Start by marking “H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)” as Want to Read:
H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)

H is for Homicide

(Kinsey Millhone #8)

H IS FOR HUSTLER…

When PI Kinsey Millhone's good friend and colleague Parnell Perkins is found murdered in the parking lot behind California Fidelity Insurance, she can't believe he had any enemies. The only clue that raises a red flag for Kinsey is one of Parnell's files on a Bibianna Diaz, who appears to have made a lucrative career out of scamming insurance companies wit
Published June 23rd 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about H is for Homicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H is for Homicide

James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4 of 5 stars to H is for Homicide, the 8th book in the "Kinsey Millhone" mystery series, written in 1991 by Sue Grafton. Grafton hits another home run in the series with this installment, focusing on the death of one of Kinsey's friends. It kicks off an investigation into insurance fraud claims, where Kinsey goes undercover to determine if a woman tricked Kinsey's friend Paul into the insurance game, ultimately leading to his own death. But Kinsey's in for a shock when she's arres
Phrynne
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
For the first part of H is for Homicide I was applauding the author for changing her normal pattern. After all, eight books into the series a little change would be refreshing I thought.

By the middle of the book I was constantly checking that this was indeed Kinsey Millhone I was reading about and not Vic Warshawski. I often find similarities between these two characters but Kinsey is normally never as rash or as careless of her own safety. Going undercover without a wire or any other immediate
Jilly
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A book about insurance fraud? Count me in! Please make sure to tell me all of the details and leave nothing out. Fascinating stuff, for sure!

Yes, here's the dirty little secret -insurance companies are out to make money. *gasp* They aren't on your side. *double gasp* The adjusters who get away with paying out the least amount in claim money get raises, promotions, and bonuses. *gasps so hard that I passed out for a minute*

Yeah, so the location of Kinsey's office space is inside an insurance comp
Julie
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
H is for Homicide by Sue Grafton is a 1991 Ballantine Books publication.

To me, this story was a little strange. I understood the insurance fraud storyline, and the scam was one used a lot in the 1980’s, so it’s believable, but the characters and the dialogue were odd, and Kinsey did not behave in the way she ordinarily does.

Not my favorite in this series. I hope the next book gets back on track.

2 stars
Skye
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful book by Sue Grafton is written when she was, in my opinion, at her best. Her books have evolved over time, but one of her most endearing qualities was to create her protagonist, Kinsey Millhone. Despite being a master of crime novels, Grafton is also extremely witty and her descriptions of Kinsey's merry band of neighbors is hilarious and entertaining. Grafton does well with setting and characters.
Fiona
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
The Kinsey Millhone series has sadly come to an end at Y with the recent death of Sue Grafton. So much for my plans, and those of countless others, to read from A-Z.

H is as formulaic as those I’ve already read, ie significant event at the start followed by a long, slow build up of tension (cleverly achieved with detailed descriptions of unnecessary people or settings but which you think you have to read in case you miss an important detail) until we reach the final explosive chapters, usually f
Obsidian
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
So though I have been re-reading some of the books along with Moonlight Reader, I have not re-did my reviews, I just reblogged them and left it to that. This is my first review for a Kinsey Millhone ABC book since Sue Grafton passed away. I love this series and will be forever sad we will not get to see how she would have ended things with Kinsey in Z.

That said, "H is for Homicide" doesn't work that well. The first part with Kinsey investigating a possible insurance scam while running afoul of
Natalie
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Normally, I really enjoy Sue Grafton's alphabet mystery books and finish them up rather quickly. This one felt like it dragged on forever. The form was different with this novel- and while I do appreciate the fact that Grafton thought to shake things up a bit, I was not happy with the direction she chose to take. I much rather would have read about Kinsey doing research, running and making sandwiches instead of being thrown undercover in an insurance fraud ring throughout 3/4 of the book. I don' ...more
Deborah Markus
In lieu of the review I don't have time to write because the library police are breathing down my neck and I don't want to piss them off again, here is an anecdote related to the book.

Me: Oh, my God! I haven't heard that in years!

My 17-year-old son: What?

Me: Here. Tell me if you can figure out what this last word means from context. (clears throat) "Bibianna lent me some jeans, a T-shirt, and some tennies."

Son: Um, nope.

Me: I feel very old all of a sudden.

Read this series if you like mysteries t
Darren
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from my local library. I found like the other ones so far in this series that it is full of action/adventure. It was like the others so far a book worth reading. A side note on this review that this book is my 500th book on my read list since I signed up for good reads site in January of 2012.
Denise
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Good read, memorable characters, interesting case of insurance fraud.
Darinda
Kinsey Millhone is back, and still working insurance fraud cases. This case involves Kinsey going undercover and working with the police in Los Angeles to expose an insurance fraud ring.

The 8th book in the Kinsey Millhone series. While a murder does take place at the beginning of the book, the main story is about insurance fraud. I found it to be slower-paced than some of the other books in this series. So far, this was my least favorite Kinsey Millhone book.

I listened to an audio version of th
Mark Baker
Over the last couple of months, Kinsey has become friends with Parnell, an investigator at California Fidelity. So, she is shocked when Parnell is shot in the parking lot. With no leads, the case begins to fade, and even Kinsey is given a new case to investigate Bibianna for potential insurance fraud. Her plan is to get close to Bibianna and confirm the fraud, but Bibianna has secrets that complicate Kinsey’s plans. What will happen next?

This book starts well with an interesting first half, but
Beverley
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People looking for a new mystery series
I've just discovered Sue Grafton. The protagonist, Kinsey Millhone, is the only convincing INTJ female I've ever found in literature, which, IMO, is quite an achievement.

