Start by marking “Playbook for Progressives: 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer” as Want to Read:
Playbook for Progressives: 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer

Playbook for Progressives: 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An organizing manifesto for the twenty-first century, Playbook for Progressives is a must-have for the activist’s tool kit. This comprehensive guide articulates pragmatically what is required in the often mystifying and rarely explained on-the-ground practice of organizing. Here, Eric Mann distills lessons he learned from over forty years as an organizer, as well as from o ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Playbook for Progressives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playbook for Progressives

Bob Simpson
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Eric Mann has been an organizer since the 1960's. I read about him back in my Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) days. He's been a community organizer and labor organizer and was one of the founders of the LA Bus Riders Union. He draws upon his deep and wide experience and the many human contacts he has made over the years to give us a point by point guide to successfully Fight the Power.

Mann knows we are in a marathon, not a sprint and that it may take generations to achieve our deeper and
Kate Davis
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great frameworks for any kind of community leader, not just political leaders.

The table of contents is the most useful portion. I ended up reading just the first few paragraphs of each chapter because the rest of the chapters were examples that were quite superfluous.
Carlos
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Many of us pass through (not just once) a point in our political lives where we see the difference between organizer, activist, and other terms for our engagement, as forks in the road. For those in this process, Eric Mann offers his perspective and arguments for becoming "transformative organizers." He draws on his experience to give a framework for thinking about the organizer's roles and qualities. Most valuably, he provides vignettes and profiles of organizers he's learned from and who demon ...more
Steve
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Frank, practical training guide for going from issue activism and engagement to becoming a committed grass roots, social change organizer. Based on Eric Mann's years of commitment to and experience with radical organizing in Los Angeles. Reading it alone, you gain some perspectives. To really use it, I suspect you would need to go through a training program with him.
Mackel
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was great. A lot of real examples that you can relate to. It moved fast and has lots of great lessons for people considering organizing. I felt like the word 'revolution' was used a bit broadly for my taste. Read it.
Michael
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent and comprehensive field guide on the principles and practices of transformative organizing. There are decades of local, regional, national, and international movement building experience distilled in its pages. A must read for anyone wanting to make systemic change.
Jake
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and specific advice

Mann's case studies are some of the strongest portions of the book that both serve to illustrate his arguments and offer concrete examples for organizers to present to people of times mass mobilization has produced positive tangible change
Amy Ariel
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Very helpful for current organizers or would be organizers. Very helpful for people working in organizations and managing volunteers.
For me, right now, not so helpful.
Litbitch
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Nothing fancy, just a good breakdown of the qualities and roles of good organizers, with some nice examples.
James Tracy
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Got energized by Occupy? Want to stay in for the long-haul? Read this book. Nuff said.
Elizabeth Champney
Dec 14, 2011
Desiree
May 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Eric Mann is director of the Los Angeles–based Labor/Community Strategy Center and cofounder of the Bus Riders Union. He is the author of six books and has worked extensively with many organizations, including the Congress of Racial Equality, Students for a Democratic Society, and the United Auto Workers. He lives in Los Angeles.
More about Eric Mann...
“There is a collision course between the greed and rationalizations of the West and the force of nature; science and the planet are the casualties.” 2 likes
“The most successful people in all fields have a great work ethic.” 1 likes