Start by marking “Dr. Bloodmoney or How We Got Along after the Bomb” as Want to Read:
Dr. Bloodmoney or How We Got Along after the Bomb

Dr. Bloodmoney or How We Got Along after the Bomb

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  5,682 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
Seven years after the day of the bombs, Point Reyes was luckier than most places. Its people were reasonably normal -- except for the girl with her twin brother growing inside her, and talking to her. Their barter economy was working. Their resident genius could fix almost anything that broke down But they didn't know they were harbouring the one man who almost everyone le ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 290 pages
Published June 28th 1976 by Ace Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Bloodmoney or How We Got Along after the Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Bloodmoney or How We Got Along after the Bomb

Glenn Russell
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

― Philip K. Dick, Dr. Bloodmoney

If you’ve watched Ex Machina, you know this is a super-slick film of two young men interacting with a beautiful version of AI, a great work of science fiction with such a streamlined, clear-cut, linear, easy-to-follow storyline, at the opposite end of the spectrum from, well, Philip K. Dick. Case in point: PKD’s Dr. Bloodmoney, the C
Lyn
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip K. Dick's Dr. Bloodmoney Or How We Got Along After the Bomb is a post-nuclear apocalyptic dark comedy taking its title from the popular Stanley Kubrick film Dr. Strangelove.

Though the novel is not related to Kubrick’s movie, the action could occur after the end of Dr. Strangelove as the world copes with life after the bombs fell. It is also vaguely reminiscent of Ayn Rand or, murkily, darkly resembling a John Steinbeck work.

Dr. Bloodmoney represents PKD’s best use of eclectic characteri
Stephen
Photobucket

I have absolutely no idea how this book lost its fourth star and ended up as a very strong 3. Ironically, in one respect, this was a breakthrough novel for me because something about PKD’s reality-blurring narrative style of addled consciousness really clicked with me for the first time. Now I loved The Man in the High Castle and thought that A Scanner Darkly was both original and very moving. However, my enjoyment of those works occurred despite his confused/warped non-reality format, not part
mark monday
Dick places his absurdist situations, bleak scenarios, and quirky characters within an almost pastoral post-apocalyptic san francisco-bay area. the setting is primarily a small town in marin, with everyday people slowly trying to rebuild themselves and their world. the writing is typically loose and off-kilter. results are sublime. and very strange, per usual. two oddly endearing yet threatening characters stood out for me amongst the compellingly diverse cast: Hoppy Harrington - cringing, delud ...more
Darwin8u
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
"In a way there are no freaks, no abnormalities, except in the statistical sense. This is an unusual situation, but it’s not something to horrify us, actually it ought to make us happy. Life per se is good, and this is one form which life takes. There’s no special pain here, no cruelty or suffering. In fact there is solicitude and tenderness."

- Philip K Dick in Dr. Bloodmoney

description

What do you call a man with no arms and no legs floating dead (after an atmospheric nuclear accident) in the pool?

Bob.

What
Apatt
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Set in the (then) near future of 1972, this 1963 novel is PKD's take on the post apocalypse subgenre of sci-fi. For my money Dick did it better than anybody else (as he often did). Grim realistic post apocalypse novels like The Road or Earth Abides are all well but they lack that patented PKD weirdness that makes his books so fascinating and entertaining.

There are actually two nuclear apocalypses in this book, the first one was caused by an accident during a nuclear weapon test, millions of peo
Liviu Szoke
Un roman ceva mai atipic de-al lui Philip K. Dick, ale cărui teme precum destrămarea realității sau repercusiunile pe care le poate avea consumul de droguri asupra omului nu se regăsesc aici. În schimb este tratat modul în care-și revin câteva colonii răzlețe de americani în urma unui cataclism atomic. Sumbră, întunecată, dar și cu o rază de speranță în capacitatea omului de-a-și reveni chiar și în urma celor mai înfricoșătoare grozăvii care i se pot întâmpla. Pe cât e de înduioșătoare povestea ...more
Chloe
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
And so I've made it through the second of the Library of America's Five Novels of the 1960s & 70s none the worse for wear. Dr. Bloodmoney is a classic piece of 60s-style nuclear agitprop. While nearly every Philip K. Dick book that I've yet read can readily be classed as dystopian fiction, I think Dr. Bloodmoney is the work of his that comes closest to living up to the classic post-nuclear armageddon scenario envisioned in Earth Abides or A Canticle For Leibowitz. Still, this is Dick, so the ...more
Stuart
It's a non-sequitur to say that this is an odd PKD novel, since all his novels are, but this one strikes me as different from his other books. It features an odd collection of characters trying to rebuild their lives in a post-nuclear attack world in Marin County. There are various mutations in humans and animals alike due to radiation exposure, and civilization has been taken back many decades due to the collapse of industrial society.