Grafton's plots are usually interesting and have another element which is rare. The plots are from a woman's pov and show how just the fact of being a female detective inherently changes the flow of events in ways that a male author can't really understaqnd, and so can't generate in his own stories (e.g. Robert Parker's 'Sunny R
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. It was a different sort of a case with Kinsey trying to nail an insurance fraud ring. I did miss some of the regular characters (and Kinsey did too). As always excellent story telling.
Charlotte Smith
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off slow the only downside is the action happens either in the middle or right at the end of the book.
Alondra
3 Stars

The circumstances of Kinseys little adventure, seemed far-fetched for insurance fraud. I understood the danger of the criminal; but for her to be in that position would have been a flippin' "No Go" for me. Especially with the ending and who all was involved. It makes sense, but it didn't and it bothered me the whole time I read it. A bad guy is off the street, so its all good. Right?

Whatever. It was okay.
meg
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I've noticed a lot of people did not like this particular Kinsey Millhone novel, and I can understand why. It's not the typical Millhone mystery loyal fans are used to. However, I have to politely agree to disagree and say this is my favorite one so far. Kinsey isn't stuck doing the mundane PI work we're used to seeing her do, but instead she's working undercover, something I hope she does more of during the course of this series. This book is slow in parts, but not enough to slow any of it down ...more
Beverly
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, a-to-y-reread
Least favorite book so far...the main storyline focuses on insurance fraud, which was kind of a yawn. There weren’t any likeable characters other than Kinsey, and I felt myself annoyed/appalled with just about everybody else.

Soldiering on to I.
Linda
Another great romp with Kinsey Milhone. This time she stumbles across a very strange type of crime where the criminals deliberately cause accidents in order to claim the insurance money. Kinsey is hired free lance to try to discover the culprits.

These novels by Sue Grafton are always enjoyable and its my eventual goal to read them all.
Debra Barstad
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good book by Sue Grafton. Kinsey is one of my favorite characters so will be continuing on with the series.
Melliott
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Whoa! Grafton really stepped it up in this one. The tension ratcheted up from the minute Milhone went undercover, and kept escalating until the last page.
Quenya
So I pointed out in my last review that I prefer Kinsey working on her own and that is exactly what you get with H is for Homicide. This book went very fast for me as compared to the other books. I think because the story is confined to such a narrow point once Kinsey goes undercover. Yep, that’s right Kinsey is undercover and unable to break cover without risking not her life but the lives of some of those around her
Even though the story spans from Santa Theresa to Los Angeles, Grafton does a
Linda Klinedinst
I dearly love this book...this mystery story keeps you on your toes the whole time you are reading it from Day One to the very end of the story. This mystery is a very intense mystery story and it is so very good.

I give this book 5/5 Stars here on Goodreads. I would highly recommend this whole Series which is the Alphabet Mystery Series by Sue Grafton.

I have read A through H now in this Series and every Book that I have Read is really good.

Here are the Books so far that I have read in this Se
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Totally readable, good plot and one-liners, but probably won't re-read. Not sure I buy the main character as an ex-cop, though she is quick on instincts and observation. The villain is certifiably psycho, complete with an Abandoning Mother complex plus the 'afterward' remorse of a continual manipulative abuser. Knew that the bad guy's right-hand man was an undercover cop, but no premonitions for Jimmy Tate or the marriage; Grafton is good at preventing predictability.

Good quotes:
1. "His smile wa
Em
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: X
Scoats
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
After really liking all the Sue Grafton novels I've read, this one was a disappointment. So many issues. In no particular order:

- While H may be for Homicide, the story is about car insurance fraud. Sure there is a Homicide, two actually, but the story isn't concerned with solving the mysterious one.

- Insurance fraud scams of the early 1990s are an interesting change from the usual for a mystery novel, but it didn't make for riveting reading.

- While under 200 pages, this book is flabby. It's l
Karen
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
First half is boring, all about insurance stuff. Kinsey is not that witty, just spends her time working at the office, then a murder in the parking lot seems to be a big story, but doesn't get any attention until the last chapters of the book. Then our Kinsey gets herself into a real mess, in jail for a night with a crazy person, then she follows said crazy person and friends to LA for several days where she seems content to be a pseudo-prisoner. Really? She would do that? And she finds a gun th ...more
Stephanie
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first book in the series to fall back a notch in my opinion. A lot of changes occur here as Kinsey gets involved in a case very close to home and ends up losing something that has been a comfort for her, but the story itself is a little flat and the stereotypes hurt the characters.

This is not a "bad" book, just not up to the level of the previous novels. This is not a new phenomenon. Every author I have read more than six novels by have a book or even a series that is not as good as
Woody Chandler
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It only took me a day to read this one, indicative of its being a bit more riveting than some of the previous alphabetic entries. I liked how it broke away from the more formulaic plots of the previous books and put our prissy heroine in a setting well out of her comfort zone. I recently read Hiassen's "Razor Girl", which was also about insurance fraud, so it made for a good follow-up. I am just going to keep plowing through this series.
Alphabet Murders: H 1 2 May 07, 2017 01:43PM
The Women's Myste...: H is for Homicide 1 7 Aug 09, 2013 09:24PM

• Dead Midnight
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
Sue Grafton was a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She is best known for her “alphabet series” featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Prior to success with this series, she wrote screenplays for television movies. Her earlier novels include Keziah Dane (1967) and The Lolly-Madonna War (1969), both out of print. In the book Kinsey and ...more

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
“The tricky part of any lie is trying to figure out how you'd behave if you were innocent.” 1 likes
“The problem with real life is there’s no musical score. In movies, you know you’re in danger because there’s an ominous chord underlining the scene,” 1 likes