Start by marking “Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man” as Want to Read:
Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man

Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man

After watching his mother clean and bandage his scratch, Dan knows just what to do when his sister, her doll, their dog, and even his father have wounds that need tending, and earns himself a new nickname.
Published September 14th 2004 by Golden Books (first published 1952)

Start your review of Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
Sheri
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
After learning from the best doctor in the world, his mom, Dan uses his new doctoring skills to ease the hurts of the injured, thus earning his new title. The darling illustrations bring back memories of the simpler times of the 1950’s and your own childhood. If you haven’t been around young children lately, you’ll be reminded of the healing powers of a bandage!
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a time capsule! Little boys dressed up as cowboys playing in the back yard...a cut on the finger...mom to the rescue...Dan helps his little sister put a bandage on her doll - a time and place long gone.
unknown
Mar 15, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
As if Nina wasn't already obsessed with band-aids, now I have to read this to her three times a day. THANKS GOLDEN BOOKS
Kathryn
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book wins and extra star for the charming 1950s illustrations and the fact that I probably would have loved it as a kid. It makes Band-Aids seem cool and fun. I appreciated the mother's sensitivity to her little cowboy's feelings, and I thought the story captured so well how when one kids gets excited about something, younger siblings are bound to become enthusiastic about it, too. (Loved the part where the little sister purposely looks for a scratch so that *she* can have a Band-Aid, too.) ...more
Dianna
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: open-library, tgatb
This reads like an advertisement for Band-Aids, but I hardly care. It's too adorable.
Josiah
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
This picture book, originally published in 1950, was still in print more than sixty years later by the Little Golden Books company. I like that even though the illustrations and story are old-fashioned, the book continued to be published, making an impact as it first did so many years ago. I'm sure the author, Helen Gaspard, would be pleased. The two band-aids enclosed with the book is an awesome idea. :-)
Morris
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"I liked when his dad got a bandage."
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
This is one Little Golden Book that I definitely did not remember
Nanette
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
My copy came with two vintage bandaids-nifty!
Yaritza
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book for children. Perfect book to teach kids about cuts and how to clean it and put a bandage. Images really bring you back to the 1950's how simple life was.
Jaimee
Mar 12, 2009 added it
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book! It came with a free band-aid!
Anna
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of people gift us doctor children's books, which is fine, and this one isn't bad and even features a dog who looks very similar to our beagle, Addie (I always point this out, and George seems pleased with this similarity). The beginning, though, is quite, as progressives like to say, "problematic," and the mother tells the injured cowboy-playing protagonist that cowboys don't cry. Now, I've been one to tell George to suck it up when he whines over a small bump or scrape, but I know that re ...more
Renee
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this story. My 5 year old likes it, too. Good story about helping out and allowing others to help.
Rae Whitefeather
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sorting-hat
A childhood favorite, that is highly under-appreciated. The amount of people who hate this book for the sole reason that there is a gun on the first page, makes me wonder how nerf became such a popular franchise.

This a cute little book about a little boy who decides he wants to be a healer (either that or he simply has an intense fascination with band-aids, like most young children,) and it is one I will be giving to my little brother for Christmas. He is just learning to read, and I hope this
Jennifer Heise
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that I have a guilty nostalgia for. Doctor Dan and Nurse Nancy-- how sexist they were. But who could resist Doctor Dan and the band-aids, even if this was clearly an advertising piece? *sigh*
Tiny Mendoza
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I love how the illustrations of the book are 1950s-inspired. I'm a die-hard fan of 50s pin-up posters and I've always loved how artsy and pretty they are. And I agree that Band-Aids can lessen the pain every time we're all wounded-up because they're too cute!
Shannon
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Shannon by: Mike
Shelves: michael
I learned how to treat a boo-boo with the help of this book!
Valerie Doherty
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Golden Classic-copyright 1950. How kids' literature has changed over time.
P.S. Winn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun story kids will enjoy, who hasn't wanted to fix up their toys by healing them with some special doctor skills?
Rebecca
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Our golden book copy still has the two original bangages in the front of the book.
Jenn Swanson
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler-books
My daughter absolutely loved this book. I loved the vintage illustrations.
Mike
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts, shannon
I don't know why but I feel like I should buy some band-aid brand adhesive bandages.
Wade
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Both my son and daughter have loved this book at various stages since they both have had an obsession with band-aids and all things booboo related!
Stacey
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as little-golden-books
1977
Cara Byrne
One of the classic Golden Books I inherited from my mother filled with toy gun fights, gender stereotypes, and the de-emphasis of the intelligence of Dan's mother in order to champion him. And, of course, my daughter loves it.
Paige Pagnotta
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of my very favorite books as a kid :)
Heather
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I don't remember how old I was when I read this, but I do remember thinking it was a cool story. It's a good starter for young kids.
Amber
Apr 24, 2019

• The Little Red Caboose
  • Scuffy the Tugboat
  • Seven Little Postmen
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • Nurse Nancy
  • The Friendly Book (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Dreamland Burning
  • Track That Monkey! (Paw Patrol)
  • Biscuit's Snow Day Race (My First I Can Read)
  • Construction Site on Christmas Night
  • The Night Before St. Patrick's Day
  • Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory
  • Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor (My First I Can Read)
  • Dino Duckling
  • Cookiesaurus Rex
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Spooky Cabin (Paw Patrol)
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!

News & Interviews