Start by marking “Inquisition” as Want to Read:
Inquisition

Inquisition

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
alternate cover can be found here
A mighty Archbishop. A brilliant scientist. And a killer about to strike . . . A.D. 1311. Mondino is a university anatomist - a man of science in a land governed by the Catholic Inquisition. But the corpse brought to Mondino's laboratory one stormy night defies natural law: The victim is a Templar knight, and his heart has been transformed
Paperback, 1st Edition, 484 pages
Published September 1st 2011 by Sphere (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Inquisition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inquisition

Andy
Felt totally immersed in the period, from the description of the small folk & their living standards to the battle of alchemists (witches & devil worshippers!) vs the Church (inquisitors), the alchemists being the “good guys” with the church portrayed as the ignorant zealots we know them to be.

The Templers are on the run throughout Europe or else under arrest as their whole faith is on trial for heresy & that’s the opening gambit of the mystery set C 1313 in Bologna along with the d
Pamela
Historical mystery set in 14th century Bologna. Doctor and professor Mondino de Liuzzi is working late dissecting a corpse when one of his students arrives, carrying a dead body. The dead man is a Templar, and the religious order are currently under investigation by order of the Pope. However, the circumstances of this man's death appear to relate more to sorcery, as his heart has been turned to iron. Mondino's curiosity and sympathy lead him to help the young student, but before long his own li ...more
Terri
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book brings me to another half star impasse. Not quite a 4 star book and yet I enjoyed it too much to give it 3 stars. The ideal solution. Half stars. Inquisition for me was a true 3.5 star read.

I have to say, I am rather surprised by the poor ratings this book has been given to date and it made me wonder whether this is not a book for someone who has no interest in history or historical fiction. I can only guess that some people pick it up expecting a 14th century Da vinci Code which it mo
Bobby
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced mystery occurring near the beginning of the Inquisiton years when torture was JUST getting started and not all the means of creating pain were perfected yet. A good accounting of the time period and creates the world of the 14th Century in pretty good detail. Several surprises along the with an ending that is believable and well constructed. Highly recommended for those that enjoy the historical period surrounding 14th and 15th century Europe.
Marty
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad novel. It really wasn't a great one either. At best it was an entertaining diversion. The plot was interesting enough, the murder of two Templars who mysteriously have their hearts turned into iron by some form of alchemy. The characters were all interesting, to a point - the problem is that, as with a lot of contemporary historical novels, they seemed a little too 20th-21st century in their speech and attitudes. This was supposed to be the 14th century after all. At times some ...more
David Grieve
A not very exciting thriller set in 14th Century Italy with the feeling of historical thriller by numbers. It's a bit predictable, though not entirely, and I was left with the feeling of a fairly average story wrapped in the dressing of the period.

Its major failing is its inability to convey a sense of time and place - I got no real feel for the period or the power of the inquisition. It was all a bit mechanical. The other issue for me was that none of the characters were particularly sympatheti
Tom Lloyd
I must admit, I never finished it. I got halfway and then asked myself if it'd be a disaster if I went and read something else instead. I don't like giving up on books unless I hate them and this wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. in fact, it made almost zero impact on me except to think that I don't like Italian male authors because their style always sounds stuffy and dry (unscientific a judgement as I've only read a handful but..). The plot seemed pretty unremarkable, ditto the prose, the chara ...more
Gill
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a 3.5 star rating. Very readable, the descriptive historical text brings the setting to life, rather than being dry as is sometimes the case.
Tasha
A good mystery. I enjoyed the little cliffhangers and the story itself was a good one.
Chequers
Come si dice qui in UK, "niente per cui scrivere a casa".
Colitto ha il merito, nel panorama sterile odierno, almeno di usare una prosa un po' piu' articolata, ma alla fine questo libro non mi ha dato nessuna emozione, ed in alcuni tratti l'ho anche trovato molto noioso. Come ha detto qualcuno prima di me, un libro "tiepido".
Martin
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many instances of "he went and..." "to try and" etc, but generally enjoyable.
Lucy Cokes
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. I wasn't too inspired to pick up this book half the time and I had a problem with how some of the characters were treated. I got fed up with the Inquisitor and thought the antagonist was silly.
Julia Molloy
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Following the receipt of a letter threatening to reveal the truth, a man is murdered and his heart is turned into iron. When Mondino, an esteemed local physician, is brought the corpse by his student Gerardo, they are thrown into a maddening and dangerous chase for the truth.

Alfredo Colitto’s Inquisition, set in fourteenth-century Bologna, brings together the famous legend of the Knights Templar, the horror of the inquisition into that order, and a gripping crime thriller. There are a few strand
Terri

Marty82
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alchimia, Templari e Santa Inquisizione

