Start by marking “The Babies on the Bus” as Want to Read:
The Babies on the Bus

The Babies on the Bus

The babies on the bus sing

LA-LA-LA!

Jump on the bus with Karen Katz's adorable babies as they take a classic song for an all-new ride!

This irresistible picture book by the popular author of The Colors of Us, Counting Kisses, and Where Is Baby's Belly Button? will steal your heart.
Published July 19th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Babies on the Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Babies on the Bus

June
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: caregivers of young children, librarians, parents and teachers
A big hit for story time! Everyone helped out with the lyrics. Surprised it hasn't been done before since the song is so popular. Maybe a 3 & a half, 3 for me, 4 for the story time reception. 8/31/11

Well, I think I am going to have to round this up to 4, 3 for me and 5 for the story time reception. 8/29/12

A huge hit again. 8/28/13

Used in Lap Time, so glad I work in a library where the parents and caregivers participate. 8/26/14

Rounded up to 5 stars, because of the participation of caregivers
Robin
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The babies on this bus sing la-la-la and bounce bumpity bump all through the town, instead of just crying. The traditional verses are interwoven with the babies' activities and end with the motor going zoom, zoom, zoom before the babies say bye-bye bus! Not all variations of Wheels on the Bus are quite so appealing -- this one will breathe new life into the song, which is always popular with children.Really bright bold colors make this a perfect choice for baby and toddler storytimes.
Erin
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-teen
This is another version of The Wheels on the Bus. I am not a fan of the baby take on the song. The words are different than what we normally sing at storytime and this causes problems with the kiddos and their parents. However, this is a good one to send home with parents who are looking for books to read/sing to their children. Plus, it has a glitter cover. Who doesn't love the glitter cover?
Kate
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, picture
the toddlers at story time want to read this book every week
we sing the song every week and now they know about this book and it will never end -- this song is forever in my brain
kim
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
adorbs pictures! long read-aloud though!
Janice
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
not a board book yet I don't think the traditonal ryhme with few new twists (babies on the bus bounce bumpity bump...)
would be cute for toddler time
Meg McGregor
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lexi-victoria
I think this is my absolute favorite version of this classic nursery rhyme.

Ms. Katz delightful illustrations, along with original lyrics, make this book a treat any time of the day.

The girls and I give this six enthusiastic thumbs up!

Although we were all wondering, who is driving the bus, if the driver and the babies are all fast asleep?
Tracy
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kiddo would not let me sing the song.
Krista
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one was always a winner when I led Babytime at the Library. Shared it with Malcolm (2 years old) and he loves it too. Especially the "bumpity bump" part.
Lauren
I can't stand these Katz books, but my 2 year old really enjoys them.
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bold, eye-catching illustrations held my toddler’s attention for almost the entire verse, which says a lot.
Melanie
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My child had fun singing along.
Angelica
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At 12+ months Au loves the wheels on the bus song and really enjoys seeing the corresponding images to go along with it. Plus this book introduced us to some new verses.
Kimberly
Typical Karen Katz...super cute babies doing cute stuff together. Need to use for baby storytime soon.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My son had fun while I read him this book.
Mister David
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Colorful picture book with text for each verse of the song. Great for adding action and motions.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 8/16/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 8/19/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 8/23/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 10/19 & 10/20/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 12/6/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 2/3/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read a
Robert Beveridge
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Karen Katz, The Babies on the Bus (Henry Holt, 2011)

Karen Katz lends her inimitable style to a rendition of “The Wheels on the Bus”, and the result is just as cute as you would expect. A few points off for not sticking to the original formula of the song, which never repeats any word in “the _____ on the bus”, but that's a minor thing; this is a good'un and will find its way into storytime again and again. ***
Westerville
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture_book
Not all variations of Wheels on the Bus are quite so appealing -- this one will breathe new life into the song, which is always popular with children.Really bright bold colors make this a perfect choice for babies and toddlers. -Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
jacky
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
A simple variation on The Wheels on the Bus. Most of the words are the same, but some parts are changed to be all about babies. This is fitting since Katz's illustrates babies. It was silly that the bus driver was a baby and that they were going to school. Maybe it was that I didn't see it clearly and they were playing bus at school?
Kim
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This adorable rendition of The Wheels on the Bus includes Karen Katz's traditional rainbow of sweet, chubby, round-eyed babies. Additional lines are added like,"The babies on the bus go la, la, la," and "The driver on the bus goes shhh, shhh, shhh," adding to the fun of the song. This book, with its bright colors and exciting actions, works very well in Toddler Storytime and Preschool Storytime.
Laura5
This has been a favorite of my Cupcake (2.5 yr old) since we borrowed it from the library.
The pictures are engaging and adorable.
This would be a fabulous one to have in board book form (publisher?)
Asho
My almost-one-year-old loved this book so much. Her three-year-old brother picked it out for her and was thrilled to sing along as I read it to her. She bounced up and down to the singing and attempted to turn the pages. Definitely a hit!
Tricia
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really liked this Katz title...which appealed highly to my 2 year old. I would recommend this for toddlers-2s storytime especially. Brightly illustrated with catchy lyrics that are interactive and fun.
Meg McGregor
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I think this is my absolute favorite version of this classic nursery rhyme.

Be sure to act out the motions and sing the song for added fun.
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: transportation
I don't usually review books that would be shared during a story time for infants, but this one was cute and would be nice to share one-on-one with a baby as well because of the bright, colorful illustrations.
Maria Burel
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Karen Katz has long been one of my favorite authors for the baby/toddler set. The illustrations are bright and cheerful. The text includes some of the well-known verses to “The Wheels on the Bus”, but also has some new and original verses mixed in. Fun for a read-aloud/sing-along!
Tiff
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great sing a long book for well-loved song The Wheels on the Bus. Good thing is if the song gets too long, you can just jump to the end. Cute twist on lyrics with focus on babies, like: the babies on the bus bounce Bumpity Bump...
Kristy
Cute book if you are strictly looking to sing "the wheels on the bus" with kids. The words are mostly the same as the old song, so there isn't much originality. However, the book can be a fun to sing aloud.

Okay for storytime.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Author/illustrator Katz delivers a romping rendition of "The Wheels on the Bus." Her trademark round-faced babies appear in this brightly illustrated spin on the familiar children's song. New verses are combined with the familiar to present a version that will be often requested.
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • I Love Trains!
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Lots of Dots
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Jazz Baby
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more