Start by marking “To Market, to Market” as Want to Read:
To Market, to Market

To Market, to Market

Known for art that celebrates the virtues of community, hard work, and living gently on the planet, Nikki McClure here explores a topic close to her heart: the farmers market. Alternating between story and fact, this lovingly crafted picture book follows a mother and son to the weekly market. As they check off items on their shopping list, the reader learns how each ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about To Market, to Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Market, to Market

Start your review of To Market, to Market
KC
This one may be my favorite Nikki McClure book since I have been to Olympia's Famers Market every time I am in Washington visiting my kids. What an outstanding group of famers, produce, baked good, hand crafted items, and artisans.
Crystal Marcos
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is my first experience with a Nikki McClure book. I was impressed with the artwork used and think it was effective in drawing the eye toward what the author wants you to notice. It is a bit lengthy non-fictional read packed with plenty of information on different products you can buy at a farmer's market. I appreciate the explanations of how an item got to the market ready for purchase.

This book did make me want to get back out to the farmer's market when the weather permits around here! I
Maya
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok, first of all, everything Nikki McClure does is so beautiful. I can't help but check out anything I see of hers. This books is very interesting for preschoolers (and older) who are curious about how things work and where food comes from. My 3 year old is often asking questions about such things, and this book explains it: when you see the guy selling eggs at the market, this is the kind of work he does to get them there. I personally like how this book also shows a modern view of ...more
Katie
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this one. I was hoping for a simple, relatable tale about going to the farmer's market, but was bombarded with page after page of "wall o'text" preaching at me about eating expensive artisan foods. My kids like the illustrations, but I am taking this Michael Pollan Jr. book back to the library before they demand I read it out loud to them, as I am certain the text would bore them at least as much as it annoyed me.
The Library Lady
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Handsome, but neither fish nor fowl, so to speak. The art is handsome as are all of McClure books, but there is minimal child appeal. The long complicated explanations of how each item is made are crammed onto single pages of text, too long to read to preschoolers and with language more suited to older elementary school kids.
Laura5
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great to use with Kindergarten when they are learning about where food comes from.
FM Family
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-for-me
I feel bad because I love Nikki McClure as an artist and have calendars and other books of hers. But this doesn't work as a story. The illustrations are well done, but the narrative - every other page has a full page of text explaining how the items are brought to the farmers market in incredible detail, but presented in a way that I don't think would be effective for kid readers to engage with. Especially because it's attached to one static image, rather than perhaps a series of images that ...more
Claudia Rodriguez
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rita Salfetnikova
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Informational / Picture Book
Copyright 2011
This book is about a family that goes to the market, and everything that they buy the book explains how that product came to be. This book is good for grades k-5. This book can teach kids about how different veggies grow etc. It would be fun to learn about different products of this book and then plant something from the book in your own class garden.
Wayne Walker
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Quick! Where does food like fruits, vegetables, meat, eggs, and cheese come from? Of course, silly, from the grocery store. Well, not always, and there’s more to it than just that. More and more people are turning to local farmers markets to find fresher and healthier foods. In this book, a young boy and his mother go on Market Day to shop for Michael’s crisp apples, Colin and Genine’s kale, Steve’s smoked salmon, Benjamin’s maple honey, Evan and Emma’s blueberry turnovers, Heather and Katelyn’s ...more
Russell
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
One of the most hipster books I've ever read. Let's go to the farmer's market, shop among the tattooed vendors, and buy some kale. It's an episode of Portlandia, in book form.

(view spoiler)
Bea
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Nikki McClure’s most recent cut-paper picturebook tells the story of a bustling farmer’s market. Her celebrated images catch the eye of children and adults alike as the story follows a young boy and his mother shopping for goods. To Market, To Market will resonate strongly with today’s children and families, particularly those who have experienced the vibrant environment of a farmer’s market before.

The story shares information about how each item is grown or made, introduces the farmers and
Amanda Snow
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Originally published at: http://apatchworkofbooks.blogspot.com...

To Market, to Market by Nikki McClure (also the illustrator of the beautiful All in a Day) has created a beautiful and educational story with a nice story included as well.

Focusing on the wonders of a farmers market, the pages switch between a story about a family going to visit the market and facts about how different fruits and vegetables end up at the market. We learn about kale, apples, honey, cheese, and even napkins!

The text
Angela
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Nikki McClure's illustrations! This book is a love-letter to farmers' markets and the wonderful items they bring us.

