Start by marking “My Financial Career and Other Follies” as Want to Read:
My Financial Career and Other Follies

My Financial Career and Other Follies

This original NCL collection brings together Leacock’s comic masterpieces, the many varieties of his remarkable humour. In one story a young man is seized by fear as he attempts to open his first bank account. In another, Lord Ronald, the beloved of Gertrude the Governess, “flung himself upon his horse and rode madly off in all directions.” In a third, the Mariposa Belle s ...more
Published April 1st 1993 by New Canadian Library

To ask other readers questions about My Financial Career and Other Follies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Financial Career and Other Follies

Gordon
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian, fiction
A mixed bag... Gertrude the Governess had me laughing out loud, while My Financial Career and The Awful Fate of Melpominus Jones were quite good, but on the whole the rest of the stories left me flat - I'm not sure whether that's because they are dated or repetitive. On the other hand, the essays on humour at the end were, in places, surprisingly moving:

"But the deep background that lies behind and beyond what we call humor is revealed only to the few who, by instinct or by effort, have given t
Ivan Velickovic
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
1. Rather than reading yet another novel I decided to make a change and do one of my written responses on a short story. I found "My Financial Career" by simply clicking on a website that had hundreds of links to short stories and basically picked one of them at random.
2. His name is never revealed in the story so I would have to say my favourite character in this short story would have to be the main character. I really enjoyed this character as he/she is very funny and is a bit of an idiot and
KimStitch
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, messed
My Financial Career is one of the sweetest, truest stories Leacock has ever written. Who, going to the bank with a rather large sum of money to deal with, has not been rattled by the clerks, the wickets, the whole experience? That is the beauty of Leacock in this day and age; he may be writing about lodging houses, the difficulty of staying fit and the state of the rich in the twenties, it is still hilarious and still resonates in today's society.
Kristine Morris
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
Every time I read Stephen Leacock I cannot believe that he was born in 1869 - some of the stories in this volume were written at the end of the 19th century. His writing seems so contemporary. My favourites in this collection include "How we kept Mother's Day", "My Revelations as a Spy" and "The Love Story of Mr. Peter Spillikins".

Here's a piece of trivia I did not know: In 1900 Leacock married Beatrix Hamilton, niece of Sir Henry Pellatt.

Ibis3
Another collection of Leacock shorts. Humorous as usual. Interesting essay at the end about the grace of humour in a godless world.
Faizan
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
not that funny..
but ya.. humorous..
Dianne
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, classic
Stephen Leacock was brilliant. Were he alive today he might be a writer on SNL. Then again he might choose to continue to march to his own drummer. The world needs more Stephen Leacocks.
Andrew Harris
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this series of short stories which were entertaining and humorous. I will be seeking more Leacock books in the future.
Aug 27, 2016
Big_bill
Feb 09, 2016
Eva
Aug 11, 2012
Nadia
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2015
Jul 15, 2016
Donald
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephen P. H. Butler Leacock, FRSC, was a Canadian teacher, political scientist, writer, and humorist. Between the years 1915 and 1925, he was the best-known English-speaking humorist in the world. He is known for his light humour along with criticisms of people's follies. The Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal for Humour was named in his honour.

Wikipedia article.