Start by marking “Walking Wisdom: Three Generations, Two Dogs, and the Search for a Happy Life” as Want to Read:
Walking Wisdom: Three Generations, Two Dogs, and the Search for a Happy Life

Walking Wisdom: Three Generations, Two Dogs, and the Search for a Happy Life

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
As far back as he can remember, every day of his life someone has asked Gotham Chopra what it was like to have Deepak Chopra as a father. They wanted to know if Gotham is a master practitioner of the Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, whether he is in Perfect Health, if he meditates all day--in short, if he lives the perfect spiritual life. The answer is no. Gotham likes to ...more
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published October 5th 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Walking Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking Wisdom

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Gotham Chopra, the son of Deepak Chopra, shares what he has learned through the ownership of his crazy dog, Cleo, and becoming a father for the first time. He also deepens his relationship with his own father when his mother has to spend an extended time away in India.

It's a hodgepodge of a book with the themes differing from chapter to chapter. I generally enjoyed it but felt like it was a bit scattered.

I remembered Gotham from all of the Channel One news I watched during junior high and high s
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I absolutely loved it. I was so touched by so many pieces of insight throughout the book that I often found tears in my eyes. It rates up there with Eat, Pray, Love. I highly recommend it.
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet memoir. A fun mix of family, Indian culture and dogs! Like my daughter said, "Mom! That book was made for you!" Yup.
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars
I guess my story is much like Bruna Mikami's... A friend of mine gave me this book knowing how much I love animals. I had no idea what it was about and had never heard about the Chopra family. So I too was expecting a story about a dog's life and all the important lessons we can learn from them (and probably that was what my friend thought she was giving me lol). And although this is indeed one of the themes in the book, it turned out to be much more about the Chopra's and their lives. I
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I seem to be in the minority in my opinion of this book, but I think I expected something bigger and more substantive than I got from this book experience. There were brief moments of wisdom that resonated with me, but overall it felt like a book that existed because of the cache of the author's family name, rather than a book with true merit of it's own. Thinking that perhaps I read the book too quickly, I additionally listened to it on audio, but to my horror, the book was WORSE when read by t ...more
Bruna Mikami
My friend gave me this book because he knows how much I love dogs. I thought it was meant to teacher us about the dog behaviour, their lessons for us, what can we learn having dogs, etc. But it turned out being a journey of the Chopras' life and philosophy. It's not a bad book, but as it is not what I expected, I never finished it. But if the person likes, it can be quite interesting because of the moral issuea.
Elly Sands
I found this book in the remainder section of a local bookstore. I like Deepak Chopra. I like his scientific approach to spirituality. I like his son Gotham who wrote this book and his open, honest and humorous way of talking. The relationship between father and son is interesting to read about. Gotham's dog "Cleo" seemed to be the real guru in everyone's life. This is a good look at a very close family. I wish this book was more popular because it has many important and valid things to say.
Patrick Hanlon
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a dog about walking more so than dogs but despite that surprise I was not disappointed. It is a pleasant read, perhaps a serendipitous reminder that it's the Year of the Dog.

The younger Chopra offers a memoir of his relationship with the dog he and his wife have had together for about a dozen years and an eventful summer in his family's life. Apart from unexpected insights about his father and the surprises he reveals about the normalcy of a guru's son, the book is a paean to th
Ann Libra
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just beautiful!!! Son Gothram writes about his meanderings through life with his famous father as they walk the dog, and in the process, his father awakens to an understanding and appreciation of dogs, children, and his own grandchildren. A beautiful rendition of a man discovering his heart after spending his entire life in his head.
Well written, humorous, and the audio version is recorded by Gotham.
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, dogs, spiritual
This book starts out in a way I cannot disagree with- Gotham discusses his absolute obsession with getting a dog when he was younger. His parents relent and he gets an awesome dog. The dog is wonderful, affects everyone in his own way, grows old and dies. This dogs story is more of a prologue than the meat of the story because, as an adult he gets a second dog which he shares with his girlfriend (who later becomes his wife) and we see the transition from college students, to married couple, to d ...more
Cassandra Hawkins
Yesterday, I signed up for a library card in Madison County. That was long overdue. I really don't know why it has taken me so long to go to the library. I also picked up my first audiobook, "Cinnamon Kiss," written by Walter Mosley.

