Start by marking “The Artist's Way Workbook” as Want to Read:
The Artist's Way Workbook

The Artist's Way Workbook

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  864 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
For the millions of people who have uncovered their creative selves through the "Artist's Way" program-a workbook and companion to the international bestseller.
Alife-changing twelve-week program, "The Artist's Way" has touched the lives of millions of people around the world. Now, for the first time, fans will have this elegantly designed and user-friendly volume for use
Published September 1st 2006 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Way Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Way Workbook

Pat Jennings
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is the quintessential book for all creatives. Julia Cameron wisely guides the novice to the seasoned artist through the ups and downs of making art. Whether it be writing, screen plays, directing, acting, music makers, painters, whatever kind of creative soul you are, the issues of fear of failure, dry spells, relevance are addressed along with many activities which uncover the underlying hang ups that derail many artists. This is the second time I have read this book. The second ...more
Natasha (Diarist) Holme
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who do their homework
Recommended to Natasha (Diarist) by: A friend
Got this for my birthday from a friend. Took it on holiday to read. Discovered it was a book of exercises to be completed over months. So, I'd backed myself into a corner. I always do all my homework, and I did every last bit of this. Didn't skip a morning page, went on all my artist's dates, etc. I got some good fun out of it. Most memorable artist's date: I flew an airplane.
Jessi MotherFucking Ross
Julie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I put off reading this book for 15 years because of the God stuff, but now that I'm open to spirituality I was able to read it and be open to many of the ideas. That said, the spiritual flavor isn't right for me. To me, the spirituality in this book comes across as generic and is hard to connect with because it seems watered down, generalized, and not authentic. The morning pages (for me) are the most useful thing that came from this book. I did find some insights in the chapters, but the artist ...more
Jennifer Smith
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first attempted this in 1999, but barely started. This last June I decided that it was time to take a second crack at it and I am so very glad that I did. Not only was the daily writing a wonderful exercise, but she thoroughly attacks any excuse one has to not create. Her tasks are grounded in creative visualization as well as practicality. I recommend this to any kind of artist who finds themselves "stuck".
Kasey
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 12 week program into more fully releasing your creativity. I just finished week 1 and must say I did not expect it to be as powerful as it was. I'm looking forward to the next 11 weeks and to whom I am becoming as an artist. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to write, draw, paint, sing, whatever your chosen method of creating...It requires a commitment, and it's worth it.
Dan Charnas
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book all the way through because I found the author's ideas to ring true with me. Now, I'll be returning to it to fulfill on the creativity exercises provided at the end of each of the twelve chapters.
The author was greatly influenced by her experience with AA, and the philosophy of a strong belief in God, the self-affirmations, and the reflections you are asked to make about what might be blocking you and why were inspiring to me. (There are 12 chapters in the book - not a coinciden
Uwe Hook
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You do not need to be an artist in the sense of a gifted painter, sculptor, writer, musician, etc. to enjoy this book. We are all artists in that each of us designs, creates and shapes our own future. We make the choices that will determine where our paths will lead. The only limitations we have are those we place on ourselves.
Julia Cameron makes the journey a little smoother by helping us rid ourselves of life's negative emotions - fear, jealousy, guilt, limited beliefs, etc. While the book mak
Andrea Judy
The spirituality new-age type feel of this made it a struggle for me at points. Some of the sections are also ridiculously repetitive, telling the same thing over and over.
This workbook contains a 12 week program to reignite your creativity, and I think some of the exercises are great. I'm particularly a fan of morning pages (big shout out to 750 words!) and liked some of the exercises to unleash your inner creator.
That said, I really didn't like how the creative side was continuously spoken a
Toni Apicelli
I have read the book that goes with this workbook more than once to jumpstart my writing and have always found it useful. I like using the workbook for the same purpose. The book is a necessity. The workbook is a nice tool as well.
Talya
Great not only for artist but for people who feel creatively blocked in life.
Susan Botich
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I finished this amazing workbook a few weeks ago (it's a 12-week course book), it's still difficult for me to say fully how I feel about the course/workshop. This book is a very comprehensive workbook focused on helping the reader open his/her creative potential. Each of the 12 chapters is a week's worth of varying tasks and exercises, sometimes feeling a bit daunting to me. But, then again, the goal of the workbook is to get the reader/participant to engage in creative thinking, att ...more
Muneeb Iqbal
In the start this book was boring for me as I grade my self as very logical person and not into art or some thing (at least i used to think before this book). This book forced me to think more about my self and I think either you are logical or what ever your mbti type is or your personality is you are an artist in what ever you do and there are many creative killing points for you. Creativity is not easy; similarly you are so involved in your life that u don't give time to pamper your self but ...more
Maria
Apr 03, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I am very resistant to The Artists Way, particularly on account of what I have heard about the morning pages. However, I am looking for ways to add some structure to my creative life and there don't seem to be resources dedicated to actors. Besides, I love workbooks. They carry such a sense of accomplishment.

