Start by marking “Mars, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Mars, Vol. 1

Mars, Vol. 1

(Mars #1)

A bad boy can change a good girl forever. Rei is the school delinquent. Kira is shy and studious. What they see in each other is a mystery to their friends. What they find in each other is a miracle to themselves. With a style that is artistic and chic, this tale of restless and confused high school love will appeal to young women everywhere.

Kira and Rei might as well be f
Published April 23rd 2002 by Tokyopop (first published May 13th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mars, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mars, Vol. 1

Clair
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, manga
So... How about them bad boys?

Yes, bad boys. From what I've seen and read over the years, bad boys tend to go a little something like this:

They are aloof, coldhearted yet incredibly interested in this one girl. Authors of certain hackneyed works make their bad boys undeniably what Hollywood considers 'bad'. They smoke, they drive motorcycles, they get into fights a lot (Travis Maddox from Beautiful Disaster), they gamble (Patch Cipriano from Hush, Hush), and they consider stalking to be a perfec
Alexis
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alexis by: Courtney
My first experiences with shōjo manga were the likes of Fruits Basket and Hana Kimi. It's no wonder that I dismissed the genre as flippant, cheesy and inherently pointless. Most shōjo manga consists of impossibly handsome boys who are good at everything, girls who are vanilla wish-fulfilment devices and a plot that revolves around nothing but inexplicable instant romances.

That said, Mars has single-handedly crushed these stereotypes and restored my faith in the genre. I'm eternally grateful to C
Spira-Virgo
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested to try a romance manga.

Book: Mars Vol 1 (Mars 1#) by Fuyumi Soryo
Genre: Abuse, Coming of Age, Psychological, Coming of Age, Manga, Shojo, Romance and Gothic.
Creatures: Non, just humans it's not a fantasy XDDD
Age: Young Adult, Mature.
Pages: 200 pages.
Format: Paperback
Publication: April 23rd 2002 by Tokyopop
Final Rating: 4/5

"This is the first portrait I drew. The Model was a 17-year old boy. I titled it "Mars."
Mars Signify two things-
One is the planet,
The other is a soldier-
THE GOD OF WAR." - Fuyumi Soryo

When peopl
Arminzerella
Kira is a quiet, shy, artistic girl who never stands up for herself - not that she's needed to. Everyone pretty much ignores her. Until this bad boy on a motorcycle shows up. She hates him on principle, but then is drawn to his beauty and the tenderness that
she senses in his character (he asks to keep one of her drawings for sentimental reasons). He is lovely, and he’s devoted to protecting her from the sudden burning jealousies that arise in the bosoms of all the other girls in the school once
Cory
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, shoujo
Kind of cliched with standard shoujo art, but if you're looking for a light read, this is for you. To tell the truth, I prefer Love Roma, Volume 1. I need humor in my shoujo.

2.5 stars. I want a manga where the girl rides the motorcycle and the guy is the sensitive painter.
Gary Butler
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
27th book read in 2017.

Number 186 out of 592 on my all time book list.
Fiona
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll start off by stating that this is a review of the series, not of this one volume.

I’ve been out of the manga/anime scene for quite a long time now, but a friend recommended this one to me and I decided to give it a try. I’m so glad that I did. While Mars undeniably falls victim to a few of the classic romance manga cliches, I found it quite easy to overlook its flaws. Sure the "shy girl meets bad boy" dynamic is something that has been done before (horridly overdone, really), but it's what S
Starbubbles
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I must have been in a bitter and angsty mood lately because I was expecting there to be more angst in this. This series in almost its entirety has been in my possession for over a couple of years now. I have been avoiding it because I had known from the time I was in high school its premise and that it was more dramatic than Peach Girl. In some ways, I would have to disagree. With practically every breath, Momo was facing something else dramatic and torturous. Mars did not hold that same intensi ...more
Miriam
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, ya
Not actually anything to do with the planet Mars, and not the sort of manga I normally read. Not my preferred art style, either. I was surprised at how the characters grew on me.
Summer
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe how much I love Mars. It's your typical bad guy meets shy girl, bad boy helps girl overcome shyness, they fall in love but not without their share of problems. But it's sooo much more than that. The characters heal each other in their relationships and overcome some serious issues. I love this manga so much I have the really cheesy Taiwanese tv drama based on it. Before I nerd out any more over this series I'm just going to end by saying it's one of my favorite manga series ...more
Jessica-Robyn
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it
To get a good idea of what to expect from MARS you can check out my review of the complete series on my blog Reading Robyn It's spoiler free, has images from the manga for those interested in a preview of the art, and gives a good overview of the roller coaster that is this series.

