Start by marking “Lonely Planet France [With Map]” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet France [With Map]

Lonely Planet France [With Map] (Lonely Planet Country Guide)

France seduces travelers with its unfalteringly familiar culture woven around its caf terraces, village-square markets and lace-curtained bistros with their "plat du jour" chalked on the board. Nicola Williams, Lonely Planet writer
Our Promise
You can trust our travel information because Lonely Planet authors visit the places we write about, each and every edition. We neve
Published April 1st 2011 by Lonely Planet (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet France [With Map], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet France [With Map]

Steven Peterson
Oct 04, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This travel volume, by the folks at Lonely Planet, is well done! It begins with the authors listing their favorite places, with nice color photos to illustrate--from # 1, Avenue Champs-Elysees to # 16 Annecy. The book begins with an exhortation to prepare for a trip to France well in advance: "Some parts of France are tried-and-true, bona fide 'dream destinations' and as such require planning weeks, if not months, in advance in order to snag the best room in the house. . . " (page 18).

Introducto
Missy
Aug 17, 2014 Missy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
OK. I must explain the low rating. The only reason why I gave this a 2 star rating is because the e-version of this book is AWFUL!! It's hard to maneuver through the book. Photos and information cross pages which makes it difficult to reference information. I've even had problems just reading the book in that pages are skipped or placement does not make sense. In other words: DO NOT BUY THE E-VERSION OF THIS BOOK! I thought I would save space and not have to lug a huge travel book with me. "Ah, ...more
Sherrin
Lonely Planet is a generally good guidebook. However, the transition to an e-book, while promising, is poorly executed. The links to websites and maps can be really handy, but the links in the book more often than not, do not go to the correct pages. Additionally, some images with text are poor resolution and small, such as the tour of the Louvre, so one cannot possibly make out the writing, and as such, the images are useless.

If I were to choose a ebook guidebook again, I would opt for another
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Indispensible for our two weeks in France. My only complaint: some entries failed to be sufficiently superlative. There are just too many quaint villages and charming gites for Lonley Planet to list them all, so it couldn't be our only source for planning the trip, which for simplicity's sake I would have liked. I ended up relying on internet sources, just because the authors have to squeeze so much information about a huge and fascinating place into a book size bundle.
Ondrej Sykora
Jan 01, 2012 Ondrej Sykora rated it really liked it
Shelves: travelling
A decent and reliable tourist guide. For most parts it was OK and up-to-date. When I needed something, it was there.

However, in some cities (Rouen, Rennes) I've found places that were nicer/more interesting than the sights recommended by the guide, but for most places it was just fine.

The take-out map of central Paris is a nice idea and I used it a lot (until I learned to navigate around Paris without a map).
jools
Nov 27, 2007 jools rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Others will and probably already have found this guide really useful but this one let us down on restaurant and hotel recommendations and didn't really suite our travel style. The guide's assessment of many places didn't really agree with mine.
Mark
Aug 14, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lonely Planet Books are indispensable, I just wish they were better at referencing the map in the text, and the page ref from the map key.
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 Vanlilith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Paul Devall
Aug 22, 2011 Paul Devall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Prefer Rough Guides but this was bought for me.

Maybe it's me but I find LP guides to have a more sneering attitude to others.

I want facts not the authors opinions. Is that wrong?
Stacey
Jun 29, 2007 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm heading to France in September, so I'm in planning mode.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
May 23, 2011 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
An excellent choice for planning travel.
Ignacio Alonso
Ignacio Alonso rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Rui Valente
Rui Valente rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Yann
Yann rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Mikhael Belanger
Mikhael Belanger rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2012
Kristgy
Kristgy rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Laura Lupo
Laura Lupo rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Jeppe Klingberg
Jeppe Klingberg rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Ted Mabry
Ted Mabry rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Stuart
Stuart rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Beth Morgan
Beth Morgan rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Melicent
Melicent rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Sue Kelly
Sue Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
ruth mccrudden
ruth mccrudden rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Guadalupe Rosalyn
Guadalupe Rosalyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Isabel Ferreira
Isabel Ferreira rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Merel
Merel rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Germany
  • Italy (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Scotland
  • Ireland (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Paris
  • Norway
  • England (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • India (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Istanbul (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • Cambodia
  • Rome
  • Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • Thailand (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Peru

Lonely Planet Country Guide (1 - 10 of 263 books)
  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Argentina (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Argentina y Uruguay
  • Australia
  • Australia (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Lonely Planet Australia
  • Australie (Lonely Planet)
  • Austria (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Austria