I've been working with this book for about 6 weeks now and am really enjoying it. The language is ridiculously new-agey but writing 3 pages in the morning is really fantastic. There is also
Zoe
Somewhere around Chapter Nine, my reading of this book trailed off and life took over - in a good way. The book did me an enormous amount of good, and I recommend it to anyone who's in an existential crisis about their creative work and who doesn't mind encountering the word "God" from a Christian world-view. I may come back to it again. It took me places I didn't think I would go, and I feel clearer and stronger now than I did before reading it. Affirmations are one of the primary tools used he ...more
Jenny G
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My creativity has expanded a lot since I started this workbook. One of my favorite artist's dates was going to the dollar store and exploring the craft section. Another good one was visiting the art exhibit at Art Reach. I did artist pages for several days and I think that is part of the reason why I was successful at filling out an entire journal. I think that there are noticeable improvements in my artistic and spiritual side since deciding to do this workbook. I recommend it to anyone who is ...more
Melanie Mole
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This book is a great accompaniment to The Artist's Way. It clearly sets out the tasks or exercises which you should be trying to help you be more creative. There are sections left blank for you to write in and record your ideas and thoughts. I found it very helpful and it definitely helped my creativity flow in the right direction. Thank you Julia! I would recommend this to anyone who needs a push in the right direction.
Satish
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely worth checking. Personally I did not like it as much as I should have. May be it's because of the cult-ish feel of this book.

But there is one thing that I took a leaf out of this book: Morning Pages. Yes, they are very effective and a great habit to hold for any one who want to be successful at anything not just arts.
Jeff Meyer
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended, top-10
Blocked? Stuck? Discover the truth that discipline unlocks creativity. The discipline of the Morning Pages that Julia Cameron enforces has been a life-saving exercise. The daily writing, the weekly writing prompts, and the soul searching questions presented in this book have made it more than a book. The Artist's Way is a life-changing journey. I can't wait to start it again!
Sherri Dub
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great companion to the actual book. This is a 12 week commitment of time, but it will teach you a lifetime's worth of lessons to apply to your own art. I'm going to tell everyone about this book, if they inquire about being stuck or blocked. Ms. Cameron really knows her stuff. She's tough, but she gets the best out of you, making you want to get it all down on the morning pages.
Bookdoctor
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading I thought "this is to out there for me", but I stuck to it and I really got use to her style of writing. The twelve-week-programme to release your inner artist is really quite impactful. Great book to gain more insight into your relationship with artistry and creativity.
Chelsea
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far this book has been amazing for me... I'm getting past a lot of the emotional shit that keeps me from creating, mostly by incorporating accountability into my every day. I'll write more when I've completed the book.
Melissa
Nov 04, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
the work book is a great companion piece to the artist's way book. The pages are very large so it gives you a sense of expansion as you're writing. filled with quotes form the artists way and companion chapters to coincide with the artist's way chapters
Jamie
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to this one in a college course at MSU. Loved the clas, and was inspired by the book/text. I love the ideas to enhance creativity. I use it in teaching creative writing to high school students.
Ilze
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Margot Sennett
She might have unusual methods, but the results are amazing! During the time I was working through this book, I wrote a short story. Looking back at it now, it surprises me that I could write like that!
Colleen
Apr 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very funky dunky, did I mention New Age-y (yikes!) I actually tossed it. I was invited by a member of my writer's group to delve in; however the methodoligies do not align with my prerogatives which I do want to align with those of the Almighty God.
Valerie
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Keenan
The projects and recommendations are time-consuming and may not necessarily be useful to every artist's practice, but Cameron provides a "way in" to the unconscious mind and creative power for those willing to go on the journey.
Kathy
This was a good way to get back in touch with my creative side. I regularly do journals, but this was more about examining some issues and figuring out my own voice. I liked the idea of doing something each week for myself, which isn't always easy for me to do.
May McGoldrick
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I've gone through her steps of writing free hand three pages a day and twenty minutes walks and the once a week journey. I believe there's a total affect in my attitude about life any time I go through with it.
Dorie
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this book many years ago but I wasn't ready for it. But now that my creativity has bit the dust, reading it really transformed the way I look at every day and the way I look at the creative process.
  • The How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci Workbook: Your Personal Companion to How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Artist's Way at Work: Riding the Dragon
  • Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process
  • The Creativity Cure: A Do-It-Yourself Prescription for Happiness
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • Think Like Da Vinci: 7 Easy Steps to Boosting Your Everyday Genius
  • One Continuous Mistake: Four Noble Truths for Writers
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story that Sells
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • The Trickster's Hat: A Mischievous Apprenticeship in Creativity
  • SARK's Journal  and Play! Book
  • How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul
  • My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the Beau ...more
More about Julia Cameron...

“The great acting coach Michael Chekhov advised his students, “If you want to work on your art, work on your life.” 1 likes
“It is always necessary to acknowledge creative injuries and grieve them. Otherwise, they become creative scar tissue and block your growth.” 0 likes