Start by marking “Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  1,748 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
“Among Buddhist leaders influential in the West, Thich Nhat Hanh ranks second only to the Dalai Lama.” —New York Times

“Thich Nhat Hanh is a holy man…. His ideas for peace, if applied, would build a monument to ecumenism, to world brotherhood, to humanity.” —Martin Luther King, Jr., nominating Thich Nhat Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967.

In this much-anticipated follow
Published February 15th 2011 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Peace Is Every Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace Is Every Breath

Underpressure
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh's books are amazing. He provides a clear spiritual perspective for many modern day preoccupations. His life guides are not usually the thing you would read through in one sitting but the kind of book you would consult on and off throughout the years. His advice is deviously simple yet highly logical and practical. I recommend his books to anyone interested in buddhist philosophy. His spiritual advice is inclusive, meaning that it can apply to people from any and all wa ...more
Marigold
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel that Peace is Every Step was a more worldview-shattering book than this. However, this does have some ideas and concepts that are helpful, which I will run through in no particular format. This is a personal review so I can look back on it later.
"I am home; I have arrived" in each moment of being in your body - no need to rush about anxiously looking toward a particular time, ever moving into the future, of when you can relax. Consciously smiling in the morning when you wake up to set the
T.Kay Browning
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one really suffered from not being read by Hanh. I have listened to a couple of his other works, one a book and one a lecture, where he is the narrator/speaker and his speaking style is just out of this world awesome. A lot of it still comes through in his writing, but you miss so much of the great care with which he treats his world and the wonderful pacing that he uses.

Still, lots of wonderful teachings and firm, real world examples that I would love to have form the very core of who I am
Trey Nowell
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Hanh focusing on the importance of peace and centering ones self in that which is important. This book helps as a guide for self-reflection, very impressed with all of his work.
Bett Correa-Bollhoefer
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful daily meditation book.
Marjorie
Like the author's earlier book "Peace is Every Step," "Peace is Every Breath" is a slim volume of short chapters, written using deceptively simple language and metaphors, that explains deep Buddhist concepts with a clarity that sometimes feels like a revelation. (In particular, when I read the sections on right mindfulness and wrong mindfulness, something clicked and I felt that I understood the concept of mindfulness in a way that I hadn't before.)

The book begins with concrete suggestions for
Suzanne
I'm not rating this as I feel it is one of those books that can mean more to you in a couple of years time, when you pick out a special chapter and re-read.

So I'm just going to give you my impressions of the first read:

Pro:
+Short, clear chapters, most on practical every day stuff
+All the parts about dealing with (what I would call) negative feelings
+The Five Precepts added in the back for good measure
+The dutch edition I have looks very attractive, like a real gift to yourself or a loved one

Con:
Kia Turner
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Peace Is Every Breath is a quick read, and a great introduction to the idea of mindfulness seen through the buddhist philosophy. Nhat Hanh makes an effort in this book to educate readers on his groundbreaking ideas of buddhism that is applicable to the present day, and presents not only the mantras themselves, but also guidelines on how to approach and understand them.

If you are short on time and looking for a simple read that you can use as a sort of guidebook and continually come back to - th
Polo
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you want to read this book, I recommend performing a google and find the free .pdf file. It is freely available online to download. Personally, it is not worth paying money to read. Its nothing new that hasn't been said before about being mindful while brushing teeth, and watching the breath, watching thoughts. For anyone new to meditation and mindfulness it would have value. However, if one has been focused on mindfulness for some time, check out the free download and make a decision if you ...more
Nikki
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book on mindfulness!! Designed for modern day, busy workers like myself. Thich Nhat Hanh poignantly discusses ways to always return you mind to the moment, whether you're washing dishes, getting in the car to go to work, or taking a few minutes for a quiet walk. You don't have to sit to enjoy the benefits of meditation. You can mediate throughout the day, staying mindful and being present. I highly recommend this book!
Jeff Yoak
It is interesting to me how much similarity there is in evidence-based, non-mystical works on mindfulness and works more based on a mystical tradition in terms of describing practice and technique. That said, I strongly prefer the former, and this was mostly either familiar to me or new poetry of the sort I'm not really seeking.
Zoom
May 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I want to live more mindfully and I try to have an open mind about it. I like the concept, but I can't get into Thich Nhat Hanh. I find myself thinking the emperor has no clothes...he's just a brand.
Abbey
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i mean, of course. thich nhat hanh is the best. i read it faster than one should read a book about mindfulness, but i just got so excited to practice that i couldn't help myself.
Beth
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice ideas, but I felt that it read like a self-help article in a magazine - over-simplified and casual.
Matt
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book packs a ton of thought provoking wisdom in a small package. I already know that I will be reading this again and again to hopefully absorb its knowledge and guidance.
Kim
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't even figure out where to begin. Clearly not the right introduction to mindfulness for me, so full of privilege, sexism, hetero&gender normativity, ableism... I can't even fathom an author who ends a chapter urging the reader to acquire another specific title he wrote and follows the urging with a chapter on mindful shopping.
Anger should not be felt because in 300 years we and the person towards whom we feel anger will be dust? Working towards not having anger consume us is great, bu
Joycelyn
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Each chapter can be read in 5 or 7 minutes first thing in the morning, during lunch time, or some time before bed - which is what I do and find effective, perfect for very busy people. Some may argue the 2 to 4-page sections can be read in 1-2 minutes, but if you rush the reading, you may miss the point of being mindful.

