Start by marking “Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives” as Want to Read:
Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives

Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives

“Among Buddhist leaders influential in the West, Thich Nhat Hanh ranks second only to the Dalai Lama.” —New York Times

“Thich Nhat Hanh is a holy man…. His ideas for peace, if applied, would build a monument to ecumenism, to world brotherhood, to humanity.” —Martin Luther King, Jr., nominating Thich Nhat Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967.

In this much-anticipated follow
Published February 15th 2011 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Peace Is Every Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace Is Every Breath

Underpressure
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh's books are amazing. He provides a clear spiritual perspective for many modern day preoccupations. His life guides are not usually the thing you would read through in one sitting but the kind of book you would consult on and off throughout the years. His advice is deviously simple yet highly logical and practical. I recommend his books to anyone interested in buddhist philosophy. His spiritual advice is inclusive, meaning that it can apply to people from any and all wa ...more
Marigold
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel that Peace is Every Step was a more worldview-shattering book than this. However, this does have some ideas and concepts that are helpful, which I will run through in no particular format. This is a personal review so I can look back on it later.
"I am home; I have arrived" in each moment of being in your body - no need to rush about anxiously looking toward a particular time, ever moving into the future, of when you can relax. Consciously smiling in the morning when you wake up to set the
Brandi Johnson
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The audiobook is full of useful info, easy to listen to and easy to understand. The narrator speaks clearly and at a slow enough rate to allow for note taking without losing fluency. There aren’t a lot of examples and anecdotes but it’s still a fairly interesting read. I definitely would recommend having the physical book or taking notes to anyone who actually wants to put the information to use.
MyNguyen1709
Mơi đâu đoc tưa sach "Thiên tâp cho ngươi bân rôn" hơi phan cam ti vi không thich la ngươi mang danh bân rôn đôi vơi viêc đoc sach, minh thich thanh thơi va đoc tư tư. Nhưng ma la cua Thich Nhât Hanh - Tac gia, Thiên sư yêu thich cua minh nên không khoi to mo lât ra đoc thư. Ngay trang bia la bai thi kê tương tư bai minh đoc hoai môi sang: "Thưc dây miêng mim cươi. Hăm bôn giơ tinh khôi. Xin nguyên sông tron ven. Măt thương nhin cuôc đơi." Bai minh đoc thi câu cuôi la "Hiên dâng cho cuôc đơi". D ...more
T.Kay Browning
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one really suffered from not being read by Hanh. I have listened to a couple of his other works, one a book and one a lecture, where he is the narrator/speaker and his speaking style is just out of this world awesome. A lot of it still comes through in his writing, but you miss so much of the great care with which he treats his world and the wonderful pacing that he uses.

Still, lots of wonderful teachings and firm, real world examples that I would love to have form the very core of who I am
Trey Nowell
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Hanh focusing on the importance of peace and centering ones self in that which is important. This book helps as a guide for self-reflection, very impressed with all of his work.
Bett Correa-Bollhoefer
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful daily meditation book.
Magen
2.5 rounded to 3 because the poems at the end were well written and useful. The rest of the book is very preachy, telling us what we should do. When it's not shoulds, it's pretty basic info.
Marjorie
Like the author's earlier book "Peace is Every Step," "Peace is Every Breath" is a slim volume of short chapters, written using deceptively simple language and metaphors, that explains deep Buddhist concepts with a clarity that sometimes feels like a revelation. (In particular, when I read the sections on right mindfulness and wrong mindfulness, something clicked and I felt that I understood the concept of mindfulness in a way that I hadn't before.)

The book begins with concrete suggestions for
San San
Cuốn sách là những bài học nhỏ, hướng dẫn chúng ta thực hành thiền tập trong đời sống hàng ngày.
Ngay từ những công việc nhỏ nhất như thức dậy, đánh răng rửa mặt buổi sáng, Thầy Thích Nhất Hạnh hướng chúng ta đến cách sống thức tỉnh trong từng giây phút ở hiện tại. Giống như là khiến mỗi chúng ta ý thức được rằng mình đang sống. Mỗi bài kệ đều rất ngắn gọn và súc tích, nhưng thật lòng mà nói đối với hầu hết những cá nhân sống trong thời đại này, những người đã và đang thích nghi với cuộc sống nhộ
Suzanne
I'm not rating this as I feel it is one of those books that can mean more to you in a couple of years time, when you pick out a special chapter and re-read.