Unfortunately, the sense of reality-bending and realization
Jim
I keep hearing how great PKD is, but after 40 years of trying his works intermittently, I'm still not convinced. He's one of the few authors that I think Hollywood helps rather than harms. Nothing about this story was particularly good or compelling. It's post apocalyptic & I can think of half a dozen that did a far better job of it. None of the characters were particularly interesting, the writing was mediocre & my suspension of disbelief was sorely tried at times. The reader was pretty ...more
Simon
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-masterworks, sf
This is probably the weakest PKD book I've read. Not that it was especially bad, it just didn't really work for me on any level.

At no point did I find myself particularly engrossed and enjoying the story. The narrative, fragmented by numerous points of view of the disparate characters whose futures eventually become loosely entwined later on in the novel, and punctuated by random time intervals between chapters, it didn't flow well at all, especially for the first half of the novel.

Here are som
Tova Krakauer
Dr. Bloodmoney features Philip K. Dick's crisp writing, his chilling set of desensitized characters, and Dick's usual dystopia. There is an ocean of details in the book each of which could conceivably be the premise of a book in its own right. And Dr. Bloodmoney ends well - it's beautifully ambiguous, as is the last line of dialogue (which is really Bonny thinking to herself.) It's not a bad book.
The main problem with Dr. Bloodmoney is that it's irredeemably fractured. The book jumps from chara
sj
Originally posted here.

Okay, so.  Trying to write about Dr Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb without spoiling the shit out of it for people who haven't read it is NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE but I'm going to give it my best shot (especially since I know of at least one person reading this that was considering it for their next PKD read).

It's made especially difficult because I have so many highlighted passages that I want to talk about, but without the context of the book, or sufficient ex
Charles Dee Mitchell
Thank God for editors. PKD proposed two titles for this post-nuclear apocalypse novel: In Earth's Diurnal Course and A Terran Odyssey. Donald Wolheim at Ace come up with Dr. Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb. Wolheim's title might have been a flagrant effort to cash in on Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove, but at least it did not include the word "diurnal," and it did give some hint to what the book is about.

This is one of the dozen or so novels PKD wrote in 1963/64, but due to the
The Crimson Fucker
I usually come to decisions during long showers… I run all this scenarios in my head… and eventually end up picking the one that “feels” better for me… I haven’t got time to take long showers lately… anyway the other night when my so call “friend” decided to delete me from his goodreads friend list I was hurt! I mean I was actually hurt! There I am thinking that this guy is just joking around and being funny when he said all those horrible things to me… I was laughing at this guy’s wits thinking ...more
Lucian Bogdan
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi-a plăcut mult. Philip K. Dick rămâne unul dintre autorii mei preferați, iar această frescă a modului în care omenirea a supraviețuit războiului este un exemplu elocvent al talentului său. Păcat că în limba română nu s-a păstrat și subtitlul romanului, cred că s-a pierdut din mesaj cu asta.
Daniel Afloarei
Ma așteptam la ceva mai complex. Asa, ce am primit au fost doar idei.

Restul recenziei aici:
Ghanda
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un roman extrem de deprimant, dar mult mai ancorat în realitate față de majoritatea romanelor lui Phillip K. Dick. Devine și destul de înspăimântător pe final, cumva m-a ajutat să înțeleg mai bine teama pe care o simțeau oamenii normali față de mutanți în universul X-Men.
Per total, nota 10 pentru atmosferă, dar mi-ar fi plăcut ori un număr mai mic de personaje, ori să fie mai bine definite, pentru că mai ales la început mi-a fost greu să țin pasul.
Miloș Dumbraci
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nu chiar best of PK Dick, nici tocmai tipică lui (deși pe alocuri zgâlțâie nițel ”ce-i real?”), dar stranie într-un sens bun și cu niște personaje foarte bine conturate ca individualități. Fiind cam schematică și pe alocuri haotică, tindeam să-i dau 4/5. Dar apoi, out of the blue, când credeam că povestea s-a așezat pe-un făgaș, au venit fazele cu Bill și m-au dat pe spate: surprinzătoare, mind-fucking și grotești. Hell, yeah!
Bună treabă, mr PKD, tare bună!
Mohammed
I dont think this book is among my fav PKD books or that is one of his best written. The storytelling was not as strong as the characters.

What made it good was the regular people cast of characters that he wrote so well,so flawed, so realistic. His take on post apocalyptic was also was very strong,very weird,depressing.

Another weakness is that it felt dated at times which is unsual for PKD.
Roddy Williams
‘1981. A peaceful summer’s morning – until a mad physicist triggers off the bomb…

In the nuclear aftermath strange mutants evolve in a fragmented world. Only Dangerfield, the lost astronaut, endlessly orbiting the earth with a million miles of tape, can see and hear the consequences.

