Start by marking “One Night” as Want to Read:
One Night

One Night

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,446 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
“Debbie Macomber’s name on a book is a guarantee of warm-hearted, endearing romance.”

—Jayne Ann Krentz

A Debbie Macomber classic, One Night is a funny, warm, truly unforgettable story of two mismatched people—rival workaholic radio broadcasters—who discover there’s much more to life than air time. Fans of the #1 New York Times best selling author will fall in love with thi
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 1st 1994)

Lindsay
This book was pretty horrible. Clearly it's predictable in the sense that you know that Carrie and Kyle are going to fall in love even though they hate each other. But it seemed like there wasn't much of a thought out storyline. Like she just made up stuff as she went. Now, I'm not a professional writer, but I always thought that you had to have some ideas as to what you wanted to put in the story. Usually her books are like that. This one wasn't. The only resoniable character in the book was Ky ...more
Maria
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish

One Night by Debbie Macomber
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I regret opening this one up. I did not finish this. Nope. I couldn't force myself to finish no matter how hard I tried to convince myself it would get better.

I give this 1 star and 4 mehs because I had to give it something.

Did I say I regret opening this?

I really do. I don't know how far I got but I found myself rolling my eyes, skimming the pages for key words, and wondering WTF?

And, let me tell you, I never skim WHOLE pages. Nope not really.
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Why I Read this Book: I had only read one other book by this author, Hannah's List , and I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the developing love story. It was a heart felt read and I knew I wanted to read more by this author.

What I Liked: One Night was a fun and humorous read. I love reading romance novels where the romance starts of with tension between the hero and heroine. There was definitely some thick tension between Carrie and Kyle. They’re constantly bumping heads and just c
Cindi
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I love Debbie Macomber and happy endings
Patt
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story of Carrie Jamison and Kyle Harris, who work for radio station KUTE. They can't stand each other and then they are sent to a convention. They decide to drive together, and Carrie insists they take the scenic route. This leads to an encounter with an FBI most wanted felon. Complications after complications ensue, and , in the midst of the chaos, an unlikely romance develops. This is one Debbie Macomber's early books and I'm so glad I found it.
Anne Holly
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
Amusing enough for the most part, and I am generally a Macomber fan, but a bit lacking in realism. The relationship is okay, for a romance, but the whole story is hinged on some pretty impossible coincidences, and I remain horrified at stories requiring grown adults to forget there is such a thing as reproductive consequences simply because they get wrapped up in "The Moment". These two had no excuse for their silliness, so I kind of stopped following them after that.
Pattie Babbitt
I think I read this one before but I couldn't remember. It was cute, but nothing awesome.
Jaime Scarfuto
it was cute!
Margaret Prentice
Ok, but a little boring. Nothing else to read? It will suffice
Melissa Mitchell
Dec 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So. Wow. That happened.
This is the first Debbie Macomber book I've disliked. And I didn't so much dislike it as really, really, really wonder WTF? I agree with the reviewer who said it felt like she made stuff up as she went along {As in, I'm not sure that she knew more than that the two would of course marry at the end. All of the 'adventure' part of the book just seemed so bizarre, so un-planned and it kind of jerked from one 'crisis' to another with little thought}.

I'm not sure what the prob
Michele
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love is on the air

Morning deejay Carrie Jamison spouts the quirky
brand of comedy Kansas City loves to wake up to.
She's skyrocketing in the ratings, and her quick
wit has won her the admiration of everyone at
KUTE radio -- except Kyle Harris. A serious,
no frills newscaster, Kyle disapproved of Carrie's
antics, and isn't afraid to broadcast his feelings
to her or anyone else. When the tension between
them approaches a meltdown, the station
manager delivers a shocking ultimatum:
Carrie and Kyle must m
Leslie Whaley
Dec 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**Possible spoilers**
Ok so I don't live in KS or TX but the way the 2 main characters were acting, it was like we were back in the days where a woman had to get married if she got pregnant or else be disgraced for the rest of her days. Is that how people act in those areas??? That was seriously annoying. And the ultimatum from Kyle "either we get married or we can't be together." Really?!?! No, just no. I can even get past the falling-in-love-in-3-days part, but the whole marriage thing killed i
Ellanah
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can I just say how bad this book is for me? The writings were okay, nothing too deep. It was a light read. But how it was presented was way too bad for me. It was predictable and I was hoping despite that there will still be a bit of surprise or something impressive.

The transition between the characters, the change of hearts, wasn't impressive. It was like way too sudden, tho predicted. Like I think I missed a chapter or so. Because one second, they were at each others nerves the next thing they
Jan Mcleod
Carrie and Kyle are radio personalities and can't stand one another. Because of their constant arguing, the station manager, Clyde, threatens to fire both of them. Carrie a d Kyle talk Clyde into letting them go to the Broadcasters Convention to see if they can reconcile and keep their jobs. So, they ride together headed to Dallas and thus begins a series of humorous misadventures that include kidnapping. jail, and finding the bad guys", and maybe each other.
And let's not forget Moonrunner and S
Gloria (Dee) Roepke
One Night, if this was a movie it would definitely be classified as a “chick flick.” Carrie and her co-worker, Kyle, are complete opposites, and have a difficult time co-existing at work. To save their jobs they are forced to attend a conference together, that is where everything changes. This book has romance, drama, a bit of comedy, along with some “off-the-wall” events.

