Start by marking “The Magic Eyes of Little Crab” as Want to Read:
The Magic Eyes of Little Crab

The Magic Eyes of Little Crab

With colorful illustrations and easy vocabulary in both English and Chineses, this retelling of a Brazilian folktale follows Little Crab, who likes to say magic words to pop his eyes from his head and send them sailing into the ocean to see the beautiful fish and creatures of the sea. He plays this game every day along the beaches of Brazil until one day Jaguar, a giant ca ...more
Published January 28th 2010 by Heritage Schoolhouse Press

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Eyes of Little Crab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Eyes of Little Crab

Start your review of The Magic Eyes of Little Crab
VS Grenier
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sfc-review
Reviewed by: Nancy Messmore

Synopsis: With a magic chant and a “Pop! Pop!” crab can send his eyeballs into the sea to discover beautiful colors and an array of creatures. Jaguar is jealous of crab’s vision and wants crab to help him see below the sea. Even after crab advises him of the dangers, Jaguar demands that crab “Pop! Pop!” his eyeballs. Uh-oh! Crab’s warning is realized! How will Jaguar get his eyes back? And what price will Jaguar and Crab pay for their mistakes?

Overall thoughts: I joyou
Terry
Our child could see trouble coming, and guessed that Jaguar would be eaten by the "whale." She was surprised about Jaguar losing his eyes, though. Now when we're traveling and see a vulture, she reminds us of this story.

This is a very clever tale. It reminds me of an Aesop's fable, but it has a couple of twists and turns in it that even I didn't see coming. This isn't a story I knew, and it was fun to share it with my daughter.
Emily