So I'm just going to give you my impressions of the first read:

Pro:
+Short, clear chapters, most on practical every day stuff
+All the parts about dealing with (what I would call) negative feelings
+The Five Precepts added in the back for good measure
+The dutch edition I have looks very attractive, like a real gift to yourself or a loved one

Con:
Kia Turner
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Peace Is Every Breath is a quick read, and a great introduction to the idea of mindfulness seen through the buddhist philosophy. Nhat Hanh makes an effort in this book to educate readers on his groundbreaking ideas of buddhism that is applicable to the present day, and presents not only the mantras themselves, but also guidelines on how to approach and understand them.

If you are short on time and looking for a simple read that you can use as a sort of guidebook and continually come back to - th
Polo
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you want to read this book, I recommend performing a google and find the free .pdf file. It is freely available online to download. Personally, it is not worth paying money to read. Its nothing new that hasn't been said before about being mindful while brushing teeth, and watching the breath, watching thoughts. For anyone new to meditation and mindfulness it would have value. However, if one has been focused on mindfulness for some time, check out the free download and make a decision if you ...more
Nikki
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book on mindfulness!! Designed for modern day, busy workers like myself. Thich Nhat Hanh poignantly discusses ways to always return you mind to the moment, whether you're washing dishes, getting in the car to go to work, or taking a few minutes for a quiet walk. You don't have to sit to enjoy the benefits of meditation. You can mediate throughout the day, staying mindful and being present. I highly recommend this book!
Jeff Yoak
It is interesting to me how much similarity there is in evidence-based, non-mystical works on mindfulness and works more based on a mystical tradition in terms of describing practice and technique. That said, I strongly prefer the former, and this was mostly either familiar to me or new poetry of the sort I'm not really seeking.
Zoom
May 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I want to live more mindfully and I try to have an open mind about it. I like the concept, but I can't get into Thich Nhat Hanh. I find myself thinking the emperor has no clothes...he's just a brand.
Abbey
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i mean, of course. thich nhat hanh is the best. i read it faster than one should read a book about mindfulness, but i just got so excited to practice that i couldn't help myself.
Beth
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice ideas, but I felt that it read like a self-help article in a magazine - over-simplified and casual.
Matt
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book packs a ton of thought provoking wisdom in a small package. I already know that I will be reading this again and again to hopefully absorb its knowledge and guidance.
Kim
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't even figure out where to begin. Clearly not the right introduction to mindfulness for me, so full of privilege, sexism, hetero&gender normativity, ableism... I can't even fathom an author who ends a chapter urging the reader to acquire another specific title he wrote and follows the urging with a chapter on mindful shopping.
Anger should not be felt because in 300 years we and the person towards whom we feel anger will be dust? Working towards not having anger consume us is great, bu
Joycelyn
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Each chapter can be read in 5 or 7 minutes first thing in the morning, during lunch time, or some time before bed - which is what I do and find effective, perfect for very busy people. Some may argue the 2 to 4-page sections can be read in 1-2 minutes, but if you rush the reading, you may miss the point of being mindful.

Slow down whatever that are happening in your mind, read the book slow, enjoy every bit of the teachings, and allow the material to naturally touch what lays deep inside of you.
Teresa
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Every now again I like to read books on Zen Buddhism and meditation because I keep wondering when I will discover how this works for women. It seems like this is way of life is for men, especially single men, who do not need to deal with children or any other demands of family life. But I do find it important to find peace in the mundane household chores I do. Instead of repeating a verse or mantra, I speak to myself about how these mindless chores make my home run better, thus more peaceful. I ...more
David
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I love me a good Thich Nhat Hanh book. They're usually quick and simple to digest, chock-full of easily-applied sage wisdom from one of the most influential Buddhist leaders in the West. “Peace is Every Breath” is no exception.