The reading level is a little difficult to determine. The first few pages, and the intro to each "chapter" read like a traditional picture book. Each "chapter" (contained on one page) goes into detail about a certain vendor - the apple-seller, an indigo dyer, the bakers, etc. These are on a much more difficult level, probably about third grade. It would make a good book to
Barbara
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Cut-paper illustrations with digitally added color are the stars here as a boy and his mother visit the community market and purchase apples, kale, salmon, honey, blueberry turnovers, cheese, and even napkins for a feast they'll have at home later. Detailed descriptions of the farmers and craftsmen and women and the work they must do before bringing anything to the market is provided, ending with a thank you to each one. The tidbits provided are intriguing and will educate readers who often take ...more
Cindy Huskey
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Have you ever wondered how goat cheese is made or how beekeepers extract honey? Readers follow a mother and son through the market as they stop at each vendor to pick up the items on their shopping list (from the title page). Intricate cut paper illustrations detail the wonders and the artisans of the farmer’s market capturing every feature, from scraggly beards and tattoos to a mother reminding her son to use good manners. The simplicity of the black and white color scheme paired with a single ...more
Pink
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a well written book. The illustrations are cut from black paper placed on white paper. If the illustrator/author makes a mistake she doesn't stop she keeps going and works the mistake into her art. The contrasting colors are perfect for baby eyes. The book is about the work the vendors from the farmers market do to bring their goods to the market. Well researched, well thought out, and thoroughly enjoyable. My then five month old, now six month old is completely fascinated each time I read ...more
Vivian Romero
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: place-making, foodies
A celebration and gratitude of food as a mother and son shop at their local market day. They visit stalls selling apples, kale, smoked salmon, honey, blueberry turnovers, napkins and cheese. The story ends with a market feast around the home table with friends and family. The beauty of this book is two-fold. Firstly, Nikki McClure’s paper cut imagery is mesmerising. Each product on the list is showcased in one unmistakeable hue. Secondly, the provenance of each product is shared on a separate ...more
Andre
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Like most Nikki McClure books it has beautiful artwork and a thoughtful approach to a story. In this case - McClure takes us on an adventure through a farmer's market and highlights the people that one may encounter. Then she highlights the process that those poeple take to make the product that that they sell in the market. My 3 year-old loved it, and I found it interesting enough to not get bored the first couple read-throughs. If you've never been to a farmer's market or are not into slow ...more
Victoria
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A delightful and informative look at the local Farmer's market. Nikki McClure interviewed and shadowed some of the farmer's from her local market to create a behind the scenes look at where our food comes from as well as sharing the personality and individuality of the farmers. Warm and engrossing made even more so by her ever lovely paper cut illustrations. And fascinating for the whole family to read.
Jill
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty awesome!

This was the story of a mother and son (I think) who go to a farmer's market. Whenever they stop at a booth, they explain how the food or goods they're buying were made and how they got to the farmer's market.

The illustrations were beautiful and the writing was very good! I learned a lot and I liked it quite a bit. It's not a suitable read-aloud for my class but oh wells.

I love that it promotes sustainability and locally grown foods. :)
Donalyn
With increased interest in buying locally grown food and using responsible growing practices, this book is timely. A boy and his mother visit the local farmers' market and select foods to eat. Includes detailed descriptions of how each food is grown and prepared for market. Rich with vocabulary words and food terminology. McClure's elaborate paper-cut illustrations appear in black, white, and one bold color representing each food.
Elisabeth
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully rich story of where each item on their grocery list comes from as they shop at a farmer's market. I do have to wonder if I am the only one who feels McClure's illustrations can be both pleasing (loved the illustration of the woman dying the napkins) and off-putting. Sometimes they strike me as so strange it jars me out the story. This book has renewed my interest in reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"
Marisol Sanchez-Matias
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because it talked about where the food he was purchasing cane from. I think this book is import and because it makes us become aware of our surroundings as well as question where does my food come from. I plan to use this in my classroom when doing a project around making healthy choices and food.
Rosa
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Neat little picture book that describes a childs visit to market with his mother. For each item they buy you get a slightly in depth explanation of where the item came from or how it was made. All of the times are used for a feast later that night. The colors are plain except for the items being described. Interesting art style.
Stefanie
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book, and so does my 3 month old! The illustrations are big and beautiful and high contrast, so she can see them clearly. And the story about the items in the market is very informative. I like that each reads as a separate story, too. And I love introducing to my daughter a sense of community and work and knowing where our food comes from.
Carissa
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had thought the illustrations were linocut, but they are actually papercuts (and excellently rendered, in my opinion). I thought the story was going to be short, but there are pages of long text detailing how the specific item came to be in the market.
Connie Klever
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a school age version of the traditional tale. Readers are given details of various market items. Interesting paper-cutting technique is used to illustrate the book--fools the eye a bit, as it appears to be wood cuts. Worth taking a look at for the art, if not the story.
Lin Lin
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Using exquisite paper-cut illustrations, the book led us to a farmer's market with a mixture of nature's bounties and produce. A community emerges when people move from one counter to another, making choices among apples, kale, smoked salmon, honey, blueberry turnover, napkins, and cheese.
Maren Prestegaard
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fall
Not what I expected. Wanted a cute, little farmer's market book but this one narrowed down to lengthy, non-fiction descriptions of particular food items. Maren hated it now and will probably not like it later.

• Little Dreamers: Visionary Women Around the World
  • ¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market
  • Clink
  • The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos
  • Vegetables in Underwear
  • Thea Stilton and the Cherry Blossom Adventure (Thea Stilton #6)
  • And Then It's Spring
  • How to Not Always Be Working: A Toolkit for Creativity and Radical Self-Care
  • If You Lived Here: Houses of the World
  • Wild Berries
  • The Day You Begin
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Bee-bim Bop!
Nikki McClure of Olympia, Washington is known for her painstakingly intricate and beautiful paper cuts. Armed with an X-acto knife, she cuts out her images from a single sheet of paper and creates a bold language that translates the complex poetry of motherhood, nature, and activism into a simple and endearing picture.

Nikki McClure is a self-taught artist who has been making paper-cuts since