Start by marking “Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)” as Want to Read:
Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)

Dead Deceiver

(A Loon Lake Mystery #11)

It's late January in Loon Lake and bodies abound: a woman on snowshoes has been discovered wedged under a wooden bridge on a cross-country ski trail. A day later, Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris interviews a couple who alleges that the wife, a former nun, is being stalked. Meanwhile, Loon Lake is hosting an International Ice Fishing Festival with problems.
Published February 1st 2011 by Gallery Books (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Deceiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Deceiver

Start your review of Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
A Book Vacation
I picked this book up, on a whim, because of the cover. I didn’t note that it's the 11th book in a series, nor did I really read the synopsis. I’m not going to lie, sometimes I’m moved to buy based on the cover alone. I mean it. If you can create a beautiful, enticing cover, you’re going to grab my attention, and I’m probably going to buy. I’m that impulsive. But, that aside… I found, upon reading the novel, and it doesn’t matter that it’s the 11th book in a series, it’s a standalone novel, and ...more
LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dollycas 19s Thoughts
This has been one of my favorites series but the last one, Dead Renegade was not the author 19s best and I left this one on the shelf. When I needed just one more book to complete by Wisconsin Author/Setting I picked it up and I so glad I did. I don 19t know much about fly fishing but I sure do like reading about it. My grandfather was quite a fisherman and stories like this bring forth great memories.

I love Lew, Doc Osborne, and Ray Pradt. In this installm
Renee
Just when I thought I might have exhausted what I enjoy from Kindle Unlimited (and was saving my last Jefferson Tayte mysteries), I discovered the world of Loon Lake with its colorful but kind citizenry. I find the mysteries just complicated enough to keep me interested and always have sympathy for the poor crime victims. Doc, Ray & Lew are great companions for a rainy weekend of grading papers! (Mild language, no gratuitous descriptions)

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen
Eileen Lynx
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good story. I like how the author added new information to the back stories of the characters.
LORI CASWELL
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Dollycas’s Thoughts
This has been one of my favorites series but the last one, Dead Renegade was not the author’s best and I left this one on the shelf. When I needed just one more book to complete by Wisconsin Author/Setting I picked it up and I so glad I did. I don’t know much about fly fishing but I sure do like reading about it. My grandfather was quite a fisherman and stories like this bring forth great memories.

I love Lew, Doc Osborne, and Ray Pradt. In this installment th
Debra
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Victoria Houston's Loon Lake mystery series is proof positive that a person need have nothing in common with the characters or setting to enjoy the books. I am not a dentist like the protagonist, nor do I enjoy fishing (just eating the catch!) Nonetheless, I have enjoyed spending time with these folks for years as they keep their small Wisconsin town safe from the razzbonyas. (Is that really a word outside of these books? If not, it should be.) Her strength lies in the memorable characters she c ...more
IslandRiverScribe
Kathy Beltner starts out alone to do a multi-mile snowshoe hike on a park trail only hours before dark, with snow falling and her cell phone left behind in her car. When she lets her mind wander to personal problems and gets off the main trail, she decides to play Daniel Boone through the woods instead of backtracking her steps to the known trail. And then the consequences of all these poor choices rain down on her head. She comes upon a well-lit, homey cabin occupied by a grisly bearded squatte ...more
Teri Pre
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
The story was better, but for the first half of the book, it seemed that that characters didn't behave in character. Also, the formatting of the ebook was terrible. There were so many and so few quotation marks that I half the time, I couldn't tell who was saying what. I'm going to give this series one more chance, but that's it.
Judee
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another clever mystery with my favorite characters; Doc,Lew and Ray. In this episode as in all the books in this series, a few new people enter the Loon Lake Community. Who are the good ones and who are the evil ones? A touch of humor helps you with these endearing characters.kindle Unlimited
Annie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A most excellent 5 star read! I don't fish, I don't live in WI but, I do live in MN and I've spent most of my summers "up nort" so I love the feel of these books, the language and mostly the characters!
aprilla
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
enjoy the series and the narration
Wendy Gustofson
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I've become attached to the characters even though the plot lines aren't riveting. Just picked up another and I'm not going in order. Good, fast summer reads.
Lynne Fort
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
You can always count on Victoria Houston to deliver a fun, satisfying mystery with characters it's basically impossible not to like, and this book is no exception.
Irina
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite type of book to read is a murder mystery and I was hopeful after reading the synopsis. It started off pretty good, but began to unravel after just a few chapters. There are way too many characters that are unnecessary making the story cluttered and cumbersome. The story shifts to computer crimes and the same type of sentence starts to repeat every few paragraphs, the hackers are spamming your system, the students are clicking on the links, the spammers are making millions of dollars, ...more
Mark
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
It took a bit for me to get interested in the story but the book became rather hard to put down once I got through about the first 50 pages. A reader may feel a little overwhelmed by the number of characters that are presented all at once towards the beginning without having read the others in the series. This was the first one that I picked up and I did find that the characters were well developed and that the story was quite self-contained. There is an interesting blend of fishing and mystery ...more
Jeri Mihm
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
brand new-to-me author - picked up the book on Amazon Kindle this week and immediately dove into it.

I like the characters - middle-aged police chief Lew and her retired dentist "boyfriend/deputy". Nice change from the usual grizzled cops. It takes place during the winter in Wisconsin - a snow-shoer is murdered and found on a hiking trail. As they begin to investigate, a wealthy resident reports a possible stalking, which stretches the small police department thin, just as they are preparing sec
Dale Safford
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I had to start reading this book twice - it didn't quite catch me the first time. Although the dialogue moves along pretty smoothly, I can't quite fully attach to the characters. Love the local setting, though!

