Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India

(The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Titan Books #13)

Holmes and Watson find themselves caught up in a complex chess board of a problem, involving a clandestine love affair and the disappearance of a priceless sapphire.

Professor James Moriarty is back to tease and torment, leading the duo on a chase through the dark and dangerous back streets of London and beyond.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s timeless creation returns in a new s
Published August 2nd 2011 by Titan Books (first published January 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Start your review of The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
F.R.
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book couldn’t be any more pedestrian if it was crossing The Strand in comfortable shoes whilst carrying shopping bags. To say the prose is prosaic is almost a compliment. There is nothing at all exciting about the prose, in fact it doesn’t even aim for excitement – its base level is ‘mundane’ and it hits it with painful persistence right the way through. But most disappointing is how simple it all is. You don’t need to be a genius consulting detective to recognise the bad guys here; I - sim ...more
Bernard A.
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am not a Sherlockian or a Holmesian, having read the entire canon only once and a long time ago. That said, this is one great tale. It has all the elements of a Doyle story: deduction; the neurotic detective--who actually becomes introspective for once--the stalwart, if slightly dim, sidekick/biographer; the evil genius; the femme fatal; the Gordian knot of a problem; and the fate of the British Empire in the balance.

The plot moves quickly, and Bugge` fills the pages with great details of 19th
Kieran McAndrew
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A seemingly chance encounter with a young woman in the Royal Albert Hall leads Holmes into a desperate battle of wits with his nemesis, Professor Moriarty.

In the main, a well written novel which engages the reader and remains faithful to the spirit of Sherlock Holmes.
Oh, Darling
Nov 02, 2022 rated it really liked it
3,5*
Erin Britton
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
October, 1894. Nothing of interest is stalking the streets of London and Sherlock Holmes is plagued by ennui so Doctor Watson, having noticed his friend ominously eyeballing his cocaine stash, suggests an evening jaunt to a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. Unfortunately for Watson, his enjoyment of the Saint-Saens third violin concerto is hampered by the exotically pungent perfume worn by the young lady seated in front of him. While Watson battles his allergies, Sherlock Holmes spots that there ...more
Nancy Oakes
Once again, Sherlock Holmes has sunk into a deep ennui. Evidently there is no crime in England at this time, or at least, none which appeals to his crime-solving genius. Home alone, with Mrs. Hudson visiting her sister in Cornwall, the novel opens with a visit from Dr. John Watson, with an invitation to attend a musical concert. Et voila! A mystery begins as Holmes and Watson take their seats. It seems that a young lady with a very distinct perfume captures their attention (in fact, Watson is al ...more
Andrea
I hate myself a little after reading this book, because over the past year or so I’ve checked it out on 3 or 4 separate occasions, and just now got around to reading it.

And it was amazing—everything I love about a Sherlock Holmes story. A solid mystery, brimming suspense, a gripping showdown with arch-nemesis Moriarty, and of course the oh so glorious bromance (!).

I loved everything about this pastiche, and hate that I put it off for so long.
Sue
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sherlock and Watson face a problem involving Myrcroft and British empire, an old enemy who reappeared, a beautiful woman with a outstanding gem, and a chess game. The writing is crisp and fun and the story flows nicely. There is more analysis of Holmes and his personal idosyncracies in this one. Should be rated 3.5 but I really love SH.
James
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/10
Rog Harrison
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
A really silly plot but quite readable.
Jools
Aug 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, John and Sherlock's relationship it's the everything to me. I could become obsessed :) ...more
Fraser Merricks
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Moriarty is Back! Despite it mentioning the Napoleon of crimes return this adventures fails to disappoint. clever plots and twists make this really enjoyable.
Jane
May 05, 2022 rated it liked it
This was one of the better entries in the series. I enjoyed it.
Mike
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adequate, unremarkable imitation of a Sherlock Holmes novel. It's a decent effort - a nice inoffensive story that serves to pass the time - but the end result isn't up to the standards set by the original works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

