Start by marking “The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)

The Beach Café (The Beach Café #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  6,793 Ratings  ·  364 Reviews
Evie Flynn has always been the black sheep of her family - a dreamer and a drifter, unlike her over-achieving elder sisters. She's tried making a name for herself as an actress, a photographer and a singer, but nothing has ever worked out. Now she's stuck in temp hell, with a sensible, pension-planning boyfriend. Somehow life seems to be passing her by. Then her beloved au ...more
Published June 2011 by Pan Macmillan (first published April 1st 2011)

Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Set in Cornwall, the heroine of the story is Evie - a thirty-something woman whose life is in a bit of a rut. She's the black sheep of the family, her sisters are both successful, gorgeous, well-groomed, married with children and have great careers. Evie goes from one temp job to another, not really knowing what she wants to do, her long-term relationship with geeky Matthew has gone a bit stale - the only great thing in her life is Saul, Matthew's young son who Evie adores.
Evie is devastated whe
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2016
After the last few books I read, I was really craving some lighthearted material to pass the time. I looked through my chick-lit books that I had lying around waiting to be read, and found this little gem. I had it for many years now, and I remember I bought it because of the rave reviews, so it seemed the perfect choice to get me going. Given the title, and the beach weather we've had here, it was exactly what I needed.

The Beach Cafe was a very well-written book, with interesting characters, th
Rachel
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I'd like this. I'm a big fan of Jenny Colgan and I wondered if it would be a bit of a rip off of her Cupcake Cafe, Beach Street Bakery, or Sweetshop novels. But it wasn't at all. I ended up unable to put this book down. The main character, Evie, was identifiable and likeable, and she had a great relationship with her best friend which was nice to read. The lead guy in the book was great, and all the personalities of the characters involved in the Beacch Cafe were great too. I'm ...more
Elke
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-rating
Ik geloof dat ik stiekem durf te zeggen dat ik mijn favoriete schrijfster heb ontdekt. Wat kan ze schrijven zeg! Als je op zoek bent naar diepgaande en super spannende literatuur moet je niet bij de boeken van Lucy Diamond kijken. Hier en daar zijn ze misschien ook wel een beetje voorspelbaar. Toch weet Lucy Diamond mij keer op keer te verrassen. Ze weet een heerlijke sfeer te creëren (volgende vakantie gaat naar zuid Engeland) en door de vlotte en makkelijke schrijfstijl leest het boek super sn ...more
Rosie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The title is pretty self explanatory, this book is a cute summery read about a cafe by the beach! I loved that, despite the setting being Cornwall, I imagined my favourite sea side town in the UK, Broadhaven. The setting in this book was so good that it was so easy to imagine the cafe actually existing. I loved the protagonist, except her attitude towards men drove me a bit insane and I preferred her when she was in her independent woman phase.

This book wasn't perfect, though. I thought I could
Amanda Patterson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Easy is the best way to describe this book.
Evie Flynn feels like a failure. Her work life is as lacklustre as her love life. Her aunt dies and leaves her a beach café. Does she change her life? Do I even have to answer that? Easily read and easily forgotten, this is a fluffy bit of nothing.
A beach read if you like reading on beaches.
Jo
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved Evie & her Cornish adventure!
Real easy read with great characters!
Enjoyed this book a lot!
Rea Cobb
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Whilst I am waiting for some of my favourite authors to release their new books I have found myself reading a few books by authors I have not tried before. I have just finished The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond. I have seen books by Lucy Diamond on the shelves before but they have never seemed to stick out for me until I came across this one which once I had read the blurb I decided to give it a try.

Plot
Evie Flynn is in a relationship which doesn't seem to be going anywhere and is also stuck in a
Connie (hoot reads books)
After some thought I decided to boost my rating from 3.5 to 4/5. It's a really good contemporary romance and one of the better ones I read so far!