Hanh is a world-renowned Vietnamese Zen Buddhist master, poet, scholar, and peace activist who attempts to show people how to incorporate the practice of mindfulness into each and every waking moment. The followup to his bestselling classic, “Peace is Every Step”, the chap
Jennifer 黄雷 ✧
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing, and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consci ...more
Rebecca
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple but impactful - a great collection of gentle reminders to live in the present, and how exactly to help yourself get there. Bought it as a gift, read it before passing it on and got a lot out of it. It's very straightforward and clear, with a kind tone that made me feel very supported and encouraged. I strive to live mindfully, and I think I've come a long way through time, but it's never bad to be reminded of how to reach out and bring peace into your daily life. I'm going to make an effo ...more
Sokcheng
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The wisdom held in this book is so simple that if you read without a stop to reflect and practice, it'll rush on like a running river, only a few drops of the wisdom will be left behind. Thus, I resolved to read only one passage a day. It can be summed up into: mindfulness, breathing, wonder, joy, calm, in every single activity starting from our first sight in the morning and last sight at night.
Evan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As this was the first of Hanh's books I'd read perhaps I'm just unaccustomed to his style, but this didn't really strike me as particularly enlightening (hey look, a pun!). The basic premise of finding mindfulness in the procedures of everyday life is sound, but some of the recommendations don't seem especially practical or relatable; almost as if he doesn't realize 99% of his audience are not Zen monks sequestered in (I'm assuming) a peaceful and rather conflict-free monastery.
Nhân Nguyễn
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tập sách rất hữu ích, cho người đọc hiểu được thiền không phải chỉ có cách duy nhất là ngồi kiết già như nhiều người lầm tưởng, mà còn có thể thực hiện trong mọi hoạt động đời sống sinh hoạt hằng ngày.
"Chánh niệm là năng lượng thắp sáng ý thức chiếu rọi vào những gì đang xảy ra bây giờ và ở đây. Chánh niệm là trái tim của thiền tập."
Có lẽ câu này tóm gọn nội dung của quyển sách. Làm gì thì làm, thực hành chánh niệm là ta đã có thể thiền tập rồi, không câu nệ tiểu tiết và hình thức.
Ellie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I love everything by Thich Nhat Hanh. This one was mostly about mindfulness in very specific situations throughout the day. It's quite nice to just use as a short meditation before you engage with the day, go to bed, brush your teeth, eat dinner, etc. A great one to keep on the bedside table or coffee table for easy access at all times!
Ana Gutierrez
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute little read. Thought provoking and it offered wonderful little "gathas" to ponder during mindful meditation.

The introduction says this is a continuation of two other books, The Miracle of Mindfulness and Peace Is Every Step. I enjoyed this book and the authors writing that I think I'll be checking those two out as well.
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • Letting Everything Become Your Teacher: 100 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times
  • Sayings of the Buddha
  • My Spiritual Journey
  • The Buddhist Path to Simplicity: Spiritual Practice in Everyday Life
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • A Lamp in the Darkness: Illuminating the Path Through Difficult Times
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Deciphering the Cosmic Number: The Strange Friendship of Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • L'art de l'essentiel : Jeter l'inutile et le superflu pour faire de l'espace en soi
  • Druids: A Very Short Introduction
“We have negative mental habits that come up over and over again. One of the most significant negative habits we should be aware of is that of constantly allowing our mind to run off into the future. Perhaps we got this from our parents. Carried away by our worries, we're unable to live fully and happily in the present. Deep down, we believe we can't really be happy just yet—that we still have a few more boxes to be checked off before we can really enjoy life. We speculate, dream, strategize, and plan for these "conditions of happiness" we want to have in the future; and we continually chase after that future, even while we sleep. We may have fears about the future because we don't know how it's going to turn out, and these worries and anxieties keep us from enjoying being here now.” 74 likes
“If you know how to be happy with the wonders of life that are already there for you to enjoy, you don't need to stress your mind and your body by striving harder and harder, and you don't need to stress this planet by purchasing more and more stuff. The Earth belongs to our children. We have already borrowed too much from it, from them; and the way things have been going, we're not sure we'll be able to give it back to them in decent shape. And who are our children, actually? They are us, because they are our own continuation. So we've been shortchanging our own selves. Much of our modern way of life is permeated by mindless overborrowing. The more we borrow, the more we loser. That's why it's critical that we wake up and see we don't need to do that anymore. What's already available in the here and now is plenty for us to be nourished, to be happy. Only that kind of insight will get us, each one of us, to stop engaging in the compulsive, self-sabotaging behaviors of our species. We need a collective awakening. One Buddha is not enough. All of us have to become Buddhas in order for our planet to have a chance. Fortunately, we have the power to wake up, to touch enlightenment from moment to moment, in our very own ordinary and, yes, busy lives. So let's start right now. Peace is your every breath.” 32 likes