Esordio brillante per quest'ottimo giallista italiano, capace di conquistare il lettore con atmosfere affascinanti e una trama accattivante e ben delineata.
La storia è ambientata nella Bologna del XIV secolo, il cui contesto è ricostruito egregiamente e con dovizia di particolari, risultando una cornice davvero interessante e indovinata per la vicenda ideata: scoprire com'erano questa città e le sue istituzioni agli albori della loro organizzazione è davve
RedSparrow
This book is certainly not subtle! The characters don't have complexity, the main character is from the start pitched as "Man of Science" with an intense devotion to the study of medicine and never develops any further. The plot is scarcely believable, the rhythm of the narration is quite queer, with time devoted to a Father's dandelion weeding habits and then rushing past plot development to fight scenes. The ending, wow! That made me laugh, Man of Science ends up with Woman of Science with no ...more
Maria Beltrami
Una complicata vendetta che coinvolge i Cavalieri Templari, già sotto processo, un innovatore della medicina di nome Mondino de' Liuzzi, realmente esistito, una fanciulla che da vittima diventa carnefice, popolani e fattucchiere nella Bologna medievale, il tutto condito da un inquisitore che è cattivo e antipatico come Eymerich, ma decisamente meno intelligente e carismatico.
Colitto si unisce ad altri scrittori di noir nostrani, che utilizzano come investigatori personaggi storici, per confezion
Dawn
May 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story is set in 1311 Bologna, Italy. The Templar Knights are disgraced and the Catholic Inquisition is starting its reign of terror. Anatomist, Mondino is drawn into a mystery by one of his university students, Gerardo. They must avoid both Inquisitors and Templars while solving murders by alchemy.

The inclusion of alchemy as the murder weapon was too theatrical for my taste. I would venture to say that this book was more about alchemy than the inquisition. The characters were underdeveloped
Merima Smajic
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bologna, Bella Italia- amidst a beautiful backdrop of lillies.... Just kidding. Serial murders, a physician obsessed with finding an ' elixir' a Templar knight in the middle of a arson/ murder charge and as if that wasn't enough a ruthless, bloodthirsty inquisitor wanting to stop at nothing to bring down the Templar order.
Fast paced, suspenseful with a smidgin of romance thrown in. Great reading.
Recommend!
Elena
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-novels
Scritto bene - cosa non così ovvia, specialmente ultimamente - e capace di farti entrare nell'atmosfera medievale grazie ad un linguaggio appropriato. La trama trascina, anche se un po' cruda e un po' fantasiosa. Quella che mi è sembrata debole è la fine, abbastanza scontata e un po' moraleggiante. Comunque Colitto mi è piaciuto come scrittore, la sua ricerca sui personaggi storici del romanzo è precisa, interessante e particolare.
Maria
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Schwan
A murder mystery set in Italy around 1300. The main characters are a medical doctor doing pioneering studies in anatomy, an inquisition-er, and an ex-templar. For the most part the story is predictable. The ending was well done and held a number of surprises. Sometimes there are books where the story starts out well, and the ending seems to be a bit of an afterthought. The story almost seems to drag, I'm not sure that could be changed, and make the ending work.
Vicki
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Maybe this lost something in translation from Italian to English. The story somehow, for me, didn't quite flow and connect up enough as it is more about the hunt for the killer than exposing the motive for the killings until near the end. I kept with it, but at times I wondered if it was ever going to actually go anywhere.
Karen wadey
This book was ok but not on the same level as C.J.Sansom. I found myself easily distracted whilst reading this. Unfortunately the characters were not engaging and the storyline was a bit slow. Might be a while before I read another.
Ashish Jaituni
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice novel set in the 12th century. It's got everything - Templars, Inquisitors, Archbishops, Alchemy, Sorceress, Gruesome murders and a good story which is well described. Never a dull moment! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book!
Gary
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice 14th century mystery set in Italy.

One major issue with this particular ebook version. It is, probably, the worst edited book I have ever read. Whoever the editor was, he/she should be ashamed.
Cecilia
It was okay. I liked how the main character dealt with the stupidity that was the Inquisition but I think the book over-stated the organisation of the Templer. Okay, for light reading, maybe in the gym on the treadmill while exercising? :) ceciliawyu.wordpress.com
Sian Wadey
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
I'm giving up on this book. It doesn't hold my attention at all and I can't keep track of all the characters because everybody's name was so similar. I've read it the last two nights and can't remember for the life of me what I've read!
Simon Gosden
In 1311, a University Anatomist in Bologna is presented with a corpse whose heart has been transformed into iron. Aided by a young Templar, Mondino has to solve the mystery and find the murderer before he himself is executed for the crime.
adam-p-reviews
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical, crime
Check out my review of this brilliant book at http://adam-p-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/...#
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Ancient & Medieva...: JUNE 2012 (Group Read 2): Inquisition by Alfredo Colitto 224 161 Aug 29, 2015 03:02AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong page count 2 9 May 20, 2014 02:52PM
  • Per mano mia: Il Natale del commissario Ricciardi
  • The King's Spy (Thomas Hill, #1)
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • Apple Of My Eye
  • Il gioco delle tre carte
  • The Map
  • A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury
  • Serial killer: storie di ossessione omicida
  • Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #4)
  • The Secret Archives of Sherlock Holmes
  • Devoured
  • Se ti abbraccio non aver paura: Il viaggio di Franco e Andrea
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra
  • Kings of Albion
  • The Malice of Unnatural Death (Knights Templar, #22)
  • The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)
  • Plague Land (Somershill Manor Mystery, #1)
At the age of thirty, after leaving any hope of adapting to a nine-to-five job, Alfredo Colitto decided to follow his passion for travelling and began journeying around the world. He spent some years in Mexico, and now lives in Bologna, Italy, with his wife Ana Luz and Agata, his cat.
He published the novels Aritmia Letale (Addictions, 2003, under the alias of Alfredo Sereni), Bodhi Tree (Crisalide
More about Alfredo Colitto...