Start by marking “The Overcoming Life” as Want to Read:
The Overcoming Life

The Overcoming Life

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The Overcoming Life is quintessential D.L. Moody. Its blunt edge drives hard at the ways in which Christians are overcome in this life and gives ample assistance as to how we might begin to live a life that overcomes in Christ.
Published May 1st 2010 by Moody Publishers (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Overcoming Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overcoming Life

Jason Lilly
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
I received this excellent book as a Goodreads First-Reads giveaway!

If you're tired of contemporary messages that are watered down by culture and feel-good "self-help" inspiration and contain very little Gospel, you must read some D.L. Moody. This is the way preachers used to get it done, when the message was about bringing people to Jesus and "inspiring" them to follow Him in obedience and in love.

I deeply appreciate D.L. Moody's simple, but convicting way of delivering the Gospel. Reading his w
Jill Holler
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such practical wisdom. I loved this book; it made me want to live more obediently to Christ.
Lance Towers
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Reminiscent of words from the apostle Paul, Moody says, "Life is a battle all the time. So, let us give no uncertain sound." What a refreshing motif today when many want to claim a no-effort kind of faith! I am grateful for the wisdom of this spiritual father from the 1800's.
Nicholas Seders
Pastoral and Practical
The first four chapters really resonated with me. Honestly - just excellent stuff! I did begin to feel lost when he turned to Noah's Ark; I felt as though he veered from the point, and never really found his way back. That's not to say the second half of the book wasn't practical! I just didn't find the thoughts to be as clearly organized as they could have been.
Another thing worth mentioning is the style. The book reads as a sermon sounds, in structure and in content. It's
Skjam!
Disclaimer: I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway on the premise that I would review it.

Dwight Lyman Moody (1837-1899) was one of the great evangelists of the Nineteenth Century. Although of limited education himself, he strongly supported higher learning and founded the Chicago Bible Institute (renamed after him after his death). He was a big believer in missionary work as well and sent many people to China to spread the good word.

This book was originally published in 1896, towards the e
Kayce
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve wanted to read D.L. Moody’s writings for a while. I’ve heard Moody quoted in sermons for years and it’s always something interesting that makes me pause and think. It’s no surprise to me that once finishing this book my first thought was “D.L. Moody is a very quotable author.” Gee, I wonder where that thought come from…

The Overcoming Life is an excellent guide for those seeking to follow Scriptural instructions in living their lives for the glory of Christ and for their own peace among othe
Aaron Kleinheksel
This was my first chance to actually read something of D.L. Moody. Moody was not a seminary-trained theologian, but he knew his Bible and spent a very substantial part of his time studying it - and it comes through in his writing style, which is very accessible to the average Christian. From everything I know about D.L. Moody, that is exactly how he would have it. I would in fact wager few "credentialed" theologians could surpass Moody in depth of understanding regarding God's Word.

The book is c
Andrew
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is rooted in the Bible. Moody explains principles for everyday living that are imperative for the Christian life. The chapters are short and straightforward. When explaining a certain part of the Bible, he frequently paraphrases other parts of the Bible, which is the mark of a good pastor or author.

There was one place where I didn't agree with him. In the last chapter, he takes Jesus' statement of being willing to make the leper clean as a general rule and applies it to health. "Now,
Claudia
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through a first reads giveaway.

