Start by marking “Rainbow's End (Felse, #13)” as Want to Read:
Rainbow's End (Felse, #13)

Rainbow's End

(The Felse Investigations #13)

The sleepy village of Middlehope is suddenly jerked into life by nouveau riche antiques magnate Arthur Rainbow. In a whirlwind of activity he extravagantly refurbishes the Manor House, joins the Golf Club, Angling Society and Arts Council - and, in a ruthless coup, dislodges the old church organist to take over the position himself.

But for all his reforming zeal, the Middl
Published July 1st 1992 by Mysterious Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow's End

Yibbie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I loved the person who figured this out. He was so completely refreshing. That part of the story was really good. The ‘hero’ was a perfect mix of loyalty, mischief, genius, and stupidity. Well, maybe the officials didn’t interact in a totally realistic way, but that made for a good story. I really liked that part of the story.
The mystery itself was interesting. Maybe a bit farfetched, and the conclusion more so, but it had to do with lost manuscripts, forgeries, and bell towers so what could
Margaret
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Light and enjoyable, good mystery.
Sparrow
British mystery novels used to be filled with nostalgia for the aristocracy; now (that is, by 1978) they’re full of contempt for the nouveau riche. I hate to ruin a book’s plot, but once you notice that the pretentious antique dealer who’s just moved into Middlehope, in the “border country” near Wales, is Arthur Everard Rainbow, and remember that the book's title is "Rainbow’s End," the only question is whether Arthur will die or his beauteous gypsy-type wife, Barbara, whose every costume change ...more
Nancy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been an Ellis Peters fan for decades, but exclusively have read the Brother Cadfael stories.
This was my first Inspector Felse mystery and I enjoyed it immensely---primarily because I have a penchant for precocious children (EXCLUSIVELY in literature).

The young soloist in the church choir was full of mischief, full of ideas, full of fun and it was a treat for me that he and his friends played such an integral part in the mystery. One of the less than enthusiastic other reviewers commented
Abigail Reed
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hazy
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Eh. Mystery was alright, but I wasn't that invested in the characters. Probably because this is the last installment in the Felse mysteries, which is not always a good place to start when you're reading a new series. Wasn't my cup of tea, but not terrible by any means.
Patricia
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Number 13 and the last of the Chief Inspector Felse series ending with an exciting mystery. I have enjoyed the series and will one day return to enjoy them again. This kind of writing, courtesy of Ellis Peters/Edith Pargeter, is always a pleasure.
Joyce
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting.
Jane
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-myst
Bossie is *extremely* exasperating! Wonder where he'll end up - Oxbridge?
Jack
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George is investigating the murder of a wealthy antiques dealer. The characters include a group of Just-Williamesque schoolboys.
A.M.
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
I didn’t think I had even heard of this series when I read #12. But GR assured me that I owned one. I went looking in my cluttered shelves and found it, purchased in August 1987. Bloody hell. No wonder I’d forgotten.
This one reminds me of a Midsomer Murder script. A new, rich man moves into the village. Arthur Everard Rainbow. He takes over everything with money and force of personality. He tries to replace the local gentry as he sucks up to them and snubs the merchants. And he changes things to
Suzanne Moore
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
After a mysterious death occurs, Mr. Rainbow the church organist, is found to have met his demise by falling from the church's bell tower. The question is ... was the tragedy intentional, or accidental? And what was he doing in the bell tower to begin with? When upon further investigation evidence is found to suggest he was pushed the story goes into full swing ... leading one to suspect his wife, her admirer (lover?), a choirboy, among others. I wasn't drawn into the story, but as with all myst ...more
Julie
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to Julie by: Dad
Shelves: 2008
My dad picked this up because he loved the Cadfael mysteries so much. He didn't like it too well, but he passed it on to me anyway. As it turned out, I quite enjoyed it! I liked the characters, the plot was interesting, and it was intriguing reading about a murder investigation in a small town where everyone pretty much clams up and that isn't considered an obstruction of justice - it's expected. It poses some interesting problems.

