Start by marking “Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side” as Want to Read:
Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side

Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,837 Ratings  ·  221 Reviews
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Ghosts, but Were Too Afraid to Ask

From a very young age James Van Praagh was aware of a dimension that most of us cannot see, and he has dedicated his life to explaining it to the rest of us. The New York Times bestseller Ghosts Among Us takes us on an incredible journey into the spirit world that brings to light one of our greate
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2008)

Janene
People who know me find it impossible that I hadn't heard about James Van Praagh prior to picking up this book. So, I read the book without any preconceived notions or opinions about him.

Does he *really* recall paranormal events..in detail..that happened when he was just 2 years old? I found myself rolling my eyes many times (I am a very firm believer in the afterlife & have had experiences as far back as I can remember. THREE years of age. lol). Much of what I read I felt was really over t
Jeph
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skeptics need not apply.

Ghosts Among Us was the first book in a very long time that I was sorry to see end. James Van Praagh is a medium responsible for producing such well-known shows as Ghost Whisperer. His book, Ghosts Among Us explains his understanding of spirits and the spirit world that surrounds us. He discusses a wide variety of topics ranging from what ghosts are to the afterlife, the chakra system and even methods for protection from evil energy and making contact should you choose to
Victoria
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommend to me by a good friend. As I am recovering from an illness she thought this would be a good idea to protect myself from negitive energy. I had never read anything by James and really only knew his name. After reading this, I have a feeling I'll be looking for other books he's wrote to add to my library, including this one.

One of the best things about this book is the positive protection and visualizations that he recommends.
I have done a few "ghost tours" in the past and
Julie Ann
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing in many ways.

Here's a list of what this book did to me.

1. It opened my consciousness to the spiritual being that I am. Here is where I found out about the quote I wanted placed under my name in my college yearbook. :)
2. It changed my view on life, death and the afterlife.
3. It increased my faith in God, and made me closer to Him and His angels. :)
4. It changed my perspective about ghosts/souls/spirits.
5. It taught me how to pray again.

The book came to my life in the right ti
Valerie
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little known fact about me...I have always feared death, especially since having kids, I have an irrational fear that I will die while they are little and not be able to see them grow up. This book has reminded me, in an religously unbiased way, that God is in control and I will live exactly how long he wants me to. This book has eased my mind phenominally and answered questions for me that religon never could and at the same time strengthens my belief in religon and God. A tall order for some ...more
Kim
May 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have a lot of respect for James Van Praagh. His other books offer wonderful meditations, insight into the paranormal and postive messages of love and hope. But this book just grated on me. First of all he tells you that ghosts aren't his expertise. He sees them, yes, but they give him the heebie-jeebies. As a medium, he's more into spirits that have "passed over" whereas ghosts tend to be 'earthbound'--stuck here due to some kind of negative energy field-- and boy did he ever have some creepy ...more
R.
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perused
From an e-mail to a friend:
I picked up a book at the library today called Ghosts Among Us by James "I'm In Your Living Room!" Van Praagh.

For some reason, he advises the Dear Reader to consider such mediation tricks as The Cloak of Invisibility and the Rays of Pink Light.

Because, of course, some ghosts are bad. Very bad. And they are easily dissuaded by you chanting, "I'm enveloped in pink light!" to yourself whilst the walls drip blood, the lights flicker.

Keep in mind that J.V.P. may very we
Margaret
Not a bad little memoir of being a medium.

Much the same as others of the genre, but James Van Praagh has a comfortable and entertaining writing style.

Good way to fill in a quiet afternoon.
Ash
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elana
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and enjoyable read (if you are interested in this sort of thing, of course). It's not so much whether I believe everything he has to say about the after-life -- it's more that I like to see a view of life from a perspective that is so unique. I don't doubt Van Praagh's abilities (my own life experience makes this possible for me). Also, personally, I believe life continues. It does make me think -- just as each of us percieve this life in our own particular way, so each of us will see th ...more
Lenoir
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lenoir by: Kelly O
Shelves: 2008, book-club
I thought this book was facinating. I suppose you can read it two ways though. You can think he is full of S*@%. If that's the case you probably won't enjoy this book at all. The other option is to suspend skepticism and just go with it. Even if you cannot embrace the concept of someone who "sees dead people" there are a lot of interesting things about postive and negative energy among the living and how we can physically and emotionally affect eachother with the energy we put out there. I waive ...more
Terri
Aug 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Interestingly I enjoyed the last part of this book more than anything else. I don't doubt that he had/has these experiences....which in and of itself is pretty amazing. But it all seemed SO stereotypical. The blonde haired, blue eyed beautiful angels, the healing spirits dressed as doctors, and meeting our relatives on the other side.....it was a little much. But I REALLY did enjoy the parts about being Mindful, positive thoughts and negative thoughts and living an enlightened life. Those parts ...more
Nancy Ellis
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author is a well-known medium as well as having been the co-producer of the TV series "The Ghost Whisperer" which I loved. In this book he deals with the issue of ghosts and the afterlife. I've always been fascinated by this subject, so it was a great book for me. Also very convincing if you're "on the shelf" about this subject...or you choose to say "that's nice" and forget about it. Either way, it's a very enjoyable book!

