Start by marking “A World of Thieves: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A World of Thieves: A Novel

A World of Thieves: A Novel

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In 1928 New Orleans, eighteen-year-old Sonny LaSalle is a top prep student and champion amateur boxer -- and he venerates his fraternal twin uncles, Buck and Russell, armed robbers who love their profession. Sonny secretly believes that he, too, is a natural outlaw and persuades his uncles to take him on as a partner. But when a bank job goes bad, Sonny is sent to jail, wh ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A World of Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World of Thieves

Rebekah Ricardo
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying Blake's fiction noir. Just like Red Grass River, I found the ending a bit disappointing. However, unlike Red Grass River, the length was much better, not too long. Blake is so gifted at making the reader feel like he or she is right there during the Roaring 20's or whatever historic period about which he's writing. He's also able to do quite well with eloquence in short, simple sentences. Looking to forward to reading more of his novels.
Chris Tucker
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A World of Thieves was a thrilling story about a young man who follows in his uncles footsteps and becomes a a world-class thief and gambler. This book has a lot of unexpected twists and turns that make it a good read. The ending is very surprising and makes the whole book worth reading.
Trey
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounded up.
Fun and well written, and the main antagonist (if he can be considered such) has only about 20 pages total but is a great character. Could have used one or two fewer heists in depth (as it bordered on redundant) but that's ok.
Jason
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last gangster genre novel of Blake's I read was Under the Skin, which was a hell of a fun ride, but was definitely a couple notches below his more literary work in Wildwood Boys and In the Rogue Blood. I'd put this book off for a while, thinking it would likely prove to be a similar fun-but-not-as-brilliant ride as Under the Skin was. As is almost always the case with Blake, I'm pleasantly surprised by this novel, because it has the gangster era good times of the old Warren Beatty-Faye Dunaw ...more
Aric
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally Blake scratched me where I itch! His writing style has always captivated me but his story telling fell a little short. Not this time. The cumulative summary of male emotions in just a couple charachters was pinpoint and dead in describing how so many of us feel over the course of a lifetime. It all finally came together perfectly in this story of greed, temptation, and emotion in the roaring twenties.
Phil
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Lots of bank robberies. No shortage of women who love them some holdup men. Lots of hearty breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Plenty of drinking. Some prison breaks. A bit of fancy driving. But not much in the way of a story. Blake has done the criminal with a heart of gold story much better in his other books--like Red Grass River.
Thomas Todd
Enjoyed World of Thieves by James Carlos Blake. Just like most of his other novels I've read, very graphic with lots of gun action and plenty of bloody injuries and deaths, mix in some disastrous fires and plenty of steamy sex and a bloodline of crime characters. Not a 5 star Blake novel but well worth the read.
Meriem
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was nothing but fast paced action, witty dialouge, and just an overall great story of a young man's sort of "coming of age", of his struggles to find himself in the world of outlaws, thievery and "easy money". I'd have to say this is definitely a favorite. The characters were wonderfully put together and were so easy to love.

Sam
Jun 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justread
Racy book...Jail, Thieves, Sex, and Bad Jokes...kinda cool period book, but some of the language seemed rather modern...perhaps I just didn't realize "poontang" was a 1920's and 30's slang word...was the author trying to be hip? or am I just ignorant?...we may never know...
Kit Fox
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why didn't anybody tell me that Elmore Leonard and Jim Thompson fathered a wayward child by the name of James Carlos Blake? Think I'ma gleefully make my way through his wickedly violent oeuvre with relish.
Jon Mattson
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book was very good. Not only a book about crime, also a book about love. Written very well, worded as it would have been in the time period that it is about. Good read, that is easy to g
et through.
Pankaj Verma
a big bore.
starts off well and is fast paced and so hook you up. But as it progresses it falters off with no coherency In revenge motive and continuous robbing done by 3 fellows. ending also doesn't live upto expectation.
Lester
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Roaring 20's-era crime novel from the mind of master storyteller James Carlos Blake...simply awesome stuff!
Recommended!
Amy
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love J.C. Blake. This is another gem in awesome storytelling.
Joseph Gowen
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. The ending was perfect.
Dennis Billuni
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fast-moving and gritty tale of American outlaws from the master of the genre.
alison
rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2012
Apr 05, 2013
Judith
Jul 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
James Carlos Blake is one of the America's most highly regarded living authors of historical crime fiction. Born in Mexico, his family moved regularly when he was a child, living in various towns along the border and coast before finally settling in Texas when he was six. After a stint in the army, Blake attended the University of South Florida and received a Master's degree from Bowling Green Sta ...more
More about James Carlos Blake...
“Just because it's a world of thieves out there don't mean there ain't no rules to it.” 3 likes
“There's an old saying," Buck said. "A hundred things can go wrong in a holdup, and if you can think of fifty of them you're a damn genius.” 3 likes