I finished my first audiobook today. The name of the book was "Walking Wisdom," written by Gotham Chopra. He is the son of a "guru," Deepak Chopra. I did not know this before checking out the audiobook and downloading the audiobook from the Madison County Library. Ye
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book especially parts about the dogs... would have been more enjoyable without the swearing, which wasn't even all that bad, (occasional "sh_t" thrown in), until the very end when he throws in the whole "F" bomb while quoting another person. I don't understand what the purpose of doing that is. I had invested all this time to read his book, and at the very end he spoils it all. He had used the term "F-ing" a couple of times through the book, which I can get through, but why throw in th ...more
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by the son of bestselling author Deepak Chopra, who I greatly admire. It gives a glance into the family life of his extended family, focusing mainly on a dog named Cleo and all the amazing lessons about life and the pursuit of happiness that we can learn from our canine friends.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and the reminders it gave me to enjoy life for what it is instead of always seeking something more. It's a great book about remaining present instead of getting cau
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Having read/listened to Deepak Chopra, I thought it would be interesting to listen to his son: the title appealed to me too. I was not disappointed, and thoroughly enjoyed 'Walking Wisdom'. What a wonderful bunch of people the Chopra family/extended family are. I like the sound of these two Mr Chopras' Voices, and the way they both speak too (only Gotham narrates this one, not his dad ;) ) - I even like the way Gotham's voice often goes up at the end of a sentence, and not necessarily when it's ...more
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog owners
Shelves: audiobooks
Don't have a dog, but have been wanting one. All the revelations/reflections of owning a dog make me want a dog even more than before. An interesting approach to remembering and reflecting on the wisdom gained from owning a dog -- which unfortunately I can't relate to, but would like to. Good stories and memories tied more to the history of a dog rather than humans. Even a mention of Michael Jackson, who was a friend of Gotham Chopra. If you have a dog ( or are a dog fan) this is a book you will ...more
Holly Booms Walsh
A sweet and humble book of musings on fatherhood, having a famous father, family bonds, life , and the bonding you do with your dog. Full of endearing stories of a big extended family, this is a sentimental, reflective read. Bonus coolness for the stories about Michael Jackson, a personal friend of Gotham's. This is an easy but positive read. Gotham doesn't try to have all the answers like his father seems to... and that's okay.
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
This book was just ok for me. I did like the message that there's a lot to be learned from a dog, but every dog owner knows that. But it goes further and connects to consciousness and the everyday life of the Chopra family. A new concept for me was the Nadi astrologers. So I learned a few new things and that's always good.
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply put - I really enjoyed this book.

It made me laugh and it made me think. I enjoyed the converstaions between Gotham and his father, Deepak Chopra. I also enjoyed the "life lessons" that were told through the many relationships with Gotham's dog. Good book, all around.
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were lots of moments while reading this book that I stopped to really think about what was being said and how that related to me and my life. So it took a little longer to read but was worth it. It was fun to to get to see the softer more human side of Gothma's dad Deepak.
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It is a glimpse into the life of Gotham Chopra, his father, family and of course his dog. I like the normalcy of the family despite the fame of the father and of his friends. At the heart is the understanding that family is key.
I don't usually read books like this, afraid they will be too saccharine. I was pleasantly surprised in this one. Written and read by the son of Depak Chopra, it is a very human story about their family centered around the stories of their dogs. Quite enjoyed it :)
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is mundane. It is just okay. I would not tell a friend you must read this. It does have sprinkles of insight. What I really did not like was the author's tone in regards to his famous father.
Oct 27, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
an intersting read and each chapter could stand alone. And an interesting view of Gotham's famous father Deepak. Chapter seven is a reread for me and I could use it as a meditation.
A touching story about life's lessons through the eyes of a dog, a son, and a father.
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
just picked this up at the library--stay tuned....
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all. All about walking and learning from the family dog. Family is everything!
Janet Smith
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light hearted read.
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doggies
Lighthearted and inspiring.
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the relationship we have with our dogs. I enjoyed it but it really made me miss my dog. Not as sad as many of the dog/relationship books though.
Paulina Piña
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dogs are family and the lessons they teach us. Wonderful book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Secret Language of Signs
  • Who Was First?: Discovering the Americas
  • The Path: A One-Mile Walk Through the Universe
  • Energy Addict: 101 Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Ways to Energize Your Life
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
  • The Art of Presence
  • The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear
  • Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance
  • Leading with Soul: An Uncommon Journey of Spirit
  • Developing Intuition: Practical Guidance for Daily Life
  • Practical Intuition
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Gratitude: A Way of Life
  • Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Father Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • Golf for Enlightenment: The Seven Lessons for the Game of Life