Start by marking “The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)

The Beach Café

(The Beach Café #1)

Evie Flynn has always been the black sheep of her family - a dreamer and a drifter, unlike her over-achieving elder sisters. She's tried making a name for herself as an actress, a photographer and a singer, but nothing has ever worked out. Now she's stuck in temp hell, with a sensible, pension-planning boyfriend. Somehow life seems to be passing her by. Then her beloved ...more
Published June 2011 by Pan Macmillan (first published April 1st 2011)

Start your review of The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)
Rachel
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I'd like this. I'm a big fan of Jenny Colgan and I wondered if it would be a bit of a rip off of her Cupcake Cafe, Beach Street Bakery, or Sweetshop novels. But it wasn't at all. I ended up unable to put this book down. The main character, Evie, was identifiable and likeable, and she had a great relationship with her best friend which was nice to read. The lead guy in the book was great, and all the personalities of the characters involved in the Beacch Cafe were great too. I'm ...more
Anne
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Set in Cornwall, the heroine of the story is Evie - a thirty-something woman whose life is in a bit of a rut. She's the black sheep of the family, her sisters are both successful, gorgeous, well-groomed, married with children and have great careers. Evie goes from one temp job to another, not really knowing what she wants to do, her long-term relationship with geeky Matthew has gone a bit stale - the only great thing in her life is Saul, Matthew's young son who Evie adores.
Evie is devastated
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2016
After the last few books I read, I was really craving some lighthearted material to pass the time. I looked through my chick-lit books that I had lying around waiting to be read, and found this little gem. I had it for many years now, and I remember I bought it because of the rave reviews, so it seemed the perfect choice to get me going. Given the title, and the beach weather we've had here, it was exactly what I needed.

The Beach Cafe was a very well-written book, with interesting characters,
Rosanna Threakall
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The title is pretty self explanatory, this book is a cute summery read about a cafe by the beach! I loved that, despite the setting being Cornwall, I imagined my favourite sea side town in the UK, Broadhaven. The setting in this book was so good that it was so easy to imagine the cafe actually existing. I loved the protagonist, except her attitude towards men drove me a bit insane and I preferred her when she was in her independent woman phase.

This book wasn't perfect, though. I thought I could
Alison
I have no idea why I decided to buy this book, but buy it I did.

Evie Flynn is a bit of a drifter. She has artistic tendencies and wanted to be an actress but has settled for temporary office work. She lives with her boyfriend in Oxford and has two older, prettier, more successful sisters who love to condescend to "poor Evie".

When Evie's aunt dies in a car accident she leaves her beach cafe in Cornwall to Evie, her favourite niece. Evie soon discovers that she can't leave the cafe to muddle along
Luise
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This definitely was the perfect choice for my summer holiday read.

The characters are lovely, the setting is great and it has a really good balance of positive events and disasters happening.

So, while lying on the beach at the Dutch North Sea coast, I could perfectly immerse into the story about Evie Flynn and her charming beach café.
Amanda Patterson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Easy is the best way to describe this book.
Evie Flynn feels like a failure. Her work life is as lacklustre as her love life. Her aunt dies and leaves her a beach café. Does she change her life? Do I even have to answer that? Easily read and easily forgotten, this is a fluffy bit of nothing.
A beach read if you like reading on beaches.
Rebecca Carter
I wasn't sure I'd like this book as I've only just started introducing some chick lit books back into my reading, as after a long stressful day I need some easy fluffy reading that doesn't require much brain power. I don't mean that in a sneery look down my nose snobby kind of way, as chick lit can be great. It's definitely my guilty little secret again.
Anyway I'll get to the book! It's centred around Evie a woman whose life is stuck in a bit of a rut and feels like she's the black sheep of her
Rea Cobb
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Whilst I am waiting for some of my favourite authors to release their new books I have found myself reading a few books by authors I have not tried before. I have just finished The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond. I have seen books by Lucy Diamond on the shelves before but they have never seemed to stick out for me until I came across this one which once I had read the blurb I decided to give it a try.

Plot
Evie Flynn is in a relationship which doesn't seem to be going anywhere and is also stuck in a
Alyssa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book in a little OP SHOP while they were having their book sale, the beautiful cover caught my eye first, but the writing and the loveable main character, Evie, kept me reading. I found myself unable to put this book down, everything from the storyline to the characters was perfect.

This has to be one of my favourite books, genuinely one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in awhile.

Jules (Never enough time to read)
It was ok.

The story started off interesting and then it just all became a bit dull, everything for the main character came way too easily. It was a chick lit without much drama. I did like the main plot, it just felt overly padded out by subplots - for me it might have made a better novella than novel.
Kay Townsend
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a really good read which I enjoyed.
Jo
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved Evie & her Cornish adventure!
Real easy read with great characters!
Enjoyed this book a lot!
Shahrun
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-book-night
This book was rather predictable, but weirdly also very readable. I got so caught up in Evies life and dramas and found myself largely enjoying it all. I was frustrated by her inability to see the glaring obvious, but I guess who is when its their own life? I wasnt overly keen on the Quick Reads sequel A Baby At The Beach Café, but I am glad I gave this full length version a go. Good holiday read. ...more
Connie (hoot reads books)
After some thought I decided to boost my rating from 3.5 to 4/5. It's a really good contemporary romance and one of the better ones I read so far!