I see this being a great book for the younger crowd – twenties & thirties, but was a great beach book for me.
Jeanine Celentano
Romance,intrigue, comedy
The earmarks of a good book
Kristina
This was a cute love story about two radio personalities who volunteered to take a road trip to a convention together which turned into quite the detour and exciting adventure. Of course, spending time together could only mean that they also started figuring out that they liked each other... The end of the book had an interesting twist I didn't see coming involving the "bad guy" in the story. All in all it was a quick and easy yet enjoyable read.
Ada
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read. Enjoyable, light hearted even with the somewhat sinister tone it tried to take up. It's not a must-read, have to recommend but if you pick it up, it'll entertain for the time it takes to read it. I would have liked to see more of a transition between the characters when they move from the hate to the love - it wasn't gradual, just seemed like a switch was flicked and boom, in bed and in love.
Diana Burtnett
Easy read - romance. A cashier at Cracker Barrel noticed I was reading it and raved on and on about how she just loved Debbie's books. I'm sure that there are many people who do love her books - I want to read more of them to see if there are things I can learn from her. The fact that she is able to write as many as she does impresses me. Wonder if she has some ghost writers?
Caroline
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when I think I have a favorite book by Debbie Macomber, I read another one of hers and it blows me away. What a great story. It was another fast read, a great story and yet another one I wouldn't mind reading again. I highly recommend it, you will not be disappointed. Thanks Debbie....on to your next one.
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the story and especially the characters. I couldn't see how anything would bring these two together, but the plot twists and their own growth really tell the tale of how 2 people can change for the better. Not squeaky clean, but all explicit scenes behind closed doors for which I was truly grateful! Very fun read!
Michelle
Mar 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, all-books
This is the first Debbie Macomber book I've disliked. The characters have nothing in common; their interaction is terrible and in no way leads to romance or love; and the story was ridiculous. I rolled my eyes more times than I could count with this book and couldn't wait for it to be over. Very disappointing.
Lorie Steinfeldt
I really enjoy Debbie Macomber, however this book seemed like the traditional romance books. She usually has more realistic feeling to her characters. There was some humor. I just thought it was slow moving and the to main characters went from hating each other to liking and never had any more friction which didn't seem likely.
Amanda Duciaume
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read! I seemed to flip through the pages in no time at all. I found myslef able to see some of what was coming- only to find that I was only half correct. The fact that there were things taking place that I did not expect kept me very interested. I would suggest this book to those that like quick reads about a deep love and terrible trouble; all mixed together.
Ernie
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie Macomber is a fine story teller, this book has humor and a good story. It also has a mystery which propels the story forward. At times I laughed out loud at the antics of the heroine, Carrie Jamison.The hero is uptight and conservative, but non the less he becomes endearing as his mis-adventures with Carrie continue.By the end of the book you find them both very likeable.
Laura Beth
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rating, review
So I thought I was reading one of her Christmas novels which this isn't but it still is cute. Liked the lead characters and what they brought to the table. What I wished she gave us was some of their on air chemistry. What made them so popular over the airwaves? That would have been the prefect touch. Will have to give it 3 1/2 stars.
Carroll
Very cliche, predictable book. Co worker D.J.'s travelling enroute to a convention break down on an isolated road and are picked up by a criminal. Of course they end up in a small town with only one hotel room avalable where they have to share a room and...you guessed it. Usually I like Debbie Macomber but this book was way too cliche and all I kept thinking was where were their cell phones?
Kshydog
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thought this was going to be just a romance book - characters hate each other because they remind them too much of traits in their parents that they do not like. Liked how suspense was added by the wanted man character. Although predictable it was a nice story to read except for the precautions not taken on that night - not sure that aspect added enough to story.
Rosemary
Have mercy. We have a non member in our bookclub and if any of you know me you know that I read anything with words on a page and apologize later, but I knew when this cute lady suggested Debbie Macomber that che is always a fun light romantic read, but she throws some sex in ans boy she did. No one lisyened to my warnings. Book-club should be interesting.
April Suter
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie and Kyle are two complete oppposites that can't seem to work together at the radio station so they are fired unless within two weeks they can find a way to get along. Their boss suggest that they take this trip together to convention. They find out that hate and love are connected.
You also get to meet Kyle's flower-child mom and a wanted felon along the way.

356 pages
  • Santa In Montana (Calder Saga #11)
  • Return to Rose Cottage: The Laws of Attraction / For the Love of Pete (Rose Cottage Sisters #3-4)
  • Snow Angels
  • Sweet Rains: Second Nature / Lessons Learned
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • The Maiden's Hand (Tudor Rose #2)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

“Women can’t tell east from west, so you use these ridiculous ways of getting from one place to another.” “Ridiculous means? What exactly are you talking about?” “If you must know, a woman gives instructions to take a right at the beauty parlor on Main Street, and a man will tell you to head east.” “It’s the same thing, isn’t it?” “No, it isn’t,” Kyle argued. “Men don’t notice things like beauty parlors or red mailboxes.” 0 likes