Start by marking “Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)

Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  4,899 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
With grit, courage and dogged determination, Joanne challenged the status quo -- and won. Now, as newly elected Sheriff of Cochise County, Arizona, she must battle the prejudice and hostility of a mistrustful, male-dominated police force -- and solve a grisly double homicide that threatens to tear the sleepy desert community to pieces. For the two bodies baking in the hars ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Tombstone Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tombstone Courage

Donna
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is my fourth book that I've read in this series and so far, this is my favorite one. They have all been 3 stars, but I can give this one 4 stars. I think I liked this one more because it gave me some much needed back story. I liked the explanation about Joanna's rise to sheriff and I also liked the details about her family life.
Kristi, A Book Fanatic
I ordered a huge box of books off ebay from some poor sap who basically gave 22 books away for 2.00. When I got the box it was full of books by JA Jance and Stuart Woods. From there my love affair began with JA Jance's series. I read all of Joanna Brady's books out of order but I loved each and every one. I even went on the author's website and read where she told how she got the idea for each of the books she has written. It only made me love each book more :) How sad was I when I realized yest ...more
Amanda McGill
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm liking this series!

In the second novel in the Joanna Brady series, Joanna is running for sheriff and in her sleepy town of Bisbee, Arizona a murder occurs. The murder is connected with a lawsuit between a father and a daughter.

Through out the novel, Joanna's storyline took a back seat, and the murder and the relationships between this family took priority. I found it a bit odd that there was so much about this family. I also didn't like how not much information was given out. It only came
Frank
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good second entry in the Joanna Brady series. This is the followup to Desert Heat where at the end, Joanna is considering running for sheriff of Cochise County, Arizona. In this volume, she is elected sheriff but her lack of experience makes it very hard for her to assume a leadership position, especially since one of her main deputies was campaigning for another person during the election. Then once she gets elected, she has a double murder on her hands, one of which occurred many years before. ...more
Old_airman
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library, 2014
I don't know how, but with every Jance book, I become a bigger fan. This second in the series kept me reading instead of napping on the commuter train in the morning. A bunch of new characters that I look forward to know more about in the coming novels.
Patrick Gibson
Oct 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patrick by: Sharon Brower
The murder in this mystery doesn’t occur until about half way through. And that’s okay because what Jance is really writing about is family relationships, life in a small western town, women breaking stereotypes and pushing the ceiling. By the time the dastardly deed happens I had actually forgotten I was reading a mystery. The characters are well drawn out and unfolding events are logical—there’s never a moment when you think ‘this doesn’t make sense.’

This is my third Jance novel. I liked her s
Dana
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series, but I can't figure out how someone not in law enforcement could be elected Sheriff. I imagine it actually works this way in some places, but it floors me. Other than that, I liked the story though a bit predictable. It kept me wanting to listen. I liked the reader as well, as it was easy to identify who was speaking during the dialog. I will be listening to the sequel, if I can get it from the library.
Russ
I discovered J.A. Jance while living in Arizona. She has at least 4 series with 4 different main characters. Looking forward to reading them all.
Abe Sammy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This the second novel I have read by Jance, the first being "Cruel Intents" which I found to be less than spectacular and the last Ali Reynolds book I'll ever read. Though some of the issues I had with C.I. were present in this novel such as the plot not kicking in until about half way through the book, exposition out of nowhere, too much time spent in the heads of the characters, they were not as bad and were only mildly annoying. There is a mystery here and some pretty good thrills. I wished J ...more
Lewestover
As in real life problems seem to come in bunches, so it is with Joanna Brady. As the newly elected county sheriff she is forced to take over immediately, must deal with the prejudice of the male police force, figure out how to deal with the fears of her 9 year old daughter, and solve a grisly double homicide -- and all right now. 3 1/2 stars
Barbara Schultz
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.6 Joanna Brady is my favorite J.A. Jance character.
I missed this early 1995 novel. I was a bit disappointed at first as it took awhile for Joanna's character to develop. Additionally I was a bit surprised with the "colorful" language since this is listed on the "Cozy Mystery" site.
But I love Sheriff Brady and enjoyed  how she got started.  :)

Heatherhh
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the first book. Still the great characterization, but I enjoyed the secondary characters more. I felt there were a few too many surprise plot twists at the end. One or two of them would have been surprising, clever, etc. Past that, it just made me roll my eyes. A few stray sexual details that I could have done without, but very minor.
Monica
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a very good read. it had me guessing until the end of who actually murdered who it was a great mystery I would recommend it to anyone who likes reading Mysteries. I love this series! on to the next!
Leda
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memories

A newly widowed mother running for sheriff. A prodigal daughter returns with horrendous accusations. Two murders 40 years apart, sharing the same grave. What's not to like?
Ann Bickle
I like the strong female character.
Russ Leavitt
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.
Shaylee Durfey
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great one in the series!!!
Clare
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read in the Joanne Brady series. I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.
Beverly Hunter
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nls-bard
I am enjoying these books immensely.
Bertina
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since meeting J.A. Jance at a book signing in AZ - I have been hooked on the Joanna Brady's Series - Book #2 What A Great Read - looking forward to more
Nancy L Katz
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tombstone courage

This book did not disappoint me. It was exciting and fast moving. I look forward to reading her other books.
Jerri Lincoln
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Second in the series. Moving on to number three.
Rae Davies
I'm enjoying this series, so far. The characters are well developed and the storyline is intriguing enough to keep my interest.
Roberta Muelling
Entertaining read

Very enjoyable book 2 in the series. I'm looking forward to the next books to see how the characters develop.
Johnna
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
book #2 of the Joanna Brady series....outstanding!
Gayle L Bender-Uhl
Another good read in this series by J.A. Janice!
Anita Dawson
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanna Brady continues to grow as a sheriff. Not only is she learning her new trade after winning the election for Sheriff, she is learning to deal with the new challenges of a daughter that fears that she will not come home at night like her father did not. Good character development. Look forward to continuing the series.
Brigitta Moon
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read many of the Joanna Brady novels by J. A. Jance, but I started late in the series. About a week ago I came across

the first book in the series, Desert Heat. It was a good read and now I have all the background on Sheriff Joanna Brady . This lead me into the second book in the series, Tombstone Courage. Armed with background from book one I slid easily into book two. She's the first woman sheriff in Cochise County. She had a lot on her plate; it seemed more than she would be able to dige
G.G.
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When last we saw Joanna Brady in series premier, Desert Heat, her husband was murdered while running for sheriff of Cochise County, and she was under suspicion for drug trafficking. After she was instrumental in solving the case, which included corruption in the sheriff’s office, her friends urged her to run for the office once held by her father.

Joanna Brady’s first day on the job as sheriff is a stressful one. Two bodies have been discovered in the county, her chief deputy openly campaigned f
Raoul Jerome
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Just starting with this series and am looking forward to continuing. Joanna has had a pretty rough start and she makes some mistakes in this one, but she bounces back a couple steps ahead and continues to get better.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Dark Wind (Leaphorn & Chee, #5)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • While Other People Sleep
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Liberty Falling (Anna Pigeon, #7)
  • Statute of Limitations (Posadas County Mystery, #4)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Joanna Brady (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady, #4)
  • Skeleton Canyon (Joanna Brady, #5)
  • Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
  • Devil's Claw (Joanna Brady, #8)
  • Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady, #9)
  • Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)
  • Exit Wounds (Joanna Brady, #11)