Start by marking “Batman: Arkham Asylum, un lugar sensato en una tierra sensata (Especiales Batman Edición Absolute)” as Want to Read:

Batman: Arkham Asylum, un lugar sensato en una tierra sensata

(Batman: One-Shots)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  52,776 ratings  ·  1,622 reviews
ARKHAM ASYLUM è un thriller psicologico che ha come protagonista Batman e tutti gli ospiti del manicomio criminale di Gotham City. Liberati da un Joker più folle che mai, i reclusi, tra i quali spiccano personaggi tutt’altro che raccomandabili del calibro di Due Facce e lo spaventapasseri, si impadroniscono del manicomio e trattengono in ostaggio il personale. Per liberarl ...more
Hardcover, Speciale Batman: Edizione Absolute, 288 pages
Published January 2008 by Planeta DeAgostini Comics (DC Comics) (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.
G. Salter If you're not used to comic books with surreal/abstract art and like to understand everything you read, I suggest you read it slowly and get the…moreIf you're not used to comic books with surreal/abstract art and like to understand everything you read, I suggest you read it slowly and get the 15th-anniversary edition, which includes the original script in case you get confused.(less)

Jeff
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
The Caped Crusader with footnotes!?!

or Art for Art’s Sake.

or Holy Histrionics, Batman, I’d rather have listened to an opera…

Grant Morrison gets “serious” – it’s even mentioned in the title twice in case you need a reminder – and if Carrot Top wants to star in a remake of Death of a Salesman or Billy Joel wants to write a concerto for flugelhorn and triangle, I don’t want to hear about it.

Wait, Jeff, did you say footnotes?

Yes, Goodreader, this is why I love you, because nothing ever gets by you.
Eric
May 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
What a fucking mess. The painted artwork was appalling, the story-line was incoherent, the dialogue was barely legible, and, most importantly, the portrayal of Batman was all wrong. This felt like a second-rate haunted-house horror that Batman was wedged into, and poorly at that. Batman's encounters with various villains felt thrown-in, in a cheap name-dropping way, his decision-making was baffling to non-existent, and the story's resolution -- hanging on a coin-flip -- was absurd.

The back-stor
Anne
Sorry, guys. Didn't like it.

I have a headache and my eyes hurt.
Not joking here.
One of my eyes is actually throbbing.
Yes, only one.
I'm going to take some Tylenol...
Keith
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So after buying this book for the third time in my life today (the first, a hardcover edition that all the pages eventually fell out of; the second, the paperback edition sans script that now sits across the country with the rest of my books) I decided it was worth going on Goodreads to wax poetic about it. Because goddamn I love this book. I got it right after the '89 movie came out, of course, and was absolutely terrified of it -- it sat on my nightstand and gave me nightmares regularly, until ...more
StoryTellerShannon

This is not your traditional Batman tale. Some people won't like it. In fact, Batman seems like a normal man when confronted by the horrors within and acts in very non Batman ways. There's a two part story here where we switch back and forth to the founder of Arkham and why he turned his mansion into a facility for the mad and Batman trying to navigate his way through the madness of Arkham.

Batman action is minimal. This is much more of an emotional journey.

There is distinctive lettering for
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Batman: Arkham Asylum. The story isn't to my liking (although the Joker grabbing Batman's arse is something one doesn't see often).

Also, I found the art style too weird.

description
Andrew Webb
Jul 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many a poor/overrated Batman story in my ten-odd years as a fan, but this much referred to epic may take the cake. As a Batman story, this is a total failure. Batman acts completely out of character almost from the beginning. When walking into a hostage situation masterminded by the Joker, he strikes up a conversation with his archenemy rather than planning how to rescue the innocents involved. When Joker shoots a hostage in the head across the room from Batman (I think-- the bizarre ...more
Sam Quixote
Based solely upon his 2006-2013 run, Grant Morrison might be the greatest Batman writer of all time. But he wasn’t always so brilliant as his first Batman book, the mega-selling Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, shows.

The inmates have overrun the asylum and are holding civilians hostage. With Joker running free with a knife, Batman goes into the asylum to stop him and enters a nightmarish netherworld. Meanwhile, the troubled life of the asylum’s founder, Amadeus Arkham, is explor
Marc
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intellectual art lovers
Arkham Asylum is the best graphic novel I've ever read for two reasons: writing, and art.

