Start by marking “Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives” as Want to Read:
Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives

Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  648 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Who are the men committing the rising number of serial homicides in the U.S. -- and why do they kill? The increase in these violent crimes over the past decade has created an urgent need for more and better information about these men: their crime scene patterns, violent acts, and above all, their motivations for committing these shocking and repetitive murders.

This author
Published June 1st 1995 by Free Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Sexual Homicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sexual Homicide

Zach Fortier
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have used this as a reference for many cases I worked and to educate others. Ressler wrote the book on serial killers and understanding patterns. This book is a must in your library if you are a cop or want to be a cop, or perhaps just want to understand what is really going on at crime scenes and not watch police procedural cop shows that are no where near reality. I Highly recommend all of Resslers works
Monzy S
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Robert Ressler is my idol, he is a pioneer in behavioral analysis and criminal profiling and a very intelligent, fascinating man, great writer as well. The book is so interesting and educational!
Rachel
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My morbid infatuation with true crime and criminology has always been driven by a few key questions: who, how, and why. I have a few stand outs: intriguing individuals about whom I devour everything that I can find. I do not know what I am looking for, but I will know it when I see it. This book went a long way to sate my curiosity.

My first pleasant surprise was to find that the work is a novel length research article: perhaps my favorite nonfiction format. My first disappointment was to find th
C.E. Case
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A seminal work for sure. Dry, but fascinating. Includes chapters on victimology and how to protect yourself against rape.
Bec
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: macabre
It was good but more of a textbook than a sit down and read it type of book, I also found I knew a lot of the information already from reading a lot of other true crime
Lightreads
A compilation of multi-authored journal articles from the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin and other sources, discussing various facets of sexual homicide and tracking the statistical results of a thirty-six person offender interview study. The book is intended for law enforcement officers and legal professionals, and the topics range from offender characteristics to crime classifications to post-offense behavior to recommended interview techniques, the role of the sketch artist in an investigation, ...more
Betsy Ashton
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought this for research, because I write about serial killers. I don't write about sexual killers, so I didn't know much about what makes them tick. This book lays out motives, psychological behavior, etc. of a series of rapists who murdered their victims. All of the killers were in prison and agreed to participate in the study.

The book is well written and well researched. It is dated, however, because it was printed in 1992. Thus, the crime scene investigation techniques, reliance on DNA ana
James
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: True crime readers and writers
Sexual Homicide: Paterns and Motives is an excellent source for any investigator or person in need of information on processes of the killers mind. The book looks at the psychology of the offenders as well as the physical aspects identifying different types of offenders.
If you use or like this book Crime Classification Manual: A Standard System for Investigating and Classifying Violent Crimes is a must have as well.
Nat
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
While the authors have done much for the field, they aren't without their professional faults, which includes their research. I'm left wondering what happened to the journal article that was submitted based on this book, after it was rejected by the reviewers?
Sue
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I read this book for a criminal investigative analysis class. Very interesting.
Christine Marie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one to keep on the shelf for any professional in forensic psych work.
Tiffany
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this for a project when I was in school for my bachelors and I must tell you it makes you think. I mean I know the world has sick people but this book makes it very clear.
Mark
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great research tool for novelists - I will buy this
Chalcedony Wyllie
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was quite good. I recommend it to anyone who loves to read about the true works behind shows such as Criminal Minds or Stalker
Johann Manstein
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the real meat of some of the homicide studies
Lee Howard
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Because it's research-heavy, this was a bit dry. And the subject matter is disturbing. But it was fascinating and helpful to me in writing about a protagonist who's a killer.
Jess Funk
couldn't put it down both times I read it!
Russ
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the early definitive books on sexual homicide patterns and the begining of FBI profiling methods in linking serial crimes.
Liz
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it was very insightful and informative.
Teddie Pearson
Fg6hhh
Apr 02, 2018
Robert Cassman
Nov 23, 2014
  • Crime Classification Manual: A Standard System for Investigating and Classifying Violent Crimes
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide and the Criminal Mind
  • Predators: Pedophiles, Rapists, And Other Sex Offenders
  • Signature Killers
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Profilers: Leading Investigators Take You Inside The Criminal Mind
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • The Anatomy of Evil
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • Death Scenes: A Homicide Detective's Scrapbook
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • Lustmord: The Writings and Artifacts of Murderers

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99