Start by marking “Woof Meow Tweet-Tweet” as Want to Read:
Woof Meow Tweet-Tweet

Woof Meow Tweet-Tweet

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
How well do you really know what the differences are between a dog, a cat and a bird?

In this book, the magic of letters brings out the pictures. Words and sounds have taken the place of pictures to tell the inner story of dogs, cats, and birds, and their often hectic encounters.

A very funny story told in a graphically-arresting new way, Woof, Meow, Tweet-Tweet will charm r
Published May 1st 2011 by Seven Footer Press (first published October 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Woof Meow Tweet-Tweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woof Meow Tweet-Tweet

Adrienne Furness
I don't know how I missed this when it came out, but I love it. I think it's a little bit because I love words and a little bit because I love fonts and a little bit because I love dogs and cats and birds.
Diana Thomsen
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime, kids
I'm thinking this must have lost something in translation. At least, I hope it did, because, otherwise, this really is a disappointment. I greatly enjoyed the art style. The replacement of the animals with words representing their sounds was clever, and the minimalist style, while not normally my preference, really worked here. Kudos for that. However, I found the text unappealing. The animals were severely stereotyped, and I felt as though the author was pushing their personal views on the read ...more
Tasha
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This inventive picture book begins by asking if readers can tell the difference between a dog, a cat and a bird. The book goes on to explain the differences, such as a the dog lives outside during the day and the bird hates its cage. But instead of an illustration of the animals, Boyer has replaced them with the word for the noise they make: woof, meow, and tweet-tweet. The book continues showing the differences between the animals and eventually explores what happens when they meet each other, ...more
Anne
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, cats, birds
Every once in a while, I can tell a book isn't written by an American without knowing anything about the author (in this case, I didn't even see her name first before reading). This isn't a bad thing, as I really enjoyed this funny picture book about the differences between cats, dogs, and birds. But as soon as I saw the spread about the dog peeing on a wall, I was pretty sure we were dealing with a European import (indeed, from France).

That said, I think American kids will like this book. It h
Ashley
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This book tells the story of a dog, cat, and a bird and what happens when they all meet. The illustrations consist of the words "woof," "meow," and "tweet," instead of actual images of a dog, a cat and birds. From an adult point of view, I think it is an interesting concept and graphically pleasing to me. However, the simplicity of the story would make the age this book is suited for too young to understand the abstract concept of the words replacing the animals.
Mary Ann
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I particularly liked the feel of this book. It uses simple concrete poetry to show the animals. So you have "meow" sitting on a stuffed chair, quietly sitting just like a cat would, as the text says, "The cat prefers the comfort of a nice interior." The simple illustrations and text combine nicely with the concrete poetry to bring you into the story nicely. A good introduction to concrete poetry for young kids - not cluttered or busy, but simple and direct.
Robin
The dog, cat and bird in this book are represented by their sounds, in text: the bold, brown "woof" of the dog, the more refined "meow" (a serif font) of the cat, and the more delicate, thin "tweet-tweet" of the bird. Not much of a storyline but rather an exploration of what dogs, cats & birds are like. I think children will enjoy the concept and it helps to emphasize print awareness. Originally published in France as Ouaf Miaou Cui-Cui.
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Using a crisp graphic style, this picture book uses font, layout, and text to illustrate the differences among dogs, cats, and birds. The sound each makes stands in for the animal, so when we see a cat's favorite nap place, for example, there's a picture of a comfy sofa and the word "meow" nestled into one of the pillows. Simple concept, cleverly done.
Shelli
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book receives five stars because it was a totally new art concept that I have not seen before. Very simple drawings that were nothing fabulous BUT instead of showing the main characters of the story (the dog, cat, and bird) the illustrator used the words WOOF, MEOW, and TWEET-TWEET to represent the animals. Very clever!
Kate
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Neato! The dog, cat and bird are represented in the illustrations by the words "woof," "meow," and "tweet-tweet." Very sparse but effective design. BUT very advanced vocabulary - "venture," "interior," "solitary," "commotion."
Heidi-Marie
Not bad, but I think I would have preferred it in French. I liked seeing the animals' respective sounds being used to represent the animals. A couple of parts that I thought were just "OK." A couple that I really liked. The ending seemed kind of off, but maybe that was a translation thing.
Jen
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime
a book about cats, dogs and birds that doesn't have any pictures of any animals, just the noise they make in their natural environments. very interesting. Makes some broad generalizations about each animals behaviour however. could be a good book for participation.
Shawna
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
What an interesting concept, using the sounds the animals make to represent the animals themselves. This book shares some of the characteristics of a dog, a cat, and a bird. I loved the illustration when the animals meet! I think my students would enjoy having this read to them!
Taylor Troncin
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

Wesley really liked acting out the sounds and movements of the animals.
Amanda
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is enjoyable because the geometric artwork is brightly colored and it uses the sound words to depict how a cat, a dog, and a bird differ in their daily activities. Really cute, comical, and great for ages two and up.
Kristin
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
What if animals in a picture book manifested themselves as the words describing the sounds they make? Kind of a arty picture book, but great for those who like that kind of thing.
Karen A.
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Clever. Good for any dog, cat, or bird storytime. Kids will especially like the scenario of what happens when these creatures all meet. Especially if they can make the noises too!!!
Beth
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love!
Deborah
Apr 15, 2011 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
A dog, a cat, a bird, represented by "woof", "meow", "tweet-tweet" – a child's introduction to the word on the page.
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
and you never see one of them!
Dolores
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very clever.
Stefani
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Okay story that is made great by replacing images of dogs, cats, and birds by the words woof, meow, and tweet-tweet. This would make a great example for print awareness.
Miri
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Great illustrations, and a great premise—each animal is represented by the word for the sound it makes. Each gets its own font, and it's amazing how expressive they are.
Megan
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lilli loved this one - so maybe other younger kids will too
Heather
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
so cute!
Beverly
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, cats, dogs
An interesting book in which the words "woof," "Meow," and "tweet-tweet" are substituted for the actual animal in the spare illustrations.
Lonica
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really appreciate the clever, graphic images of this simple book.
Roben
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is just a really clever book. I can see a storytime with the kids joining in to add their own Woofs, Meows, and Tweet-Tweets!
Sharon