Start by marking “The Marrow of Modern Divinity” as Want to Read:
The Marrow of Modern Divinity

The Marrow of Modern Divinity

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published August 4th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published 1645)

To ask other readers questions about The Marrow of Modern Divinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marrow of Modern Divinity

Brenden Link
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Let’s face it, covenant theology isn’t exactly the easiest thing to figure out. There are always those nagging questions. For example: "Was Israel really in some sort of ‘covenant of works’? What is the exact difference between the ‘law’ and the ‘gospel’? Where do works come into the equation of our salvation?

These and many other issues are intuitively addressed and ingenuously explained in this masterful volume of 17th century English theology. This is both a work of art and a work of theology.
Tom F
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't feel I am qualified to review such a book. I will, however, give a bit of my thoughts on it.

I appreciate Fisher's conversations to explain the believer's relationship to the Law, and the distinction between Law and Gospel. Also, the exposition of the ten commandments is as good as our catechism in what the Law requires of man.

Boston's notes, though sometimes a bit difficult to follow, in jumping between Boston's notes and Fisher's book, are helpful, and could be a book on their own.

I a
Coyle
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A devotional elenctic theology from the time of Cromwell, this forgotten book really should not have been forgotten. Cast in the form of a Q&A session between a new Christian (Neophytus), a legalist (Nomista), an antinomian (Antinomista) and a preacher (Evangelista), the work extensively covers the nature of and relationship between the Law and the Gospel. In short, the Christian is utterly and completely free from the condemning power of the law.
Though the content is great, the edition leav
Andrew
A must read on the distinction between the law and the Gospel and the role of the law of God in a believers life. Although I disagree with some of the assumptions of the federal theology presented in the book it is a useful balanced response to two errors that are two sides of the same coin due to misinterpreting the relationship between the law and Gospel: neonomianims & antinomianism. These heresies are still prevalent today under different guises such as the federal vision, new perspectiv ...more
Paul Buckley
A Must Read for Every Christian!

A Bunyan like discussion of the nature of grace and the law, essential issues for all. Enjoyable, challenging and helpful!
Paul Kurtz
This is probably a better book than the rating I gave. The language in it is old enough to give me difficulty in following the flow of the book, and frankly it bored me. I suspect that is my problem and that "Marrow" is a book well worth digging into if you are interested in the difference between law and gospel, and legalism and antinomianism. I chose to read it because I recently read The Whole Christ by Sinclair Ferguson, which is a history of the controversy caused by this book. Ferguson's b ...more
Philip
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in what the Bible teaches on justification and sanctification
Recommended to Philip by: Seminary professors
Here is an excellent, careful, and Biblical exposition of justification and sanctification, as well as the Biblical and Reformed doctrine of the free offer of the Gospel. The copious notes by the Rev. Thomas Boston at least double the value of Fisher's work.

This was a very controversial book in the early 1700s and, in certain circles, remains so today. It tackled and demolished legalism, antinomianism, Arminianism, and true "Hyper-Calvinism" (as opposed to real "five point" Calvinism). It got ev
Aaron Cerda
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't give too many books five stars. This book was deeply profound. I had to go through many sections two...even three times to make sure that I was not only catching the theological teachings, but also not missing the historical significance and the role that the book played in the Marrow Controversy of the early 18th century. This book truly does help to navigate between the two extremes of antinomianism and legalism. This edition includes the explanatory notes by Puritan Thomas Boston whic ...more
Jerrold Lewis
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For its historical/theological benefit alone it is a must read, simply because it generated so much controversy in its day. I was particularly interested in the charge of antinomianism this work's detractors. Yet after reading it, I have concluded that the charges are misapplied. The Marrow Men, and Fisher were speaking out against preperationism, which, if you come from the position of the Scottish General Assembly of The Marrow's Day, would have appeared to have an immediate[ness] to Christ wi ...more
Mike Awtry
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deep and beautiful book about the law and the gospel, how the law drives us to Christ and how we respond to his gospel with the law. Very helpful in thinking about sanctification, and easily applicable to preaching, counseling, and personal growth in holiness. Full of beautiful prose; highly recommended.
Maranatha
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most important book that I have read in my life. Fisher, a Scottish barber, if that is correct, has written this as a collection of the best Reformed Theology in his time so that the Church can avoid the pitfalls of antinomianism and legalism.
Andy Smith
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply put: the best volume on Christian theology and living at this length I have ever read. The only other that comes close is Calvin's Institutes, which is substantially longer. A MUST READ FOR ALL CLERGY AND ASTUTE LAYMEN! An absolute treasure.
Blake Mundell
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Game changer. I will always remember the Marrow as an incredibly formative read.
Benjamin Glaser
Drew Barry
Jan 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Plan of Salvation
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • The Creedal Imperative
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Paul: An Outline of His Theology
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 3: Sin and Salvation in Christ
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?
  • Covenantal Apologetics: Principles and Practice in Defense of Our Faith
  • Charity & Its Fruits
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • Killing Calvinism: How to Destroy a Perfectly Good Theology from the Inside