Start by marking “L’occhio del ciclone” as Want to Read:
L’occhio del ciclone

L’occhio del ciclone (Sean Dillon #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  13,246 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Sean Dillon è un assassino. Ha lavorato al soldo di tutti - l'IRA, la RAF, l'ETA per citarne solo alcuni - non per principio, ma in base alle cifre del compenso. In vent'anni di attività non ha mai conosciuto il carcere, tanto è abile a sfuggire alla giustizia, tanto geniali sono i suoi camuffamenti e la sua affinata capacità di far perdere le proprie tracce. Un arabo, Mic ...more
Published 1997 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published June 5th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about L’occhio del ciclone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L’occhio del ciclone

Tim
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought as I have listened to some of the other, "Dillon," stories, but to this point found none as good. I now have a clearer understanding of this character who originated in '92. Michael Page is superb as narrator. This story is not for the faint of heart. 10 of 10 stars
Christine Blachford
Very mixed feelings on this one. As an action/adventure thriller, it’s certainly intriguing enough to sustain interest throughout. It’s a unique style in which the protagonist is the bad guy, and whilst there is almost equal time given to those hunting him down, I think we’re supposed to root for the terrorist here. I suspect he becomes less bad in subsequent books, but here we’re talking about a guy that signs up to kill one or more leading figures in British Parliament in the late 80s/early 90 ...more
Mal Warwick
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Eye of the Storm, British thriller writer Jack Higgins reimagines the story behind the mortar attack on 10 Downing Street that took place in 1991 shortly after John Major succeeded Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister. The attack took place during the early days of the First Gulf War, when Baghdad was under attack from the air and a land invasion was imminently expected. The Provisional IRA engineered the attack, which mirrored its tactics in Northern Ireland. Instead, Higgins puts the blame o ...more
Jane Long
Not bad. Took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I enjoyed it. Think it's the first one I,ve read by him. Onto the next one now, Thunder Point.
Steve
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June 2018 Sean #1 but my 5th Jack Higgins. I think I appreciate Sean more as a person part of the Ferguson team than as an ruthless independent contract.
R.P. Morel
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everything_else
How the character Sean Dillon came to be.
Keith Wofsey
Had to put this one down. 30% into this book and nothing much is happening.
When I picked it back up it was a slow read up until 50% into the book.
The last 50% moved much better.
Martin Hill
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean Dillon is a bad man. A very bad man. A former IRA gunman, Dillon now hires himself out as an assassin to any terrorist group or intelligence agency with enough money to meet his price. In this Jack Higgins' thriller, Eye of the Storm, the man meeting Dillon's price is Saddam Hussein, Iraq's embattled dictator besieged by an international Coalition of countries during 1991's Operation Desert Storm.

Hussein wants to lash out beyond his country's borders to show the Coalition he can strike at w
Danny M
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Higgins The story is very interesting. The story is written in typical Jack Higgins format. It is a novel about an IRA hit man Sean Dillion who goes public for hire. The story is very fast paced and easy to read. The book is one in a series featuring the villain Sean Dillion who becomes a very likeable character. The name of the books in the Sean Dillion series are listed below. It seems all the Jack Higgins novels follow a similar story line, and if you enjoy his writing style you will enj ...more
Travis Bird
Jun 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Having read The Eagle Has landed, and having my expectations high, I was amazed to discover that old Jack only had one book in him! This and several others among his efforts show a recycling of the same character types, story lines: I can't figure why he hasn't been denounced loudly for it. I read a few and came to believe I could write a Jack Higgins novel myself using his templates. Unlike Jack, I won't be so cruel. Don't bother reading anything he wrote apart from "Eagle".
Greg
Sep 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Won't read the rest in this series

Just bad. Dillon is supposed to be an elite criminal. Yet, he makes mistake after mistake. Tells everyone his plans. Fails twice.

Won't waste my time continuing this series.
Aseem Achintya
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
masterpiece. first Dillon book i read. i dont have a copy though. theres little i wouldnt do to get a library edition or even a hardback of this or its renamed version: Midnight Man.
Gayle Noble
Very much your average spy thriller, I didn't find it particularly enthralling. Hoping the series improves as it goes along.
Alice
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to be a fan of Jack Higgins, especially his WW2 thrillers & his Sean Dillon books. I've read Eye of the Storm (Book One in the Sean Dillon series) at least twice all the way through, and have gone back and skipped around re-reading my favorite parts several times. Eye of the Storm focuses on the real life mortar attack on 10 Downing Street on Feb, 7, 1991, mixing facts & real people with the fictional characters & what might have happened leading up to the attack.

