Start by marking “The Aliens” as Want to Read:
The Aliens

The Aliens

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  299 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Professional slackers and best friends KJ and Jasper spend their days talking music and Bukowski outside the back of a small coffee shop in Vermont. Seventeen-year-old Evan is eking out his summer working at the caf�. When he meets the two young men he is irresistibly drawn to their world of magic mushrooms, philosophical musings and great-bands-that never-were.

One of the
Published September 16th 2010 by Faber Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Aliens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aliens

Ian Hrabe
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful and devastating piece of literature from Annie Baker. This one lends some poetry to the world's burnouts and the writing is just...it's just so so so so so goddamn good. Every one of her plays I've read, the dialogue just puts you RIGHT THERE. The plays are quiet and they are built on myriad silences (I believe this one has a note that says if the play isn't half silences and pauses, you're doing it wrong), but they are impossible to put down and unforgettable.
Munro
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Holy crap but this was amazing. I read the entire book in one sitting while sitting outside on a little bench overlooking the water, and let me tell you: it was an experience. There is just so much one can do with this play. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much, but it was great!
Shannon McGovern
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
UGH TEAR ME UP INSIDE
Aaron
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: play-a-week
Interesting setting. Back alley behind a coffee shop, a fenced in area where only employees are supposed to come. Mainly features two, sort of, losers. Late twenties, early thirties. Messed up kids. I think you would call it a Language Play because it's got all its pauses very much built in. It's got a whole thing about the intentional use of what might be considered a gratuitous amount of silence. I'm not sure what this silence could be doing. But it must be doing something. In my read of it, i ...more
Frank Hering
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
More recently, Annie Baker is the Pulitzer Prize winning writer of The Flick. You can get a copy of The Aliens, much more economically, in Annie Baker's collection The Vermont Plays. And you can see a fabulous production of it at Yale on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXKW...
The play opens with K.J., a bearded man in his late 30s, sitting in back of a coffee shop, drinking his signature 'shroom tea. He is joined by his more literary bearded friend, who is a budding novelist, and then
Maria
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
The writing was captivation. Annie Baker makes frequent and striking use of silence, adding this note at the top of the play:
"At least a third of this play is silence. Pauses should be at leas three seconds long. Silences should last from 5 to 10 seconds. Long pauses and long silences should, of course, be even longer"
In an interview with her she says that she wanted to write a naturalistic play that she would want to see and I think she did really well on that front. The three characters are un
Matthew
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe some of this was lost on me, because I thought what Jasper read of his novel was awful. Was I supposed to like it?

Still, I see the redeeming features: the quirks and subtle depths of character, the natural lope of the dialogue. Hopefully this will grow on me in time to come, since I'll be working on it in this semester's directing class.
Cary S
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
There was something (almost bizarrely) beautiful about this play. I can't exactly put my finger on it (I'm not sure I want to). Considering how short it was, the characters erupted off of the page. Fantastic!
David Laurin
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to David by: Jean-Simon Traversy
Beau mélange d'humour, d'intelligence, et de profondeur. Trois personnages. 31 ans, 30 ans, et 17 ans. Parfait pour une salle intime. Construction intéressante. Beaucoup de silence, mais peu de longueurs. Auteure américaine à surveiller.
Steven
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
An odd but likable little play, filled with silence and eccentric characters.
  • Becky Shaw
  • The Motherfucker With the Hat
  • Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
  • The Kentucky Cycle
  • Fefu and Her Friends
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • Jerusalem
  • Time Stands Still
Baker grew up in Amherst, Mass., and graduated from the Department of Dramatic Writing at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. She earned her MFA from Brooklyn College.

Her play Body Awareness was staged off-Broadway by the Atlantic Theater Company in May and June 2008. The play featured JoBeth Williams and was nominated for a Drama Desk Award and an Outer Critics Circle Award. Circle Mi
More about Annie Baker...