This isn't your average WHACK! POW! comic book. In fact, there is almost no violence or glammed-out secret weapons. Grant Morrision takes us through a masterful exploration into the psyche of Bruce Wayne, a man who suffered a tragic loss at an early age and formed a very clear alternate identity. Is he a crime fighter, or does he suffer from MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder), and does it even matter.

Set in
Gianfranco Mancini

Absolutely not just a graphic-novel.

This is a dream-like lynchian descent into madness.

Best Dark Knight story ever with "The Dark Knight returns" and "The Killing Joke".

A masterwork.
Foad
یکی از کمیک های به یاد موندنی بتمن.
بذارید اینجوری شروع کنم.

مرد عنکبوتی، خصوصیت اصلیش سرزنده بودنشه. پیوسته طنز میگه و خود شیوه ی حرکتش (تاب خوردن هاش) این سرزنده بودن رو تقویت میکنن.
سوپرمن، خصوصیت اصلیش درستکاری و عدالت جو بودنشه.
کاپیتان آمریکا، خصوصیت اصلیش افتخار و وفاداری و سرباز بودنشه، که از اسم و لباسش هم میباره این خصوصیت.

شخصیت بتمن، با هراس آمیخته شده. خصوصیت اصلی بتمن، بی رحم و جدی بودنشه. این خصوصیت اخلاقی کاملاً با لباس سیاه، با خفاش و نهایتاً با شب گرد بودنش خیلی متناسبه.

طراح های شخص
Madeline
i think ADHD being a form of higher evolution is an interesting theory. grant morrison thinking he is more highly evolved because he has ADHD is a less interesting theory.

morrison is no genius, in my opinion. i would attribute most of the greatness of the book to mckean, especially after reading the original "script" in the back of this book. morrison says, "According to Len Wein's original WHO'S WHO entry, Arkham died singing "the Battle Hymn of the Republic," but for some reason I got confused
Briar's Reviews
I love comic books, but this one didn't do it for me.

I didn't like the art style, even if it was quite beautiful. For me, this style of comic didn't do Batman justice. It seemed very messy to me, and it didn't let me focus. I think this art style could work well with other characters, but not one where I want to pay attention to detail. It just felt to fuzzy.

There's footnotes in this edition, which seems really weird to me. Why does a comic book need footnotes? Shouldn't you be able to get the p
Julian
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A batman tale at its best, as it reaches unflinchingly deep into the recesses of the human psyche. While the comic may be accused by some as symptomatic of an attempt at at best, pop psychology, I think the authors have done a marvellous job in portraying the differences by which Batman and The Joker are negotiating what are in essence, very similar psychological conflicts.
This is done on a backdrop literally seething with a brooding, menacing perceived threat of total disintegration, which was
Andrew
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ok. I've heard about this title and I know there is a videogame inspired by this comic, but I never seen nothing, before today. While I was out of home, I stopped to comic book store, searching some good comics and I bought this.

The story start with patients of Arkham Asylum, many of them caught by Batman, that have took possession the building. The Dark Night is forced to enter, giving himself for the hostages, putting himself in the hands of his enemies. I read many favorite comments about thi
Donovan
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I did not like this mess of a book. There isn't much of a plot. The artwork and lettering is undecipherable. I understand that Morrison is trying to do a dark ethereal fantasy symbolic of Batman's psychosis, while giving Arkham Asylum a "creepy crawly" history, but that's not really enough for an entire book.
Knjigoholičarka
Ima svega, i predivnog, nadrealnog Mekinovog crteža, i zanimljive priče, i Džokera u štiklama, i ezoterijskog simbolizma, i Alise u zemlji čuda. Volem <3
Effie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μου πήρε λίγο να συνηθίσω την αισθητική του, αλλά τελικά το ευχαριστήθηκα.
Roxanne
I've read this twice now and i still can't decide whether i like this or not, whether it just leaves me confused or making me feel like an old lady trying to fucking read what the fuck Joker is saying!?