MARS has staying power. With the strength of its plot it's not a manga easily forgotten!
Lauren
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I did not know what to make of the characters when I first started reading the series. Overtime I grew to love them and went through their ups and downs and all the drama they faced. I ended up loving the series!
Silvia  Gutierrez
5 Stars to all the series.
Read this if you haven't, forget all the Shoujo you have read before. This is a Great Drama/Plot/Romance.

This is not a light read.
Jillian
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was first getting into manga in middle school, this series was always on the shelf, and always advertised in other books I was reading. However, I was focused on collecting other series, and none of my friends had it, so I never got around to it. It's been long gone from store shelves at this point, but I was digging through some of my online manga bookmarks last night/early this morning and saw it there, so here we are.

I think Mars has a lot of typical shoujo elements to it, namely the j
Jenny Clark
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tokyopop-manga
The art is good, and the story is pretty good too. It will be interesting to see the developments in all the characters and their relationships. I do like that there is some mystery, but not enough that nothing makes sense, just enough to make you want to read more.
I also like the fact that Kira is so shy, but yet strong enough to tell Harumi to go ahead and break her right hand, she'll draw with her left, and break that too she'll draw with her feet.
It does seam a little extreme, but girls can
Rita
Just re-read this for the billionth time and it's still one of my favorite things everrrr.

Also why is this series out of print I'm cry
Neko Neha (BiblioNyan)
Mars is definitely a series for the ages. It has everything that one could possibly ask for when looking for a great romance manga series, and then some. Whether you are a sucker for gorgeous art, tight-knit plot work, or beautiful characters with dark histories, you will definitely find yourself falling in love with this series before the end of the first volume.

My experience with Fuyumi Soryo began when I picked up her psychological sci-fi series Eternal Sabbath a few years ago. ES was one of
Anonomanga
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Shelves: reviewed
The first statement I'd like to make about this manga is that it was beautiful in all regards. Story, plot, art---it was all beautiful. Romance manga isn't typically my favorite type, but a book like this one I think could renew any reader's faith in the genre.

The characters were intriguing specimens. I enjoyed Rei and could connect to Kira well. Though the trope of popular boy meets reserved, weird girl isn't new I loved the story behind MARS too much to disregard it for the cliche use. Watchin
Gaby
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a couple of years ago, my cousin Christabell introduced me to this book shes also the one who got me into manga. This book made me want to keep reading and wasting my money on buying more volumes, but it was worth it. Mars is my favorite manga book.

This book is about a girl who was sexualy abused by her step father and ends up not trusting men at all. Then one day she meets a guy who isn't like she thought all guys were. She ends having all these adventures with him then also
Maryann
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most original, and amazing mangas I have ever read. This series, made me laugh and cry to no end. I was so sad when it ended and I loved absolutely fell in love with the main characters. They grew and changed as the story progressed. There was drama, love triangles, fights, breakups, make-ups, and so much love. Everything was complicated, and wonderful all at the same time.

From beginning to end, I cheered for Rei and Kira. They're two fragile souls learning how to love and heal each o
Pauline
If I could give stars just for the art work, I would give "Mars" volume one four stars. I found the teenage angst thing way overdone and the bad boy and good girl cliché is also tiring. I mean the bad boy even rides a motorcycle, which of course the good girl has never ridden on one before she met him.

