Start by marking “Where's Waldo?” as Want to Read:
Where's Waldo?

Where's Waldo? (Where's Waldo? #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  5,806 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
The reader follows Waldo and other characters as they travel through various scenes and tries to find them and their lost objects in the illustrations.
Published April 10th 2007 by Turtleback Books (first published September 21st 1987)

Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
I wish Werner Herzog would write a book like this. But this would be hard to top.
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, 2011
I knew the concept of the Where's Waldo books, but until my son got interested in them, I didn't know much about them. Can I just say how addicting they are? Searching for Waldo on every page is a self-challenge that makes you push for your personal best; when you can't find him, you do not give up. You change tactics by taking out your contacts, reaching for your reading glasses, or tossing your glasses aside so you can stick the book as far up to your face as possible. You scan haphazardly at ...more
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists
Where's Wally (Waldo?) has always struck me as a metaphor for... Oh fuck it... How can someone wearing such ridiculous clothing be so hard to find!!! And when you finally do, you can't lose him again, he's just always there, on the page... Invading your darkest thoughts... Hiding in the bushes beind you when you walk home in the dark... And why do people insist on putting a circle around him when they read it in the doctor's surgery!?! THAT DEFEATS THE WHOLE POINT, JERKS!!! Oh dear... I must lie ...more
J.G. Keely
I used to find these books endlessly fascinating as a child, especially the more odd and mystical elements. Of course, what I liked most was the frantic detail. There were entire stories laid out in these pictures, and no doubt they helped me to question how much meaning and action one could put into a single image.

In high school, I made a short series of my own called The Necro Files (ha ha, aren't sixteen year-olds funny?). It would feature a different odd locale (Atlantis, a circus) and then
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the Penguin book down below, many people feel like I either look like Waldo, or worst, I am Waldo. I often take the bus, and I try to avoid bus transportation during school hours - because the kids love to say 'Hey I just found Waldo!" It's get tiresome after awhile.

And on top of that I can never find Waldo in these pictures. I have to ask my neighborhood kid on the block where Waldo is. And you know they usually say ' hey he's right in front of me.' Meaning .... me of course.
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

Very good book. One of my favorite book series as a kid.

I liked this book first time around, but persistent re-reads by my youngest daughter meant that my enjoyment of, and patience with, the book, did not last long.

I found it remarkable that at age 4 she could remember every half-promise or insinuation of a promise ever mad by myself, my wife, her grandparents and her elder sister.... she could also remember every word [parrot-fashion] in every book that we read together.... but do you think she could remember where sodding Wally was?

No...not on yo
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo que me divertía con los libros de Wally no tiene nombre xD
Rod Brown
Banned Book Week 2017. This year I'm reading a few picture books that have been challenged for their content, this one due to its depiction of sideboob in the beach scene.

Alas, the offending breast has been expunged in the edition I have actually read; the woman has been equipped with a securely fastened bikini top by the creator and/or publisher. Once again children have been protected from the scourge of rampaging mammaries.

Having counted Waldo as read, I now wonder does one truly read Waldo?
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where's Waldo is an iconic search and find activity book that has been entertaining people for 30 years. This 30th Special Anniversary Edition would make a great gift for those fans of Waldo or search and finds in general.

My parents shared Where's Waldo with me and I had fun passing it on to my daughter. I had trouble finding Waldo and his friends as usual, but that's what makes it interesting. I loved the post cards that introduced each scene and I enjoyed the letter in the back of the book. It
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Where's Waldo? Was always a favorite book of my when I was a kid :) I remember always checking them out at my elementary library. I always enjoyed the challenge of it and playing it with a friend, to see who could find him first made it even more fun.
The Waldo books actually are about a man's ability to both engage with and disappear into the body politic. In fact, he is grooming himself to be a politician. He selects attire that lets him stick out yet blend in; he goes to the same burger joints when he wants to show off his proletarian diet, gets around to and fro so fast you can barely see 'im as he schmoozes and shakes lots of hands in the crowd. And the guy keeps movin'. Movin' along; a moving target; perfecting those chameleon skills of ...more
Kendra Ellett
When doing a little research on ALA's banned books, surprisingly enough, Where's Waldo came up. This book was number 87 on the banned book's list, around 1993, but I thought it was really interesting that it would even be considered inappropriate. After doing a little research, I found that earlier versions of Where's Waldo featured a topless sunbather on one of the pages, and there were complaints made. This reemphasized the point in the Censorship PowerPoint that really any book can be challen ...more
There have always been fads in books for children, pop culture tie-ins and gimmicks to increase a book's appeal. This is one I still enjoy. Handford was the first and continues to be the best, but even the rip-offs of his style are pleasing. It's fun to sit and look at the vast pictures, rich in detail and humor, searching out something which isn't hidden, exactly, but can be very hard to find.

The younger child in particular was a huge fan of these. Of course, they're a gateway drug. She moved u
Sofie Brånedal
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little to much for me... Although it most be very fun to read this with your kids. The kids will probably love it.
May 07, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-spy
Sergio Schiller thompson-flores
The question that changed my life and will never leave my dreams and my waking hours.
Nov 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day, Waldo should wear something different and really fuck everyone up.
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A classic! How could you not love trying to find Waldo?
Al Smith
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting. Basically, the plot is that Waldo is missing and it's up to me to find him.
Brianna Walton
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book... Waldo wasn't always easy to find. Where's Waldo was a book where Waldo is hidden on every page and you have to find him. Waldo is on every page he just isn't the easiest person to find, but there are funny pictures on each page.
This book will keep children entertained and looking for Waldo, as well as give children new ideas for hiding and seeking. This book kept me entertained so it should keep a child entertained. This book has some interesting sites that are visited, but
Heather Lei
We used the deluxe edition.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Pj Anderer
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't underestimate the impact this book had when it first came out.
This was a lot easier as an adult then I remember as a child. Still a classic though.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introduced the boy to a childhood favorite of mine this weekend. Hours of fun already!!! He’s hooked!
Patricia Kaniasty
Excellent entertainment for kids.
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, comics
Estos libros son adictivos. De pequeño podía estar horas buscando a Wally. Literalmente.
John Yelverton
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most fun and enjoyable books that you can have as a child, and the attention to detail in the artwork is incredible.
Enjoyed this as a child.
Where's Waldo type of book 1 1 Dec 16, 2016 12:59PM
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
  • I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Magic Eye 1: A New Way of Looking at the World (Magic Eye, #1)
Martin Handford, the man behind the mind-boggling Waldo books, began his career as a freelance illustrator specializing in drawing crowd scenes. The turning point came when he was asked to create a book showcasing his impressive talent, and the character Waldo was born — originally to provide a link between each scene. "I can’t tell you how pleased I am that Waldo has taken on a life of his own," ...more
More about Martin Handford...

Where's Waldo? (9 books)