Start by marking “More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)” as Want to Read:
More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)

More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Based on a real-life character, More Joy in Heaven is a gripping account of the tragic plight of young Kip Caley, a notorious bank-robber released early from prison and feted by society as a returning prodigal son.

Earnest, optimistic, and fired by reformist zeal, Kip eventually comes to realize that the welcome of his supporters is superficial and that their charity is dri
Mass Market Paperback, 200 pages
Published July 1st 1992 by New Canadian Library (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about More Joy in Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Joy in Heaven

1.1
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Callaghan is consistently a surprisingly good writer. I still have a bit of a prejudice against him for the fact he was writing Canlit in the '30s, because I assume that it'll be boring, moralistic, or stodgy in some other way. Never am I right in asserting that, and my initial misgivings turn into pleasure as I find myself enjoying the book. Such Is My Beloved, for instance, I was wary of... it redeemed itself. This book is at least twice as good.

And it's not like I hate the 1930's - some of my
Falina
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this book, especially the ending, but it was so overwhelmingly negative that it left a bad taste in my mouth. The only one who is cheerful, optimistic, and self-confident is the tragic victim of the story.

Why are so many classics about what a dark place the world is and how flawed people are? It's the reason I have a hard time liking "good" books and gravitate towards mysteries, romance, and fantasy. Why do "realistic" novels have to be so damned depressing?

"In the even, timeless flow t
Christopher Langer
While a bit dry in a very Canadian way (think Roberston Davies), Callaghan carries much more emotion in this thematically deep book. While the tragic ending is known to the reader from the get-go, the final pages are a hard emotional journey that questions society's notions of justice, charity, and humanity.
Paula Dembeck
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel, published in the mid 1930s, is considered to be one of Callaghan’s best. He tells an interesting story based on the experience of a real life criminal and through the story leads the reader to consider some important questions about individual freedom as well as societal questions of parole reform.

The novel was inspired by Norman Ryan, a man who committed a number of robberies in Quebec, Ontario and the United States. While in prison he underwent a transformation with the help of a p
Hannah Law
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-reads
More Joy in Heaven was not a read I picked out for myself. Thank you public school.

The first time reading More Joy in Heaven, I found it very hard to become immersed in Kip Caley's story as a parolee newly released from prison. To me, the plot seemed lethargic and slow, the characters nonrelational, and even Kip's ultimate failure failed to touch me. However, on the second time around, I began to appreciate Morley Callaghan's deceptively simple tale.

More Joy in Heaven centres around a seemingly
Brad
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was great. Morley Callaghan is 2/2 with me. I'd read Such Is My Beloved a few years ago and it was my favorite for a period of time. Like that book, More Joy In Heaven deals with faith - faith in oneself, faith placed in one by the community, and faith the faith one has in others. Interesting ideas on violence as well. Well paced, and full of fleshed out seedy characters. An excellent book. Morley Callaghan is the best. He knocked out Hemingway.
David Lemons
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this book based on critics' reviews, which usually works. Because he was allowed to hang around Hemingway in Paris and imitated his style, I thought I would discover and enjoyable talent--the emphasis here being on "enjoyable". I even made it a point of buying it in Canada where Morley hails from and writes about. I suggest reading all of Hemingway before bothering with Callaghan.
Ibis3
Fuck. I just lost the page long review I just gave this book. Hit save and it just hung there forever. My own fault. ALWAYS MAKE A COPY BEFORE YOU TRY SUBMITTING A REVIEW. I'm too upset to try recreating it right now. Fuck.
Frank
Jan 24, 2016 added it
Re-read after many years. It stands up because of Callaghan's insight and charity. A common story told with compassion and an ear for everyday speech.
Alexis
May 03, 2010 added it
Shelves: 2010
Read for Roughing it in the books.

Whiskeyb
Jun 23, 2007 rated it liked it
I liked it okay but the main character was kind of predictable or unbelieveable or something.
Moira Lilith
Jan 01, 2016
Sylvie4975hotmail.Com
Sep 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Wild Geese (New Canadian Library)
  • Rue Deschambault
  • As for Me and My House
  • In a Glass House
  • In Another Place, Not Here
  • Cabbagetown
  • Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #7)
  • A Mixture of Frailties (Salterton Trilogy, #3)
  • The Studhorse Man
Edward Morley Callaghan (February 22 1903 -- August 25 1990) was a Canadian novelist, short story writer, playwright, television and radio personality.
Of Irish parentage, Callaghan was born and raised in Toronto. He was educated at Riverdale Collegiate Institute, the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall Law School, though he never practised law. During the 1920s he worked at the Toronto Daily S
More about Morley Callaghan...