Slow down whatever that are happening in your mind, read the book slow, enjoy every bit of the teachings, and allow the material to naturally touch what lays deep inside of you.
Sokcheng
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The wisdom held in this book is so simple that if you read without a stop to reflect and practice, it'll rush on like a running river, only a few drops of the wisdom will be left behind. Thus, I resolved to read only one passage a day. It can be summed up into: mindfulness, breathing, wonder, joy, calm, in every single activity starting from our first sight in the morning and last sight at night.
Ana Gutierrez
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute little read. Thought provoking and it offered wonderful little "gathas" to ponder during mindful meditation.

The introduction says this is a continuation of two other books, The Miracle of Mindfulness and Peace Is Every Step. I enjoyed this book and the authors writing that I think I'll be checking those two out as well.
Alex
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirit
This book provides a good framework to integrating meditative practice into everyday life. Some of his language didn't sit quite right with me, but the majority of it seemed like good advice to bring to every moment.
Audrey
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
major epiphany after reading this book...highly recommend!
Peter
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has helped me to establish a firmer footing on the attitudes with which I approach my self, my family,my friends, and the world. It offers practices to help cultivate that attitude.
Eduardo
This is a very good book to start with for people who are interested in Mindfulness. If you like Thay's teachings, you can't miss it.
Terri
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great Buddhist principles to apply to everyday life to start embracing a healthier way of living! Great book!
Susan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
The passages were hot or miss for me. Some very powerful, some not so much.
Mariana
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
wonderful; to be read over and over
Adanna
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Feelings:
So when do i assume lotus position and go 'ohmmmmm'?

Thoughts:
Peace is hard work (practice) but also kind of simple (steps).
My copy of this book is filled with notes to self and underlined paragraphs and question marks!
I loved the book's style as it flowed easily from one 'chapter' to the next. Short and sweet.
I have to say once i started reading this, it was not what i expected, but i guess i had planned for the future of this book without letting it unfold in the now!
I've learnt so muc
Taylor Trauger
I enjoyed this book, but I listened to it and was done in two hours and it has all kind of blended together with some of his other work I've read. I think it would be much more meaningful to take your time reading it and be able to pick up the book any time to reread all the little poems he includes.
Ashley
SHORT VERSION: I really enjoyed the book and would encourage others to read it if you're new to mindfulness and looking for a more flowing, poetic, continuous textual approach.

LONG VERSION: This was the first full-length book of Nhất Hạnh's that I've read, though I'd been meaning to for a while. It was a really beautiful little experience. He speaks -- that's what it feels like; he's not writing -- in such an informal, personable way that you really feel like he's engaged in a conversation with
Chris
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
by Thich Nhat Hanh
When I started this book I thought it was a bit slow and it took me while to get what Thich Nhat Hanh was trying to get across. Putting aside time to meditate probably holds more people away from meditation than anything else. In our already overburdened lives how do add time that appears to be accomplishing nothing.

Through many examples of small meditations that are easy to add into your life, Hanh is putting forth two messa
  • My Spiritual Journey
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Sayings of the Buddha: New Translations from the Pali Nikayas
  • Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Druids: A Very Short Introduction
  • If... Questions for the Game of Life (If..., #1)
  • Letting Everything Become Your Teacher: 100 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God
  • The Wisdom of a Broken Heart: An Uncommon Guide to Healing, Insight, and Love
  • The Key: A True Encounter
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“We have negative mental habits that come up over and over again. One of the most significant negative habits we should be aware of is that of constantly allowing our mind to run off into the future. Perhaps we got this from our parents. Carried away by our worries, we're unable to live fully and happily in the present. Deep down, we believe we can't really be happy just yet—that we still have a few more boxes to be checked off before we can really enjoy life. We speculate, dream, strategize, and plan for these "conditions of happiness" we want to have in the future; and we continually chase after that future, even while we sleep. We may have fears about the future because we don't know how it's going to turn out, and these worries and anxieties keep us from enjoying being here now.” 66 likes
“If you know how to be happy with the wonders of life that are already there for you to enjoy, you don't need to stress your mind and your body by striving harder and harder, and you don't need to stress this planet by purchasing more and more stuff. The Earth belongs to our children. We have already borrowed too much from it, from them; and the way things have been going, we're not sure we'll be able to give it back to them in decent shape. And who are our children, actually? They are us, because they are our own continuation. So we've been shortchanging our own selves. Much of our modern way of life is permeated by mindless overborrowing. The more we borrow, the more we loser. That's why it's critical that we wake up and see we don't need to do that anymore. What's already available in the here and now is plenty for us to be nourished, to be happy. Only that kind of insight will get us, each one of us, to stop engaging in the compulsive, self-sabotaging behaviors of our species. We need a collective awakening. One Buddha is not enough. All of us have to become Buddhas in order for our planet to have a chance. Fortunately, we have the power to wake up, to touch enlightenment from moment to moment, in our very own ordinary and, yes, busy lives. So let's start right now. Peace is your every breath.” 30 likes