And then one of the mutants decides to destroy the last link with the Old World. ‘

Blurb to the 1997 Arrow edition.

Once more Dick manages to flout the conventions of Science Fiction while exploiting its clichés in an
Erik
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a strange PKD book - i know thats a bit redundant but hear me out, ok?

PKD takes a "conventional" scifi story, the nuclear post apocalypse, and creates a vivid and memorable tale that is unlike anything else in the subgenre. Mutants of all sort, talking dogs, orbiting radio DJ's, and all sorts of psychic shenanigans compose this book - while interspersed with shades of 1960's domestic california life.

Very different than other PKD books - this book doesnt recycle his usual motifs and future t
Gray
‘And then, as he walked, he noticed that all the cross streets to the left leaned, as if the city was sinking on that side, as if gradually it was keeling over.’ (p.55)

Written at the height of the Cold War, Philip K. Dick’s 1965 novel Dr Bloodmoney imagines what might happen if America experienced a nuclear attack. Dick sets it in a (then) future 1981 in which there is a draft for the Cuban War, Russia’s Lunar Colony has failed, and for the first time, a married couple is about to be sent on a c
Cbj
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DR.BLOODMONEY is a seriously disturbing post apocalyptic novel, but also pretty upbeat compared to some of the other Dick novels that I have read. The novel begins with scenes of life after some kind of nuclear war/fallout. Everyone seems to have put the war behind them and seem to be moving on with their daily city life when there are more nuclear explosions (apparently caused by a scientist who was responsible for the first nuclear fallout and now believes the whole world is out to get him).

Bu
Cristian
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Putin cam ciudata la inceput. Totusi te introduce direct in actiune, chiar daca nu te prinzi imediat care a fost punctul de plecare al povestii. Dar nu te plimba 50 de pagini ca sa iti faca introducerea.
La obiect, actiune, idei interesante si ciudate.
De citit.
Scott A. Nicholson
This was just weird, even for PKD standards. Doctor Bluthgeld, a physicist purportedly responsible for some terrible tragedy that aversely effected the world, develops a psychological complex similar to schizophrenia and, fearing that everyone is out to get him, wills a nuclear apocalypse to happen somehow. The story mainly follows the aftermath of this Emergency Day through a handful of characters centering on a little outoftheway suburb. The characters are diverse enough, but never reasonably ...more
Chris
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's not a lot to be said about Dr. Bloodmoney - it's one of those books that made me think, "Hmmm - neat ideas, fun world-building, but not a whole lot actually comes of it." As far as conciseness, it's excellent - there isn't any real fluff or filler, and characters are quite effective (though quite one-dimensional). It's a fun read, for what it is - you just can't expect a lot out of it.
fromcouchtomoon
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the more straightforward of PKD's, without the trippy personal religious tributes. It's a Cold War satire of the post-Cold War, as well as a satire of small town oppression, gossip, and racism and ableism, but probably too heavy-handed to be appreciated today. One of the easier PKDs I've read--I quite enjoyed it--but the datedness made it difficult to stomach at times.
Grazia
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Se una settimana d'estate un viaggiatore...

...non si fosse portato neanche un libro cartaceo in vacanza?
E se il supporto a disposizione di questo viaggiatore risultasse inutilizzabile in spiaggia al sole?
E se l'unica libreria (libreria si fa per dire) nel raggio d'azione del viaggiatore non offrisse niente di papabile al suddetto?
Al viaggiatore non rimarrebbe che "ravanare" tra i libri a disposizione dell'hotel in cui soggiorna, pochi, quasi tutti non in italiano (ci sarà un perché) e scovare q
Badseedgirl
This is my third Philip K. Dick novel. I know he is a Master of the Sci-Fi genre, but I just did not find the two books I read, The Man in the High Castle, and Martian Time-Slip just did not do "it" for me. But with this book, I may just get it. Dr. Bloodmoney was full of odd and interesting characters. There was a twist in who was actually the protagonist and antagonist of the book, and at the end, I'm not really sure there were any true protagonists.

On the negatives, there is a fair amount of
  • The Complete Roderick
  • The Child Garden
  • Juniper Time
  • A Mirror for Observers
  • Of Men and Monsters
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...

“I'm tired and I want to rest; I want to get out of this and go lie down somewhere, off where it's dark and no one speaks. Forever.” 39 likes
“We'll fight back, we'll fight back, we'll fight back," a man near Doctor Stockstill was chanting. Stockstill looked at him in astonishment, wondering who he would fight back against. Things were falling on them; did the man intend to fall back upward into the sky in some sort of revenge?” 9 likes