The Overcoming Life by D.L. Moody is a collection of some of D.L. Moody's sermons. This collection is geared toward exactly what the title says, overcoming. Moody begins by telling us of the warfare a Christian faces, and how we can overcome it with God's help. Then he continues to speak of the one true Victor (Jesus Christ), and that with His power we can overcome.
Moody speaks of many other aids in having the overcoming life, such as wisdom,
Pam
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as the First Reads selection. It's part of the Moody Classics series. It's a small book and perfect for devotional reading. I've always admired Dwight Moody and knew many who attended Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. When I saw this book offered, I realized I only knew the history, not the man. Through his sermons, I clearly saw his deep faith and sacrificial lifestyle that encouraged others to put God first in their lives and to live the "overcoming life" that's centered o ...more
Angela
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-books
Another interpretation of the bible seen through the eyes of a man who has lived a poor early adulthood. A lot of the content is just direct quotes from the bible with some commentary or whatever meaning the author took from it in everyday situations
Being an atheist I skimmed through most of this book to read big chunks of exerpts. Maybe if you are religious and looking for everyday meaning in scriptures, and understanding your feelings better (In a christian perspective only) then it might be o
Molly Gunter
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I wasn't exactly excited to start reading this, and I did take my time to get through it. I don't usually like to read things that resemble self-help books, and I don't like to preached at.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that this book did not have that preachy feeling and that the advice inside the book was solid. It calls people (even Christians) out on all bad behaviors, including intolerance. In short, I loved it and the message it contained. I will be recommending to my churc
Paul
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a fresh reminder of the simple task placed before the body of Christ to be a trustworthy herald of Good News.

D.L. Moody writes from the mid 1800's as though he were writing of the post-modern church of today. A timely word for right now. If you have never read anything from D.L. Moody you may be in for a surprise.

Powerful biblical insight and an inside look at a man used of God to awaken his generation.
Nadine Brandes
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, but very applicable advice all through this book. I appreciated how Moody used scripture to back up his points. I'm interested to explore more of his writings and get a bit deeper into this theology. As I understand it, this is one of his earlier writings. I think I'd enjoy the later more developed ones more.

A lot of good quotes in this one!
This is my first time to read D.L. Moody. There were parts of the book that I loved and from which I benefitted, but I would not put him on my list of favorite Christian authors. I do plan to read other writings of his to confirm my first impressions.
Diana
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DL Moody is very profound in all his books, but the thing that stuck out the most and has haunted me, is that our pastor preached a message about there is no I in Team, but DL Moody states if you will notice that there is an I in SIN.
Charlene
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianreads
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I really wish that I would have read this book when I first accepted Christ. It's simplicity in referring one back to God is wonderful. It really details the need for Christ to overcome everything in our life. 5 STARS!!!
Vaughn
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! "If we have got Christ within us, we will overthrow them all."
Ed
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book on salvation and witnessing. Many illustrations of people being saved. Seven chapters and each chapter is almost like a sermon in itself. A very useful tool for new Christians.
Cary
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Moody was such a straightforward preacher.
Carrie
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME
George
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for those that are in ministry...which is every one of us that proclaim Jesus, as Lord and Savior!
Thomas Noreen
  • The Fisherman's Wife: The Gospel According to St. Peter's Spouse
  • Tell Me a Story: Finding God (and Ourselves) Through Narrative
  • Old Testament Theology: Reading the Hebrew Bible as Christian Scripture
  • The True Vine
  • To Raise Up a Nation: John Brown, Frederick Douglass, and the Making of a Free Country
  • The Duke and the Decoy
  • The Psalms: Language for All Seasons of the Soul
  • Spirit Nudges: Proof That Spirit Is Never Far Away
  • The Blood That Cries in the Ground
  • The First Christmas Carol
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • Carol of the Tales and Other Nightly Noels: An Advent Anthology (Advent Anthologies, Volume 2)
  • The Disciplined Life: The Mark of Christian Maturity
  • The Sacred Ego: Making Peace with Ourselves and Our World
  • The Unofficial Girls Guide to New York: Inside the Cafes, Clubs, and Neighborhoods of HBO's Girls
  • The Six Archetypes of Love: From Innocent to Magician
  • Swedenborg's Daughter: Memoirs of a Mystic
  • The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate (Time Hunters, #3)
Dwight Lyman Moody was a predominant evangelist, author, and publisher. Raised on a farm in Massachusetts, he moved first to Boston, where he converted to evangelical Christianity in 1856, and then to Chicago, where he prospered in business. He gave up business in 1860 and engaged in missionary work with the YMCA (186173).

He founded Moody Church and preached in the slums, emphasizing literal inte
More about Dwight L. Moody...

“To fear is to have more faith in your antagonist than in Christ.” 22 likes