I find it rare to come across a fictional character that you can relate to which is exactly how I felt when reading about Evie Flynn. She is a thirty something year old who is a dreamer and a wanderer. Most of her life she has been an actress to photographer but nothing has ever worked. Now Evie is stuck in a stupid temp job with a half decent boyfrien
Aileen
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Evie Flynn is 32, she has a boyfriend Matthew they live in Oxford she
is the “black sheep of the family “she is a “dreaming drifter” her
sisters are all married she has had unsuccessful careers in the past
she works for a Temping Agency, she hates her job.
Auntie Jo dies and leaves Evie the Beach Cafe in Cornawall, everyone
thinks she should sell it and make a profit; however she decides to go
to Cornwall and finds things a lot harder than she thought and is it
the end for her and Matthew? For on
Jules (Never enough time to read)
It was ok.

The story started off interesting and then it just all became a bit dull, everything for the main character came way too easily. It was a chick lit without much drama. I did like the main plot, it just felt overly padded out by subplots - for me it might have made a better novella than novel.
Jo Sims
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book!First one I've read by Lucy Diamond,but will definitely be reading more!
Abby Nancarrow grimshaw
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an easy fabulous read! Enjoyed it very much can't wait to read another book by this author! A new favourite author!
Leah
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Evie Flynn has always felt like the black sheep of her family. Whilst her siblings have gotten married and have steady jobs, Evie finds herself moving from temp job to temp job, still searching for the job of her dreams. But when her Auntie Jo dies and leaves Evie her beloved beach cafe in Cornwall, Evie finally feels as though her life has purpose.She leaves Oxford and her boyfriend Matthew behind and begins trying to make her Auntie proud. Things are tough at first, but soon things begin to pi ...more
Whispering Stories
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Evie Flynn has always felt like the black sheep of her family, with two successful married sisters who both have children, Evie feels like she is a disappointment to her parents. Never being able to keep a steady job and moving from one temp job to another, stale relationship that is only held together by Saul, her boyfriend Matthew’s son and no path in life, who can blame her.

When Evie’s favourite Aunty Jo is tragically and suddenly killed in a car crash, Evie and her family are surprised to le
Rebecca Carter
I wasn't sure I'd like this book as I've only just started introducing some chick lit books back into my reading, as after a long stressful day I need some easy fluffy reading that doesn't require much brain power. I don't mean that in a sneery look down my nose snobby kind of way, as chick lit can be great. It's definitely my guilty little secret again.
Anyway I'll get to the book! It's centred around Evie a woman whose life is stuck in a bit of a rut and feels like she's the black sheep of her
Christy
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
After looking forward to reading this, it certainly didn't disappoint. It was exactly what I was hoping for. An easy, summer read, evoking images of warm beach days and crashing waves on the shore. It's fair to say the concept was not an original one, (I'm currently reading 2 other books with a similar storyline idea) however, it was enjoyably executed. It is comfortingly predictable, and kept me page turning. I knew what would happen next, but I was enjoying it so much, I would have been disapp ...more
fox
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantika, antika
Rozmyslam, co presne som vlastne cakala. Asi viac sebaironickeho humoru, nenarocne citanie do autobusu, s iskrou a prijemnymi postavami. Ibaze toto je regulerne citanie na plaz. Do plazovej tasky si s osuskou, opalovacim kremom, Cosmopolitanom a leskom na pery pribalite i toto. V ramci zanru je to lahky priemer, pokial by som to mala hodnotit samostatne, tak by to ostalo bez hviezdicky. Niezeby to bola vyslovene katastrofa, ale podobne pismenka na papieri nemaju ziadnu skutocnu hodnotu. Spolahli ...more
Hollie
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was initially attracted to this book because of the fact that it is set where I live- in Cornwall (and I may have wanted to indulge in a little bit of light hearted chicklit). This is a fun, happy go lucky book however there was one thing that persistantly annoyed me whilst reading and that was....the main character. Evie was just a bit too nice for my liking and everything was just a little bit too perfect. Now don't get me wrong I know this is whats to be expected with chicklit but the book ...more
Chrissi
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I sometimes love to indulge in a bit of chick lit, for me, it is great escapism and you don't need to think too hard to follow the story. I devoured this book within a day! I just loved the writing style and it was nice to be sucked away and transported to a beautiful part of the world. The writer's love of the beach really came through and it's something I could relate to. I would definitely read more from Lucy Diamond! A fabulous writer if you're into your chick lits.
Illona
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a lovely happy book. I am all for going away and working in a holiday town all year round now.

