Start by marking “Just Like Heaven” as Want to Read:
Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven

(Mutts)

Patrick McDonnell's hypnotic picture book featuring the stars of his Mutts comic strip is a captivating ode to everyday beauty and wonder.When Mooch the cat awakes to find himself lost in a deep fog, he concludes he's in heaven. 'Wow,' he remarks as he explores. 'What a great place.' But when Mooch comes face-to-face in heaven with a big and scary dog, what, he wonders, is ...more
Published October 4th 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Heaven

Start your review of Just Like Heaven
Cheryl
I have been a Mutts fan since the first strip I read in the later 90s. How could anyone not be? In this quick book, Mooch the cat falls asleep under a tree and wakes to find himself in a fog bank, which he assumes is actually Heaven. He sets out to explore the sights, not too different than home... just mistier. When he happens upon a chained and aggressive dog, he has no fear.. its Heaven, after all, and reaches out with a hug. Everyone needs a hug. Back to his tree to nap again, he wakes after ...more
Josiah
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Patrick McDonnell is in his creative zone when illustrating and writing for his Mutts characters, and Just Like Heaven is a nice example of what he can do with the characters and setting. A foggy day unexpectedly yields new appreciation for this world we live in, elevating a drowsy cat's perspective on the blessings of life. What is heaven like, and why do we yearn for it? There may be unimaginable joy in the afterlife, but pieces of its radiance are already reflected in the world around us, ...more
Tracee
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book!!! I've always loved the comics, but these books are so happy and cute, it could almost bring a tear to your eye. They're a perfect gift to someone who loves book, or loves dogs, or cats, or even loves anything. You can't NOT love them.

Heaven...? He thought.

I must be in heaven!
Ray
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
McDonnell has done it again. Another book of great quality and many positive lessons to learn. I enjoy reading his books to my child, especially since it makes you feel all warm inside after reading it.

A cat falls asleep and thinks he's in heaven. He sees all these positive things about the world. Even the potentially negative things have becomes positive just because of what he state of mind. He goes back to sleep and wakes up, seeing the world around him, being just like heaven.

I really like
Krysta McFarland
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This modern fantasy book, good for grades 2-5, is such a great book that has cute story line and has incorporated a secret message to it. I love the fact that Patrick McDonnell has a way of incorporating a hidden message that I think makes the book have a deeper meaning. It is because of this hidden message that this book means so much more to me and part of the reason that I would love to have it in my classroom.
Louise Hassell
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this book accidentally when I ordered another book by the same name. I was surprised to see that it was a book for children. But when I finished reading it I wondered if it really was a book for children after all. Isn't it amazing how God or the universe or whatever you want to call it so often surprises us with things we need just when we especially need them? Why don't you try starting the surprises with this book?
Terry
The illustrations are engaging and leave room to capture the imaginations of all listeners and readers. The presentation is simple, using text judiciously and allowing the pictures to carry the message. Read the review at the Reading Tub.
Autumn
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cut and sweet little book. I would say it is for all ages.

Mooch is the main character in this one. Other than that cant say much or would be giving it all away.

Might just bring a bittersweet smile to your face if you have recently lost a pet or someone.
Miguel
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After hearing Mooch I can easily say this is ..."Just Like Heave". Thank you Patrick. We love You.
Kelly
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just beautiful. This guy is so talented. Wonderful little read for a relaxed, snuggle time.
Michelly Veloso

Shelves: animals, kids-stuff
Great for any age!
Rachel
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simple and sweet with a lovely message. The illustrations are a charming example of less is more.
Becky B
Mooch wakes up in a heavy fog and thinks he must be in heaven. He enjoys the dew, the sweet scents, the sounds of children laughing, and in his mistaken mindset even offers a hug to a dog.

Theological potential mix-ups about what heaven is aside (easily talked about with little ones because Mooch is obviously wrong), this is a cute book. I loved that Mooch was unfazed by the barking dog and gave him a hug because he thought it was heaven, and it seemed that was what the dog needed. If we take
Kay Carman
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats
CIP: "Having awakened from a nap to find himself surrounded by fog, Mooch the cat decides he must be in heaven, especially when he sees that all of his loved ones are there."