ADDED ON 09/28/15: Read it again and enjoyed it even more.
Margarida
O autor foi o consultor sobre mediunidade para a série de televisão "Contacto" (no original "The Ghost Whisperer") e esta obra esclarece o leitor sobre a presença de espíritos na nossa realidade, os planos energéticos em que eles existem, e que devemos encarar a vida e os entes queridos que já partiram com amor e compaixão.
Barbara
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i usually love this mans writing having had an amazing time at one of his workshops back when. I have no trouble believing in beings in a different dimension but I think James is doing a disservice by scaring people with "evil" ghosts and feeding that belief.
There is some really good stuff in the book but James sounds like he's gotten cranky.
Carolyn Kelso-Bell
This book entirely changed my thoughts and beliefs on life after death. So much so, that I hammy mother, husband and both grown kids read it. Ultimately it is an affirmation that life goes on and is not the end after all. Highly recommended.
Dawn Herbert
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very eye opening... highly recommend!!!
María Paz Greene F
Yo debiera dejar de leer este tipo de libros en este momento escéptico de mi vida, porque es como si los manchara con mi incredulidad. Es como si los fuera matando, uno a uno.

Es que no dejo de pensar en que no hay prueba de nada de lo que dicen, sobre los espíritus y el más allá, aunque tampoco hay prueba del mero ser, como comenté antes sobre el libro anterior. Y eso es todavía peor, porque me pone existencialista.

Lo único que puedo realmente recalcar, es que tuve sueños raros mientras leí esto
Bubbles
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read, for the non believer and believer of the spiritual realms.

I've chosen this book looking for answers and guidance to the unexplainable happening's I've experience in my life. I'm a truth seeker and have always felt that, I'm here for a higher purpose. James is a excellent source of knowledge and information in this field. I highly recommend this book and plan on reading his other books as well. Best detailed information I've found to date. Excited to start his next book!
Celia Rabelo
Li esse livro mais para ter uma visão sobre o que James sabe sobre o espiritismo. E cheguei a conclusão de que tudo o que ele sabe, ele aprendeu em sua vida mediunica. É um livro gostoso, fácil de ler e está quase todo correto, segundo os estudos da doutrina. Tem histórias, que ele cita como exemplo, que são encantadoras. Um livro até recomendável, para todos os públicos que tenham curiosidade sobre o espiritismo.
Cindy Cox Sherman
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Not only interesting information about "The Other Side" but also about energy. He has some great exercises for you to be able to feel energy. He includes protection exercises and the last chapter is about enlightenment. His comments about living in your ego self vs your higher self and also how any negative energy directed at someone, even just in thought, can impact them stood out for me. I will definitely be picking up more of his books.
Lisa Zarcone
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very strong book about spirit and afterlife. I am a firm believer and Yes we do having memories that can take us back to age 2. I myself have images and memories that far back. I was also visited at a very young age and I can related to what James is speaking about. I always find stories of spirit interesting as I connect. This is worth reading and give you a lot to think about.
L. Fisher
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Van Praagh has written an entertaining and informative book that covers most anything you could want to know about ghosts. The book is engaging from start to finish with expert story telling that includes many of his own personal experiences with the paranormal. I highly recommend this book to ghost lovers or people curious about the Afterlife.
Gary
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a good book, never heard of James Van Praagh before. There were a few things i thought was a little more harder to believe. Especially the parts about Lincoln. But what do i know? Overall i enjoyed it.
Barbara A Naremore
Really uplifting and informative

Lays out many good and easy to understand explanations for the paranormal subjects being discussed today. Excellent meditations for cleansing and protection.
Michelle Dewey
I knew most of this information on ghosts from reading many other of his books.

I respect him deeply and am more interested in higher spirit work, but felt the need to learn more about earthbound spirits.

I hope this book brings more understanding on a topic that has many misconceptions!
Kevin LaBrie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read it a long time ago and it is totally unremembered.
Marcia Sheer
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

I loved the various stories regarding ghosts, good and bad, as well as various protections and cleansing you can do.
Cheryl Finley-Parent
Very easy and interesting read
Gina Baratono
Love James Van Praagh. He's the real deal.
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Haunting Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly
  • Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters
  • The Barn Dance
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • One Last Time: A Psychic Medium Speaks to Those We Have Loved and Lost
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Conversations with the Other Side
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Lily Dale: The True Story of the Town that Talks to the Dead
  • Power of the Soul: Inside Wisdom for an Outside World
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • Haunted America
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Stories
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, and True Tales
His very natural, easy-going style would lead you to believe that James Van Praagh is chatting with a friend on the telephone, not communicating messages from the grave. James is a survival evidence medium, meaning that he is able to bridge the gap between two planes of existence, that of the living and that of the dead, by providing evidential proof of life after death via detailed messages. "I'm ...more
More about James Van Praagh

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99
“As a spirit having a human experience, you can choose to not merely exist but to be fully conscious and aware of living in a limited world. When you take a conscious part in life and its multitudes of choices, you won't let life happen to you - you will make life happen for you.” 14 likes
“Remember that ghosts can read your mind and recognize your fear, and if you don’t respect them by entering their world with knowledge and preparation, the results can have dire physical, mental, and emotional effects on you and anyone with you.” 1 likes