This is the first Sherlock Holmes novel I've ever read where I was able to figure out the majority of the mystery long before Holmes did. I'd like to think it's because I am so much wiser as I enter into middle age than I ever was as a bright eyed youth devou
Read1000books
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Attention, Sherlockians: Don't miss this one! I have read many SH pastiches and this is one of the best. The "voices" of the main characters(except for a bit of profanity by Watson and one instance of Holmes asking a question of Lestrade he should and could have deduced the answer to)are excellent. Throw in extra time with Mrs. Hudson, Inspector Lestrade, that certain villain (?!) and the entertaining plot and you've got a winner here. ...more
M.G.
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holmes story

While not as good as another Holmes book of hers I read previously, it is still an enjoyable Holmes and Watson story. I did not like part where Holmes is telling all his feelings to Watson. I don't think this is how Sherlock Holmes sees himself. I can overlook all the references to reforms that should be made even though they seem to stand out as obviously added by the author.
Jo
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2011, pub-1997
I picked this book up thinking it was an original Arthur Conan Doyle. Alas, it is part of a new set of books with new Sherlock adventures in them.

I almost immediately realised my mistake as the writing style was all wrong, the characters see through and the plot was just plain awful.

I guess if you're desperate for a new Sherlock Holmes fix, then try this book, otherwise just stick to the old classics.
Billie
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm really into Sherlock and all its various TV iterations including Elementary.

So it only seemed natural to explore some current Sherlockian tales.

This one had everything going for it including people pretending to be someone else, including Sherlock as usual. A rare gemstone with global impacts. Watson as usual.

And a big twist at the end.

Recommended
Michael Brown
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: series-reading
Part of the new adventures series. We have here the return of Moriarty to vex the recently returned Holmes. A good story and for the most part a good series by well known and some not so well known authors.
Fred Hughes
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Another great story in the Sherlock canon.

Full review to follow
Missmath144
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sherlock Holmes is out of copyright, so Carole Bugge is continuing with the Holmes/Watson stories. I liked this first one.
James
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had mixed feelings, but i'd say three and a half stars. ...more
Yannick
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Calvin Daniels
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
Loved the look into Holmes' self vision in this book.

A great tale to be sure.
David Sloan
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Awful not a patch on Sir Arthur's books. Should have left well alone! ...more
John
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
This was a very entertaining book and one of the better Holmes' adaptations I have read. ...more
Resi
Dec 28, 2012
DJ NAE-NAE
Mar 12, 2015
Carol
Sep 18, 2022

• The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • What Child is This? (Sherlock Holmes Adventure #5)
  • The Devil’s Due (Sherlock Holmes Adventure #3)
  • Unquiet Spirits: Whisky, Ghosts, Murder (Sherlock Holmes Adventure #2)
  • The Heartbreak Rule
  • The Three Locks (Sherlock Holmes Adventure #4)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Carbolic Smoke Ball Tragedy: And Other Stories (Sherlock Holmes Singular Tales)
  • An Impossible Impostor (Veronica Speedwell, #7)
  • British Detective Mysteries: Sherlock Holmes British Detective Series (British Mysteries On Kindle Unlimited Book 2)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
  • The Christie Affair
  • The Scorpion's Tail (Nora Kelly, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Volume 17
  • You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey: Crazy Stories about Racism
  • When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)
  • Angel Fire (Lydia Strong, #1)
  • Winter Turning (Wings of Fire, #7)
  • The Brightest Night (Wings of Fire, #5)

C.E. Lawrence aka Carole Bugge' is the byline of a New York-based suspense writer, performer, composer and prize-winning playwright and poet whose previous books have been praised as "lively. . ." (Publishers Weekly); "constantly absorbing. . ." (starred Kirkus Review); and "superbly crafted prose" (Boston Herald). Silent Screams, Silent Victim, Silent Kills, and recently released Silent Slaughter

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Titan Books (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The War of the Worlds
  • The Giant Rat of Sumatra (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Angel of the Opera