Arnold imitation. This is definitely worth reading.
Robert Taylor
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arnold's story is of a man who is flawed, but has a drive that makes him capable of achieving everything. A winning attitude of from the over achiever of over achievers. Leamer makes the read really easy and chose the exact issues I wanted to focus on.
Gregg Puluka
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Great to hear the whole story. Well written and comprehensive. I am a big Arnold fan and have been following and enjoying all his work since I was a kid.an inspiring tale warts and all.
Jacob McElroy
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is definitely an inspirational story of a man that not everyone likes, but everyone should admire. This is a well-written, fairly in-depth look at the life of a man who accomplished everything he imagined. It is not an entirely positive biography, as the author points out that the only way in which Arnold Schwarzenegger could be considered a self-made man is if you allow for the fact that he has used many helpful people to achieve his goals. However, the author does gloss over much of the m ...more
Andrew Fast
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wanted to give this 3.5 stars and TOTAL RECALL (Arnold's autobiography) a solid 4 stars. This was a good book, very detailed, a little sloppy in transitions/clarity but all in all I really enjoyed it.

I read this side by side with the Autobiography, and the tone and tempo is just much more my style in TOTAL RECALL, so if I'd read this one first perhaps I'd go easier on it. But I finished the autobio first since it was way more entertaining.

I appreciate the way Leamer can be fully unbiased and cri
Austinfromboston
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I Thought that "Fantastic The Life of Arnold Schwarzenegger" was a well written book. It was vastly entertaining while remaining unbiased. As entertaining as the book was it is still a biography. This is not my type book to read on my free time but it was decent enough for even my liking considering I am not big on biographies. As I stated earlier, the book remained unbiased which was a big plus for me. The book focused on Arnolds many goals and accomplishments while still bringing out his dark ...more
Wellington
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book hoping to gain some insight on someone who had realized so many goals and dreams. Arnold wanted to greatest bodybuilder in the world, Hollywood’s biggest star, and then governor. Through each pursuit, he was mocked and ridiculed but we all know how Arnold laughed at the end.

The book really gives us the reader a candid and personal look at Arnold’s upbringing and was refreshingly unbiased. This book awakened me to how much Arnold has risen from Mr. Olympia and Conan … an alm
Yakisobapancake
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool biography. I must say Arnold is a truly inspiring person even if you don't like him as the Governator.
Arnold as a human being is not perfect (even if you think he's a cybernetic organism from the future) and he has his flaws too. This book descrives the real Ahnuld, the man who always wanted to achieve, to conquer, but also a man who sometimes has been too selfish or motivated by greed.
I must add:
GET TO DAH CHOPPAH!!!!
Peter Harrington
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book, like the Title is "Fantastic". Very well written and Arnold's story is a very motivating story. The book takes you from Arnold's teen years when he first started body building all the way to his time as the "Governator" of CA. The bottom line is that I would recommend this book and is a must read if you are a Arnold fan, political fan, or fan of body building and or weight lifting.
Madeleine
Read for APUSH.

I learned a lot about Arnold and the seventies. And the Kennedy family.
I did enjoy it though.
E. T. Brother
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting
Deb
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
I know that Arnold has done amazing things to get from where he came from to where he is, but he didn't do it as a gentleman concerned with others.
Nick
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent biography on a very interesting media personality.
michael grant
May 23, 2014
Mike
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Laurence Leamer is an award winning journalist and historian who has written fifteen books including five New York Times bestsellers. He has worked in a factory in France, a coal mine in West Virginia and as a Peace Corps volunteer in a remote village in Nepal two days from a road. He has written one novel and an off Broadway play but is primarily known for his nonfiction. His new book, The Lynchi ...more
More about Laurence Leamer...