I find it rare to come across a fictional character that you can relate to which is exactly how I felt when reading about Evie Flynn. She is a thirty something year old who is a dreamer and a wanderer. Most of her life she has been an actress to photographer but nothing has ever worked. Now Evie is stuck in a stupid temp job with a half decent
Mandy Radley
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evie bit of a black sheep in the family inherits her aunt's beach side cafe on her unexpected death. After several appalling temping jobs and not really wanting to go into teacher training in September decides to try and make a go of the cafe over the summer. A lovely light hearted read on a wet day, perfect.
Alison
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it ... just a lovely easy feel good read .. i love beach stuff ... hey you know what is going to happen right from the beginning but what does it matter if you enjoy it along the way
Jo Sims
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book!First one I've read by Lucy Diamond,but will definitely be reading more!
Diane Will
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Starting of the year with an easy read from the TBR pile. Café and Cornwall seemed like a nice escape read and it was. Evie inherits her Aunts beach café. Stuck in a rut with temping jobs that are boring and going nowhere she decides to give it a go. Her boyfriend breaks up with her and she eventually moves to Cornwall. Lots of things to learn about running a wee business etc. A delightful jumble of likeable characters. It flows along gently with sometimes predictable outcomes, but nothing bad ...more
Bookworman
Nice story. Not sure if it rates as a re-read (3.5 stars) or a keeper (4 stars). Time will tell. However, I did enjoy it and recommend it to anyone looking for a sweet chicklit story with only a smidgen of profanity and sex (no TMI descriptions.

Diamonds writing, at least in this book, resembles Debbie Johnsons Comfort Food Cafe series. Totally different story but, if you like that series, you may enjoy this as well.
Abby Nancarrow grimshaw
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an easy fabulous read! Enjoyed it very much can't wait to read another book by this author! A new favourite author!
Alice-Rose Woods
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 Stars!
Hayley Hunter
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick, easy read with a sweet storyline and relatable characters. A bit predictable and cliche but captivating nevertheless. Would be a good read by the beach book! ...more
Elin
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hayley Hyde
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet little lighthearted fluffy read, loved the Cornwall setting.
Eli Kej
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow woooow!
Such a lush book, incredibly funny, engaging story plot, heart warming, real life characters, easy read, made me dance behind counter in my work shop - yes I am working in coffee shop. I picked this book purely for travelling to Cornwall this year and now I am hungry not only for Cornish pastries, but also will be watching for similar settings ...
As English is not my mother language I found the way of writing very contemporary and learnt loads of new words and phrases. Puck your
Jenna
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Such a sweet, heart warming story! You knew where it would end up but the story along the way was funny, sad, awkward and frustrating giving you every bit of emotions you can handle.
Despina
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside, was a perfect holiday book! I found there were a lot of similarities between Evie and myself, probably why I loved it so much!
Leah
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Evie Flynn has always felt like the black sheep of her family. Whilst her siblings have gotten married and have steady jobs, Evie finds herself moving from temp job to temp job, still searching for the job of her dreams. But when her Auntie Jo dies and leaves Evie her beloved beach cafe in Cornwall, Evie finally feels as though her life has purpose.She leaves Oxford and her boyfriend Matthew behind and begins trying to make her Auntie proud. Things are tough at first, but soon things begin to ...more
Mark
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
Yes, youre seeing this correctly, I read chick lit.

I read this because the kindle were borrowing for our rtw trip is from a friend on which we have a limited selection to read from! So Im foraying into chick lit- whoda thought?!

• Liten tvåa med potential
  • Söta, röda sommardrömmar
  • Med hälsning från Båstad
  • Ett oväntat besök
  • Bokhandeln på Riverside Drive
  • Änglarna dansar i gryningen (Emma #3)
  • Dan före dan
  • Manglade dukar och vikta servetter
  • 24 goda gärningar
  • Där rosor faktiskt dör (Begravningsbyrån Tranan, #1)
  • Pensionatet vid världens ände (Emma #2)
  • Julia och Jack
  • The Cornish House
  • Två hjärtans karameller
  • Bokcirkeln vid världens ände
  • My Single Friend
  • Villa Havsbris
  • Gröna fingrar sökes
Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name

First of all, a confession. My name isnt really Lucy Diamond at all, its Sue Mongredien. Ive used a pen name because Diamond is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than Mongredien and also because Ive written lots of childrens books too and wanted to keep the genres separate. (There is actually another Lucy

The Beach Café (3 books)
  • Christmas at the Beach Café (The Beach Café, #2)
  • Christmas Gifts at the Beach Café (The Beach Café, #3)

News & Interviews