It's late January at Loon Lake, with a International Ice Fishing Festival going on, and wacky-but-lovable Ray Pradt trying for a spot on reality TV. Police Chief Lew Ferris and Doc Osborne are busy enough with the activities in town, and are called out to investigate a missing
Virginia Serna
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Ms Houston presents a wonderful picture of the Wisconsin Lake country in the winter. She creates an atmosphere in which the reader can feel the chill of the atmosphere that the characters are in.

She creates a modern story that has you learning much about cyber crime as the characters. Her characters are real and they engage you into their lives and concerns. The story is one of a continuing series but has just enough back story to give the characters depth with out bogging you down in details o
Jane Blanchard
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Dead Deceiver by Victoria Houston is part of the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery series. A woman is killed while snowshoeing, and the plots and subplots make for an interesting who-done-it. Ms. Houston provides sufficient background information about the characters and their relationships to make the book stand individually and make it enjoyable. She weaves in information about fly fishing and snowmobiling without becoming pedantic or boring. The grammatical errors and word omissions annoyed me, but t ...more
Mike
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the latest of Victoria Houston's "Loon Lake Mystery" series. This edition suffers a bit from poor proofreading (which marred it for me). I like her regular characters a lot: Doc Osborne is a retired dentist who helps his girlfriend Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris solve crimes. The setting is a lake area in Northern Wisconsin. The plot, although somewhat predictable, contains enough action to prevent readers from putting it down. Satisfying read for those who enjoy the series.
Klaudyna Z.
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
I was kind of disappointed with this book. It was well written and kept me interested but I felt like the description of it was misleading. I thought that I was going to be reading about a murder mystery, but instead, that took a backseat to the stalking case. I felt like even though it was all connected in the end, there was just too much going on and there were too many characters. I just wasn't happy with the story in the end.
Lorlee
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snowshoer is murdered. Then the hermit is murdered. It is the brother of the guy who married the awkward head of the tech school who is into credit card fraud. As with most of these tales, the bad guy meets with a bad end --this time drowning with his snowmobile.

Doc, Lew and Ray are fun characters
Rosalie
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2011
Victoria Houston certainly knows her subject. Every detail of the northwoods that she wrote about, she knew about and it was very obvious. I liked the story, but am not quite sure that it really came together in the end or at least the way I would have liked. The explanation seemed a little weak, but I really liked the getting to that point.
Erik Orrantia
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the scenario and the various crimes being handled at once. At times I got confused between the many characters, in part because I often read while I was sleepy, but I might have appreciated more hints by the author as to who they were. The major plot issue regarding murder came to a very abrupt, anti-climactic ending. Also, the editing was shotty--lots of missing words.
Susan
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
It's really cold in Wisconsin, so naturally police chief Lew and her significant other Doc Osborne are concerned when a snow-shoer goes missing. The town of Loon Lake is on the eve of an international ice fishing contest and both the local police and the sheriff are understaffed. Then the head of the local technical college comes in to say that she is being stalked.
Roxann
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally the book came out. I pre-ordered this book and kept getting email that it was postponed. I wasn't sold on her last book, Dead Renegade, it wasn't well written in my opinion. This book however was great. All the regular characters (Lew, Doc Osborne, Ray Pradt) become involved with a shooting tied to a stalker and email hacker. The story moves quickly.
Doug
Aug 10, 2011 added it
A woman's body with snowshoes was discovered wedged under a wooden bridge. Then the daughter of a former Loon Lake business man claims she is being stalked and an international fishing festival is going on. Inspector Lewellyn Ferris must determine what is happening before someone else is murdered. A quick read but better than most TV.
John
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was a tough read. Every page introduced more characters. Most would be irrelevant to the story. The grammatical errors and misspellings throughout the book had me wondering if it was even proofread or edited. Just a couple examples, "solumn" and "Leininkugel."
Jackie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was interesting, but the ending was a little blah. The ending also just tied everything up so neatly so quickly it was like you read the whole book to figure the ending out and it just ended in the matter of 9 pages? could have used a little more drama and mystery!
Sue
I would read another 'Loon Lake mystery.' Liked the location of minnesota, gave insight into area. Murder mystery with Lew, the local law enforcement and other interesting characters. Was at times redundant, but an easy read.

• Secrets We Keep (Callaways Cousins #6 & Callaways #14)
  • Cold Wind (Joe Pickett, #11)
  • Hundred-Dollar Baby (Spenser, #34)
  • Below Zero (Joe Pickett, #9)
  • A Death in Eden (Sean Stranahan #7)
  • Rough Weather (Spenser, #36)
  • Now & Then (Spenser, #35)
  • The Shaming Eyes (A Nick Drake Novel Book 3)
  • Free Fire (Joe Pickett, #7)
  • Nowhere To Run (Joe Pickett, #10)
  • The Turquoise Lament (Travis McGee #15)
  • Finding Positano, A Love Story
  • The Hope Diamond (A Sweet, Delicious, Madness Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Spring's Promises
  • Cold Service (Spenser, #32)
  • But Not Foreboding (Clint Wolf Mystery #12)
  • Mountain Angel (Northstar Angels, #1)
  • Summer Angel (Northstar Angels, #2)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)