I'm not a follower of the Mutts comic strip, but McDonnell was featured on the PBS show, Religion and Ethics News Weekly, a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed with his perspective and the degree of spirituality he brings to his artistry. This is a very sweet story that reminds one to enjoy every day's simple
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
More warm fuzzies, and a reference to Hug Time. I've heard this story told as a fable before: character falls asleep, wakes up, assumes he is in heaven. With these new eyes, everything seems more wonderful, even though it is the same world he was in. The really telling part is that he acts more kindly in this "new" heaven, because he appreciates it. In this case, the character is Mooch, surrounded by a fog that creeps on little cat feet...
Dolly
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2012
This is a sweet tale that depicts Mooch enveloped by a thick fog. He imagines that he is in heaven and the story has a simple joy and a serendipitous ending. The illustrations feature the classic characters from the Mutts cartoon by Patrick McDonnell.

Overall, the message is simple, but nice. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
While this book had a sweet message and cute illustrations, it was a letdown. I was browsing the bookstore and I saw a stack sitting on the shelf and picked it up out of curiosity. The story just didn't have enough poignancy for me to like it and I thought it was a little dumbed-down. Other people might like it, but I just didn't care for it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Adih Respati
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 01-picturebook
While asleep, the forest in which Mooch and Earl are asleep begins to fog. When Mooch wakes up thinking he was in heaven and then takes a walk and finds many things in heaven. Tired, Mooch sleeps again. When woken up, he finds himself back on earth again, takes a stroll again, and finds the same things he found in heaven :-)
Beth
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-animals
Heartwarming but not overy sentimental (in my opinion and I'm pretty sentimental) story about Mooch (of Patrick McDonnell's comic strip "Mutts") waking up in a fog and believing he's in Heaven, which affects the way he sees the world.
Michelle
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A sweet tale about friendship and being thankful for what surrounds us. I used this picture book at a dedication ceremony in memory of a friend/teacher. It worked really well and in my opinion kept things light and happy but still fit the purpose of the event.
Donna
Dec 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good book, but I like Hug Time better. This one just doesn't flow like the other one but the story is very sweet. I loved "The big dog growled (as uloved dogs often do)line. It is not as colorful but the illustrations are still very cute.
Meg
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Mutts, it is quite possibly my favorite newspaper comic strip and definitely in my top ten comics list. This is a simple, beautiful book and if you don't like it for any other reason the page where Moochie's arms are out for hug time is fantastic.
Nick TheLibraryGuy
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"Home is where the heart is" is eloquently demonstrated with a minimum of words, and maximum feeling.
Ryan Miller
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lovely little dream sequence that helps readers ask, "What could make my place just like heaven?"
Kayla Christ
This is just an all around sweet book :)
Tim
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Based on the comic strip called "mutts," This book is about a cat who wakes up in foggy weather thinking that he's in heaven. How would you act differently if you thought this was the case?
Mckinley
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, picture, cat
Fun.
Kim
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations by Patrick McDonnell featuring characters from his "Mutts" comic strip. Waking from a nap, Mooch believes he's in Heaven.
Kristi
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book.... Ok, it made me cry - some days it doesn't take much. This is one that we got from the library are read, reread, and reread a bunch of times... :) Sweet

• The Okay Witch
  • Oddly Normal, Book 1
  • The Hospital Suite
  • The Family Circus by Request
  • Oddly Normal, Book 2
  • I Love You, Fred
  • Artemis the Loyal (Goddess Girls, #7)
  • A Dog Called Homeless
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Bad Pets Most Wanted!  True Tales of Misbehaving Animals (Bad Pets #4)
  • Bad Pets: Best in Class
  • Notes from a Public Typewriter
  • Men Should Come with Instruction Booklets
  • Fred's Big Feelings: The Life and Legacy of Mister Rogers
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • Vacancy
  • Garbage Night
  • Middlewest, Book One
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first childrens book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like

Mutts (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • MUTTS
  • Cats and Dogs: Mutts II
  • More Shtuff - Mutts III (Mutts)
  • Yesh! - Mutts IV
  • Our Mutts: Five (Mutts, #5)
  • A Little Look-See:  Mutts 6 (Mutts, #6)
  • What Now: MUTTS VII