I would read some of the other Inspector Felse mysteries.
Judith Rich
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, cosy-crime
I enjoy the Cadfael mysteries, but this just isn't as good. I also thought the time setting was strangely wobbly. The clothes people are described as wearing sound early 1970s, but everything else, especially the naughty choirboys, seemed very 1950s.

Without wishing to give anything away, there's an incident at the end where I was just left thinking the police surely wouldn't have let a load of non-police tag along with them?
Kathleen
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Rainbow's End and also the end of the Inspector George Felse mysteries. I think I must have missed this one, back in the years I was first reading this series. A pretty satisfying read, though I think even Ellis herself was running out of things for George and Bunty to do. After this book we meet Brother Cadfael, who brought the author more lasting fame.
Cindy
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries
Someone pushes the newcomer down the tower of the church steeple. Inspector George Felse must investigate. He has plenty of suspects, from the beautiful widow, the less than grief stricken mistress, the business rivals, and the hostile villagers.

I love these books. Too bad they are not in print anymore.
Sally
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
With Rainbow's End I've come to the last of the Inspector Felse mysteries that I have been able to get as audiobooks for now. I'll still be on the watch for 3 of the 13 in this series that I have not listened to. The writing is so enjoyable and the mysteries are creative. I would not classify them as typical cozy mysteries, but if you like that type, these will satisfy.
George
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
#13 in the Inspector George Felse mystery series set in England near the Wales border. A very good mystery regarding how a close knit community deals with a wealthy misfit who tries to take over the community. Plot involves murder, antiques and a brash youngster.
Maribeth
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
For some reason, I didn't enjoy the plot of this one as much as I have the other Inspector Felse books I've read. But it was still a good read and relationships between the members of the Felse family are always an added attraction.
Kiwi Carlisle
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the Felse series, but I think Peters was getting tired of it by this novel, which seems a tad shopworn in comparison to the rest
Of the series.
Maureen E
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not my favorite Peters, but the last in the Felse series, I believe. And that’s about all I can remember on this one! [July 2010]
Lorebound
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten how medievalist this book is.....
Paddy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
My first Ellis Peters...not a good way to start w/ a new author. She's no Dorothy Sayers.
Gill
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ep
I enjoyed this well-constructed story. The first "modern" detective story of Ellis Peter's that I have read.
Andrea Hickman Walker
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is a fun murder mystery that is well worth reading, like just about anything Peters has written, apparently. I'll be keeping an eye out for others in her Inspector Felse series.
Sylvia Izzo Hunter
Aug 14, 2016
Alberta Ross
Dec 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • The Saint and Mr. Teal (The Saint)
  • The Benevent Treasure (Miss Silver, #26)
  • The Green Branch (Heaven Tree, #2)
  • The Noble Outlaw (Crowner John Mystery #11)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • Wobble to Death (Sergeant Cribb #1)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • Best Detective Stories of Agatha Christie
  • Fen Country:  Twenty-Six Stories Featuring Gervase Fen (Gervase Fen, #11)
  • The Irish Cottage Murder (Torrey Tunet #1)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
A pseudonym used by Edith Pargeter.

Edith Mary Pargeter, OBE, BEM was a prolific author of works in many categories, especially history and historical fiction, and was also honoured for her translations of Czech classics; she is probably best known for her murder mysteries, both historical and modern. Born in the village of Horsehay (Shropshire, England), she had Welsh ancestry, and many of her sho

The Felse Investigations (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Fallen Into the Pit (The Felse Investigations #1)
  • Death and the Joyful Woman (The Felse Investigations #2)
  • Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)
  • A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs (Felse, #4)
  • The Piper on the Mountain (Felse, #5)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (The Felse Investigations #7)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Mourning Raga (Felse, #9)
  • The Knocker on Death's Door (Felse, #10)