Seriously though, this book made me happy. It was lovely, moving, funny and with a bit of romance. This was my first Lucy Diamond and I am so pleased at having picked this up (mostly based on the title to be honest) in the store and ending up buying it. If you're looking for a great, fun read this will definitely do.
Danielle
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Well I started this book Friday afternoon and finnished it yesterday- due to the fact I was ill and couldn't do anything else!

Anyway, the story line is set in Cornwall and the main charachter is called Evie I loved every minute reading this book and I am in love with Lucy Diamonds writing styles- I think shes one of my favourite author's.
I found the charachters were so believable that they were part of my own life where ever I looked.

Kajol
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
3.5 stars - Pleasant feel-better read, I gave it 4 stars, only because of the "feel-better" angle that it rocked. A joyous read, gets a little dreary somewhere in the beginning when the heroine is still confused over what she should do..but picks up a fairly steady rhythm. All in all, I liked it. :)

Mandy Radley
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evie bit of a black sheep in the family inherits her aunt's beach side cafe on her unexpected death. After several appalling temping jobs and not really wanting to go into teacher training in September decides to try and make a go of the cafe over the summer. A lovely light hearted read on a wet day, perfect.
Ali Bookworm
After reading lots of similar summery books all set in either Cornwall or Devon I was beginning to think I was actually there! Its a nice tale though about Evie and having been to Cornwall I could picture myself on the beach watching the surfers. I also know what its like there with wet miserable weather so it was good to see that too (without spoilers). all in all another lovely summer read.
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Fab fab fab ... reminds me of my friend Sarah and I , going to Cornwall for a break .. this book is set in two places Oxford and Cornwall , what could be more apt!! It is a great Chick Lit .. read it anywhere .. and enjoy!!! Evie is the Black sheep of the family and her sisters always think she is going to get things wrong .. !!
Beth
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This is what I would call a pinky plonky book which I absolutely loved. Although nothing major, thrilling or brain challenging happens in the book I loved the main character and constantly hoped she would do well for herself. Look forward to reading more Lucy Diamond books for that extra escapism ! Therefore it deserves 5 stars in plonky plonk !
Kdnts
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super cute story. Easy to read contemporary novel about Evie and her quarter life crisis. Perhaps I liked this due to the coffee content and the fact that the idea of owning my own cafe on the beach is an appealing business proposition to me. However, the characters were still easy to like and the story moved along nicely.
Krysia Lucuk
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Perfect summer-time reading! Although predictable I couldn't help but envy the main characters lifestyle. Living by the beach, running a coffee shop and meeting delightful characters of all ages. I've already started looking at rent prices in Cornwall. Loved it!

Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this one and enjoyed every page, chick lit at its very best. Evie's a wonderful character, there are some superb supporting cast, and a really feelgood story. Maybe a bit predictable, but when it's done this well who cares?
  • Here Come the Girls
  • Wedding Tiers
  • Heaven Sent
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After
  • Breakfast at Darcy's
  • One Minute to Midnight
  • Winter Wonderland
  • Fairytale of New York
  • Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #1)
First of all, a confession. My name isn’t really Lucy Diamond at all, it’s Sue Mongredien. I’ve used a pen name because ‘Diamond’ is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than ‘Mongredien’ and also because I’ve written lots of children’s books too and wanted to keep the genres separate. (There is actually another Lucy Diamond on Amazon who writes religious children’s books. That isn’t me, though.)

I
More about Lucy Diamond...