Start by marking “A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground” as Want to Read:
A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground

A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This imaginative approach to Jesus studies chronicles the journey of Norm, a fictional college graduate who travels to the Middle East to see if he can study Jesus and follow him at the same time, and if curiosity will make him a better disciple or no disciple at all.

Norm sets out on an adventure to investigate the New Testament and the life of Jesus for himself, hitchhiki
Published May 1st 2011 by Baker Academic (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus

Michael
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
"A fictional account of a religious studies student going to the Middle East to investigate "where Jesus walked." I'm using this as a textbook in my Historical Jesus class in the spring. It's fun! Some of it is a little contrived, as the didactic purposes seem to override the narrative purposes. When one realizes that it was written by a biblical scholar rather than a novelist, one can forgive these "venial sins."" (12-24-12?)

The book seemed awfully rushed at the end, as Fisk brings up all these
Jocelyn
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
We'd like to know what Jesus was really like -- what he said and did. In the character of a graduate student traveling around Israel, Bruce Fisk examines the issues and cuts through the academic quagmire, winding up with some (to me) eminently reasonable conclusions. Extra bonus: sprinklings of Monty Python.
Phil Whittall
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The quest for the historical Jesus is littered with boring books; not so this one. Professor Bruce Fisk has combined the fictional story of Norm, a post-grad student exploring Israel in a personal quest to discover the ‘real’ Jesus with a textbook to all the historical and theological issues that arise from reading the Gospels to brilliant effect.

Here are a few reasons why; firstly, the storyteller is Norm, and the first person narrative makes this easy to read and not a laborious academic exerc
Callum Iles
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bruce N. Fisk is a likeable New Testament scholar currently serving as the Professor of Religious Studies at Westmont College, Santa Barbara.

A Hitchhiker’s Guide to Jesus is a fictional account of a young theological student hitchhiking his way around Jerusalem and its surroundings in search of the true Jesus and the meaning of His life. By comparing and contrasting the different gospels, and by embracing the differing and often heretical views on them, Fisk pieces together what was most likely
Jim Dressner
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
I wish I would have had textbooks like this when I was in seminary.

This book focuses on understanding the gospels while taking into account textual issues, other historical sources, and middle eastern culture. The fictional narrator, a recent graduate from seminary, travels through the "holy land", interacts with a wide array of characters, continues his research at libraries, and maintains a running Q&A with his seminary professor. This blend of information, comparing sources, multiple per
Juliette
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, religious
Bruce Fisk is currently my New Testament professor and it was a great experience to read this book and have the author explain it to you. Some may think it's a bit egotistical and all with the author making you read and write a paper and his book, but I don't think that's the case. Thanks to Dr. Fisk, I have learned so much more about the Bible and Jesus' life than I thought I would, considering I've grown up in a Christian home. He gave great insight and explanations into why he wrote what he w ...more
Lizzy
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of helping Bruce edit this book while we traveled together in the Middle East. I cannot recommend it enough. It is an honest, insightful, and engaging read. It follows Norm (the main character) as he travels in the Middle East--his interactions, adventures, and his journey through Biblical and historical scholarship. Bruce Fisk encourages the 1st century and the 21st century speak to each other and that conversation will leave the reader changed.
Richard Brand
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps one of the more entertaining ways to engage in Biblical study. I did not find anything new but the questions are raised in a very human way, and the answers are still as unsettled as ever. The hope that some study will remove the mystery from faith is strong, but it continues to encounter the reality that the only answers to those questions is faith. I think this is a much better exploration into the difficulties of the Bible than the stuff Bart Erhman does.
Brendyn
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The beginning of the book makes the author sound like a jerk, and some of the information is hard to swallow. If you have strong faith in Christ read it. If you don't study this book with someone or with a group. The book ends with the conclusion that Jesus did come to this and and that the Gospels are reliable sources (as most of us know already).
Dave McNeely
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful wedding of fiction and New Testament scholarship that would be ideal for students interested in New Testament scholarship and how it shapes our everyday understanding of the New Testament and faith.
Jesus C
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent tool when trying to understand the New Testament. The author arranged the material in a modern and interesting order. There are a lot of sources paired with referenced biblical text.
Kurt Struckmeyer