I do like som
Jared
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel that introduced Sean Dillon as a character. The author paints a picture of him as a truly evil person who cares not who he kills or who he works for. Fast-paced with lots of action. The author portrays Sean's language and acting abilities, something which is not emphasized later in the series. His survival at the end strongly hints he will return as a character. A great opening to a character who will become something more.
Chatgemini
It is written like a true thriller and is an easy and exciting read. But unlike " The Eagle has Landed", it lacks the edge that would have made it into a masterpiece. However, the main character - Sean Dillon though an assassin has been crafted into an endearing person.
John
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How many characters were killed? I lost count.
Scott Turnbull
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the master Higgins, expect no less than quality.
Andrew
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
action adventure, the main character shows his true colours within the first few pages.
ron harris
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read

Typical Higgins/Dillon with Dillon still the bad one.
A good easy read that keeps one entertained.
Well worth a look.
James Christensen
Clean, entertaining, not the same calibre as Clancy or Brown, but kept me reading.
Gary Black
Good book overall. Interesting that the main character is a bad guy. I will definitely read more in the series.
Peter Charleston
Interesting outlook on what might have happened.
Jackie Brody
Not a fan.

I have liked Higgins work before but this was trite and predictable and more than a little bit sexist and old fashioned. Sorry.
Michael McArthur
Ok book. Easy read and a good twist at the end.
Victor Vilchiz
given that there are more Sean Dillon books you had to expect the ending... but yeah it sucks when they get away with it.
George K.
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Τρίτο βιβλίο του Τζακ Χίγκινς που διαβάζω, από τα πάρα πολλά που έχω στη βιβλιοθήκη μου. Πρόκειται για το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς με ήρωα τον Σον Ντίλον, έναν μικρόσωμο αλλά δυναμικό πολεμιστή του IRA που τώρα δουλεύει σαν επαγγελματίας δολοφόνος. Πρόκειται σαφώς για έναν αντιήρωα που δεν μπορείς να τον συμπαθήσεις ιδιαίτερα, αλλά ούτε και να τον αντιπαθήσεις πολύ.

Στο πρώτο βιβλίο, λοιπόν, βρισκόμαστε στο 1991, όπου ο πόλεμος του Κόλπου είναι ακόμα στις αρχές του, με τον Ντίλον να αναλαμβάνει μ
Ed
#1 in the Sean Dillon series. Brigadier Charles Ferguson heads Section 4, "the Prime Minister's private army". For many of the books in this series (at this writing, #21 Rain on the Dead (2014) is the latest), Sean Dillon is Ferguson's chief agent. But in the 1992 series debut, Ferguson is attempting to capture Dillon. On the eve of the Gulf War, the ex-IRA gunman has taken a contract from the Iraqis to make a political statement against Great Britain or America. A quick attempt against ex-PM Ma ...more
Angus Whittaker
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Sean Dillon (the protagonist of this series)is a really interesting, dynamic character. He appears to be relatively normal in personality - just a little, quiet man who likes tea - but he's really a hardened killer who has worked for just about every terrorist organization on the map. Despite his mercenary terrorism, Dillon is actually a likeable guy - but so is Brigadier Ferguson, Martin Brosnan, and the others who are trying to hunt Dillon down. This provides a very interesting dilemma for the ...more
Oni
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A fast food book. Actually I read this book just because I get bored, and I want I light snack. And that's what I get. A light snack.

The story is about a hit man, ex IRA enforcer, Sean Dillon. After disassociating with IRA, he became a hired gun, for anyone who can afford him. The background of the story is the First Gulf War, during Bush Senior administration. He was hire by Saddam Hussein regime to make a big hit, big enough to startle the West.

The story is quick-paced, you can read it without
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7)
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • The Deceiver
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • The Cry of the Halidon
  • When Eight Bells Toll
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • The Apocalypse Watch
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • The Moscow Vector (Covert-One, #6)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Mexico Set (Bernard Samson, #2)
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning