Start by marking “The Riders of the Sidhe” as Want to Read:
The Riders of the Sidhe

The Riders of the Sidhe

(Sidhe Legends #1)

A boy, Lugh Lamfada, escapes the destruction of his home by sinister forces. Rescued by sea-god Manannan MacLir, Lugh is sent into Eire on a mission: to aid the Tuatha de Darnann, enslaved by monstrous pirates called Fomor.

Lugh boldly invades the Fomor headquarters, a Tower of Glass, and discovers that the Fomor are the ones who destroyed his home. Through intr
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published October 1st 1988 by Spectra (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Riders of the Sidhe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riders of the Sidhe

Adam Copeland
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
If you like ancient mythology, especially ancient Irish mythology, you'll like Kenneth C. Flint's "Riders of the Sidhe" which recounts the beginnings of the Irish hero Lugh of the Long Arm in an entertaining novelized form.

All the classic elements of a hero's quest, and a boy's coming of age, are present as the sea god Manannnan MacLir sends the young orphan Lugh on a mission into the beautiful Eire to learn the truth of the conflict between the Tuatha de Danann and the monstrous Fom
P.M.
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed - a fantasy book based on Irish legends. Loved it!
Roland Volz
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book almost thirty years ago, when it was my gateway to the world of modern fantasy literature. The writing style is extremely engaging, retelling the Irish folktales with a more modern style and tone works -- the characters take on a real life of their own and draw you in to their trials and tribulations.

From a purely fantasy standpoint, this book is the beginning of a quest tale: the hero must overcome the challenges of an unjust world while learning the secrets o
Lena
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a young teenager and it has always stayed with me, in my mind and on my bookshelf throughout countless moves. It's an excellent novelization of Irish mythology. I'll probably read it again someday.
Frederick  Lopez
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Irish mythology gets the Star Wars treatment in this neglected 1984 classic from American author Kenneth Flint.

The tale being retold concerns Lugh Lamfada, a Renaissance man in the Iron Age, whose mission it is to liberate Ireland from the Fomor, a nation of deformed pirates. Their leader is Balor, a giant with an eye that can shoot fire. By and by things resolve as they usually do between heroes and villains, although in Flint’s telling events are stretched out into a typical fantas
Melissa Cuevas
Have tried to read this three different times right now. Can't quite figure out what is going on here, but bluntly, I just can't finish it. I should like this book a lot, the writing is strong, the genre is well within what I love, but something just won't click for me here with this one. It feels like parts are missing, and what is here doesn't seem to fill the gap. I wish I could come up with a concrete reason why, but there isn't one. Not terrible. Just not personally engaging enough for me.
Gerald Black
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I first read this book it instantly became one of my favorites because I am a big fan of celtic mythology and also there is a lot of action. It is a shame there haven't been any recent works from this author. Everything he has written is well done.
April S
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting series about early Ireland legends. I read this series a long time ago and loved it but could never find the third book. It is fantasy based on some prominent characters from Irish legends. It helps to understand the society of those early days.
Kimberly
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoying the Irish myth set.
Andreea Pausan
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A coming of age story, with a combination of Celtic myths and legends in a future destroyed by technology.
Ronmorris2
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good book. Kenneth Flint is no Tolkien, but the book has a lot of similarities to LOR. Not suprising since he has a MS in English Literature. Remain true to who you are. Keep your promises.
Arlene Allen
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Amazing to see what stays in print and what doesn't.
Edilberto Verzo jr.
Apr 02, 2009
Jonathan
Jun 13, 2011
Kenneth Flint
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Peter Sandham
Oct 04, 2018

• The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Mad Amos
  • The Gorgon and Other Beastly Tales
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers (War Surplus, #1)
  • The Serpent (Atlan, #1)
  • Rats and Gargoyles (White Crow Sequence #1)
  • Enchanted Pilgrimage
  • Cats Have No Lord
  • Lifehouse (Lifehouse, #3)
  • The Snake Oil Wars or Scheherazade Ginsberg Strikes Again (Snake Oil, #2)
  • King Kobold Revived (Warlock, #3)
  • As on a Darkling Plain
  • Streetlethal (Aubrey Knight, #1)
Kenneth C. Flint, who has also written under the pseudonym Casey Flynn, is an American fantasy novelist. A resident of Omaha, Nebraska, Flint has now published 18 books, in both print and eBook format. A majority of his works are either based on Irish myths and legends, or else are original stories involving concepts, and sometimes characters, from Irish mythology. His best known works center arou ...more

Sidhe Legends (4 books)
  • Champions of the Sidhe
  • Master of the Sidhe
  • Heart of the Sidhe (Sidhe Legends, #4)