I did love the emotions shown through the art work and the story was strong enough for me to want to finish the book and continue on to read volume two. Overall I found the book too predictable and
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
Like with other mangas, I buy just the first one of a friend recommends it to me, or I read her manga. So I read her Mars vol 1, and was hooked. Since then I have bought the entire set for myself. The story of Rei and Kira is fascinating and exciting, along with some rather dramatic moments. Wonderful manga!
Nandini Pradeep J
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh how I wish that it would be adapted into a drama!
Pauline
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Review is for the entire series**

It's been probably 15 years now since I read this series for the first time. I loved it then, and I still love it today. For all the excessive drama, and overly-damaged characters, I still feel that it sits at an entirely different level to every other manga I've read. This isn't silly or funny. It isn't a classic 'comic'. It's a beautiful, wrenching look into the human psyche. The stunning artwork combined with genuine character development combine to create s
Bekah
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, favorites
(4.5)

I saw this manga all over when I was in middle school, and I'm finally checking it out.
I think I wouldn't have appreciated it then the way I do now.
It's refreshingly moody and not the (often annoying) typical fluffiness that I see in manga today (maybe cause it's the 90s and teens/attitudes were different??). Rei is perfectly imperfect, the type where I want to know more about him right away. I find myself identifying with Kira a bit too, as I was more like her when I was in school (quiet,
Meilany Lim
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Sama kok sama filmnya. But I think Drama Ver muchhh better than the Manga.

I missed Taiwanese drama like this so much :(

photo tumblr_mh974kDuLJ1s2cl2bo2_500.gif
Veronica
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't know how I feel about this manga yet since I've only read one volume so far. I like the art (it is beautiful) and the main character, though sometimes a cliché (or at least the things she experiences are ones that are fairly overused in manga series'), is still a character that I like very much. I want to see the rest of this series through, so that's all I'll say about this series so far.
Sarah Skodak
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
First read this when I was around 10-11 years old at my local public library. It pulled me in and I was desperate to read the next copy whenever it was returned. The conflicts were so unlike anything I had read at the time seeing as I had mainly stuck to generic YA novels so I was pretty obsessed with it. I still treasure this manga and it will always have a special place in my heart.
My Dear Pikachu
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whole series: I loved these books a lot. a lot. It may be my favorite shoujo series. Not as light hearted as most, deals with serious issues. At it's core, its an endearing love story that proves that love is worth fighting for, even with family issues and dark pasts. Plus, gotta love me an artist with a motorcycle bad boy!
Teetee
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
Read all 15/16 volumes. This series was not a favorite for me but I loved reading manga back in the day and read everything I could get my hands on. Ok art, and angsty storyline between a boring heroine and an interesting hero made for an uneven read for me. Probably a 3.5 star rating overall but not a keeper for me. I sold it years ago.
Q&A with D. Renee...: Manga Recommendation ~ Mars by Fuyumi Soryo 1 2 Jul 18, 2014 03:27AM
any good manga like mars? 7 138 Jul 16, 2014 09:03AM
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 2 (Paradise Kiss, #2)
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 3
  • Peach Girl, Vol. 1 (Peach Girl, #1)
  • I.N.V.U.,  Volume 1
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 5 (Marmalade Boy, #5)
  • The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1
  • From Far Away, Vol. 01
  • Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1
  • Wish, Vol. 01 (Wish, #1)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1
Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実 Sōryō Fuyumi?, born January 6, 1959) is a Japanese manga artist from Beppu, Oita, Japan. She is a graduate of the Oita prefectural Geijutsu Midorigaoka High School.

She was born into the home of a master of the Kanze school of Noh. In her childhood she liked to draw pictures of horses and things but had no special interest in manga. While enrolled in fashion college, she happene

Mars (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Mars, Vol. 2
  • Mars, Vol. 8
  • Mars, Vol. 9
  • Mars, Vol. 10
  • Mars, Volume 11
“The world is full of selfish people and there is nothing you can do to save it . no matter how well you hide it .selfishness seeps out slowly spreading its awful stench..” 0 likes