The art is mayhem it sets the story up perfectly and it is beautifully if not hauntingly done so. I do think the artwork is better than the actual story though, and maybe the plot relies on the artwork too much as it's not the strongest plot and the ending is pretty weak too. Saying that i did rea
Stephen
3.5 stars. Superb art by Dave McKean and a mostly good story by Grant Morrison (with flashes of brilliance) highlight this quality Batman graphic novel. The reason it doesn't rate higher overall is because there were a few "huh?" moments where the story was a bit hard to follow and I think the creators at times sacrificed story at the altar of atmosphere.
Ivan
Jul 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Worst Batman comic by far.I didn't like it's highly praised painted art style and I hated how Batman is portrayed.Bruce Wayne, man who is mentally and physically trained to perfection, man who's contingency plans have contingency plans just walks in and surrenders to Joker and becomes poor victim in this wannabe horror.
Brandon
Batman is alerted that the inmates of Arkham Asylum have taken over the premises. If this isn't dangerous enough, they're threatening to murder everyone in the facility unless Batman agrees to a face to face meeting.

I understand that a lot of people can appreciate the style in which both Morrison and McKean approached Batman, however this just wasn't for me. Maybe I like my stuff a little more.. focused? I have no idea if that's the right word. I feel like I'm almost speaking a form of blasphemy
Zaki
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like dark, sinister and menacing stuff. Arkham Asylum threw out the rule book and invented a new one. A darker one. A cruel one.

And it tests the boundaries of your comfort zone.

I adore every twisted page. They have a rich and dark quality. My mind is full of dark thoughts. I only think in black.
Werebot
Dec 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the one Batman fan in the world who hasn't read it.
I know that a lot of the modern Batman mythos has a lot to do with the whole evil outside vs. darkness within motif, but this is ridiculous. What a pretentious bunch of nonsense. And I've never gotten the attraction to Dave McKean's art. But then, I'm not a goth nerd. I can never tell what's going on, everything's too dark and splotchy and covered in symbols. This is a Batman comic book. Let's not overthink it. When did we let the British take over our comic books anyway? Neil Gaiman and co. nee ...more
Tokio Myers
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-comics
Once again Grant Morrison proves my theory that he just shouldn't write batman comics. Seriously, Batman just stands there and let's Joker and all them do stuff to him. Yep that's totally the Batman I know, not. Oh and Batman is crazy, thanks for telling me Mr. Morrison; I know how much you like to bring it up since every Batman comic you write about you have to mention it. Talk about beating a horse to death

I did some what enjoy Dave McKean's artwork kind of reminds me of Kingdom Come, but the
Pablo
Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No me ha gustado nada. Tan pronto como pasaba páginas olvidaba lo que acababa de leer. Cuando me he cansado lo he dejado.
El dibujo es muy expresivo, sugerente y experimental, pero agota y a veces no distingues qué estás mirando.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
My dislike of this book borders on violent. I realize what the author and artist were going for, and I appreciate the foreward and even the screenplay with commentary. I admit I gave up on reading the whole screenplay because I was tired and wasn't feeling well, and felt my time was better spent moving on. However, even gaining insight into their thought processes didn't make me like this book any more.

I am an artist, and I love art. However, I am not a fan of art becoming so all-consuming that
Sesana
I admit, I picked this up for a re-read after playing Arkham Asylum. Fantastic game, by the way, well-written, with great action and incredible voice acting. But this is not about that game, about which I could rave for hours.

I remember loving this graphic novel when I first read it, but reading it again I can't exactly remember why. It's still well-written, and the Arkham backstory is interesting enough that it's apparently been kept. But pretty much everybody that shows up feels out of charact
Jesse A
Unfortunately one of GMs more out there works. Not a fan of the art either.
Alessio
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Cupo e tetro al punto giusto. Avrei forse messo in risalto meglio la 'pazzia' del Joker. Disegni spaventosi!!
  • Batman: Haunted Knight
  • Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
  • Batman: The Man Who Laughs
  • Batman/Two-Face/Scarecrow: Year One
  • 52, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Bloodstorm
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
  • Batman: Black and White (Batman: Black and White #1)
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

Batman: One-Shots (1 - 10 of 140 books)
  • Batman Special (1984) #1